PDA

View Full Version : Kit number 5 install

snowbird
06-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I just had my FIT Procharger kit installed Friday the 24th in Lexena (Kansas city) and here is my first comments.

My needs were a bit different than others since I wanted this car to perform work and family duties 12 months a year even in harsh winters. So stealth, drivability and reliability are the qualities I’m looking for beside some consideration over budget. So I went for a behind the grill intercooler install (safer when going trough snow banks) and a safe 10 degree base timing to make it able to work with the weak 91 Canadian octane rating. This should cost me about, I guess, 25 hp from the base 440 + Hp numbers the others are getting but it’s an OK compromise for my usage.

First of all, I would like to warmly thanks Greg and associate Mike for the outstanding service they gave me to perform this mod. As you probably know, the Procharger is one of the easiest to install and is really non invasive. It took a bit over 6 hours, right in long tubes territory times but what a difference does it make !

We have had 2 small difficulties on start-up: A faulty thermostat O ring had to be replaced, a 15 minutes correction using the old one and a faulty Diablo tuner that we also changed in no time.

We then went for some checkout readings and when everything looked right as planned (with no change on the base tune furnished in the kit), we … well, kind of went wild a little bit !!

Mike explained me how to brake the converter a bit and we did nice 100 foot trails on the publicly held secret Procharger testing ground circuit that were as good as the Auburn I installed a month ago would permit.. This was done in 105 degree weather on the regular 255-55-18 street tires I’m running.. WHOOO OOO. We did a few more “pass” and the IAT stayed acceptable even in that frying pan day.

After some bye bye, I had to do the final endurance test by going back home over 1650 miles away without any kind of a problem beside having to resist every other minutes to leave vacuum and going deep in the positive pressure zone. Greg phoned me after my arrival, telling me he is already working on improving the already good base tune with some changes in the parameters, notably the transmission programming. Now, that’s good service !.

I’m really impressed with this kit: The install is so easy, it’s like black magic. The driveability is also really good, below 2500 rpm the car run like before, the blower noise is subdued and can only be heard a little bit at idle but disappear after take off. That thing is really smooth on drivelines offduty. When in a sportier mood, press the fun pedal and the car jump forward very fast in the 3-5 pounds area effortlessly and if you’re in the “take no prisoner” mood, well, floor it and get ready for that funny despicable smile that will make every other look like the coyote in those olds cartoons.

Upon my calculation, a 3700 lbs 2003 stock Cobra have about the same power to weight ratio than a Marauder with that kit and exhaust. While there might be faster cars around, especially in magazines at price that we cannot afford anyway, a “automatic 4 door Cobra” that can run in the snow and carry 4-5 adults comfortably is really nice too. We’ve got only one life so let’s do it supercharged !!! Talking about that, I know other kits exists and they also have their qualities. I’m not comparing this kit to the others but simply saying that this one, is a good one and can even get upgraded easily in a lot nastier for the ones who, say, don’t have a divorced ex to feed !!

P.S. My mileage was 20.69 miles to a gallon on the go trip before the install and 19.96 miles to a gallon on the way back (with a 4.10 gear, Kooks and stock converter). Granted, the trip was mostly offboost but the cost of supercharging on the highway is, precisely in my case, a mere 0.73 mile per gallon. Not very much of a price to pay for a nasty and cruel dragon under the hood.

MarauderMark
06-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the collective . Resistance to boost is futile..:burn:

MarauderTJA
06-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Glad to hear that your install and trip went well. Best of luck with your new found power. :banana2:

SergntMac
06-26-2005, 06:42 PM
So...Just how did you get that ProCharger crap over the border?

It's a drug, yes?

HwyCruiser
06-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Snowbird, it was nice to get the chance to meet and chat with you for a little while when you were here. That was quite a trip for the Pro install but it sounds like it was worth the miles.

I'm glad to hear you made it back safe and sound. I heard a bit about your brake-torquing education from Greg too. :D

Have fun with your new power!

snowbird
06-26-2005, 08:40 PM
So...Just how did you get that ProCharger crap over the border?

It's a drug, yes?
LOL It's a vacuum leak !

snowbird
06-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Snowbird, it was nice to get the chance to meet and chat with you for a little while when you were here. That was quite a trip for the Pro install but it sounds like it was worth the miles.

I'm glad to hear you made it back safe and sound. I heard a bit about your brake-torquing education from Greg too. :D

Have fun with your new power!
It was nice to meet you too. To see people after all those kind of anonymous posts is nice and confirm that there are a lot of good people on this site.

We're lucky.

bigslim
06-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Congrats on joining the "Superchaged Family" of MM's. Enjoy your new found power.

ckadiddle
06-27-2005, 07:00 AM
..."With Great Power comes Great Responsibility"... ;)

Bradley G
06-27-2005, 07:18 AM
Great story!

Congradulations on making you Marauder into street beast!
Good thing Canada, does not have a tariff on Horsepower!:D
Have Fun and Way to Represent! :rasta:
Bradlee GEE

maraudernkc
07-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Yvon, It was a pleasure to have you stay at my house. Being French of course, Yvon brought some great wine and we did drink it all. I took him to Chipolte where he had the biggest burrito you can get and I explained to him that's why some of us American's need big cars like the Marauder. :help:

My parrtner did the test drive with Yvon and made sure there were no leakes and we were good with the tune. My partner decided to give Yvon some tire smoking lessons. It took Yvon a couple of times to get the hang of it but when he did he was doing a 100 footer sideways and my partner had to grab his leg of the go pedal. :burnout: Those crazy candians. :)

Yvon, left with only 10 degrees of timing and the car car was still lighting up the tires and he has no stall converter.We lowered the timing because of the poor quality of gas in Canada.

I still can't beleive he drove 1600 miles back with only a 2 Hour break.

Cheeseheadbob
07-12-2005, 09:04 AM
:burnout: I'm sitting here drooling on my keyboard just thinking about how and when I can drop some supercharging into my ride!! Bon chance avec votre tres grande vitesse!!! I thinks that's French for "Awesome Dude!!!"

maraudernkc
07-12-2005, 12:10 PM
I will take some beer in trade for a supercharger. Ship some down and let me try it. :)

:burnout: I'm sitting here drooling on my keyboard just thinking about how and when I can drop some supercharging into my ride!! Bon chance avec votre tres grande vitesse!!! I thinks that's French for "Awesome Dude!!!"

Cheeseheadbob
07-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I no longer brew for a living, but I have some good friends who still do. Let me know what you want and I can make it happen. I am partial to ales, but my good friend at a sizable brewery here does lagers as well. No joke, let me know! I do not know what the supercharger would run, but I imagine I need to reserve a couple of 53' reefers to even come close!:beer:
I will take some beer in trade for a supercharger. Ship some down and let me try it. :)

snowbird
07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I will take some beer in trade for a supercharger. Ship some down and let me try it. :)Could i get that V10 or a forged block in exchange of a crate of maple sirup for your pancake ??!! :D It's a nice addition to those beers ...