PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on New Marauder

Dave Compson
08-26-2002, 10:35 PM
I am going to purchase a marauder in less than a month. The dealer has quoted me a price around 34k. My question to the group is how much you all paid, did you get the extended warranty, how much was that? Any options? Any help would be helpful. I dont want to get screwed, this car is pricy for me. I plan to keep it for a long time, so i am willing to pay. Just i want to have the knowledge prior to going into the dealership. Any suggestions?

Also, whats the deal with the spoiler? Price, aval???

Thanks
Dave

WJSOLOMON
08-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Dave Compson: "I am going to purchase a marauder in less than a month. The dealer has quoted me a price around 34k. My question to the group is how much you all paid, did you get the extended warranty, how much was that? Any options? Any help would be helpful. I dont want to get screwed, this car is pricy for me. I plan to keep it for a long time, so I am willing to pay. It's just I want to have the knowledge prior to going into the dealership. Any suggestions?
Also, whats the deal with the spoiler? Price, avaibility????
Thanks, Dave"

Dave - Each of us has to reach a point at our own individual time of purchase, as to what a Car is Actually worth for us, to plunk down the bucks. Based on what all else there is out there in the Market for you to choose from today around $35 K, with this much Performance, Ride Quality, Luxury, and Unique Style & Look, it's going to be hard to beat. You can turn it into a Real BMW "Eater" with the Performance Upgrades currently available from Reinhart Automotive, as many of us already have, and still have LESS than $38,000.00 including (0.5%) Tax, Title, Documentary Fees, and all other Service Fees to send you out the door and on the Road with a pretty selective and elite group of less than 18,000 other Proud Owners.

See how close you can get them to $34 K, and have them Credit you for Installing the Rear Spoiler ($300.00 +/-) when it's available, then the Tax / Title etc., should keep you just under $36 K, and still have room to add the Performance Upgrade Package available from Dennis Reinhart's Performance Center, the most Motivated Sponsor of this Web Site that has thrown in with us to date. (He has his own eye on one of the New Pearl Blue Metallics coming out later in the year.)

The Dealer makes a little additional Profit on selling you the Extended Warranty, so try and negotiate a discount on it as well. If you're going to keep the Car beyond the Manufacturer's Bumper-Bumper Warranty Terms and Conditions (3 Years / 36 K Miles?), then by all means protect your Investment with the Extended Warranty. They sell it like Term Insurance Policies, so be willing to throw it on the Pile, for a more competitive Bottom Line Price. If you'll click on "Ron Rush Lincoln Mercury" in Columbus, Ohio, you can see both the Invoice and MSRP listed for all of the availabe Marauders currently on stock. You could call them for a Straight-Out Price, and ask your Local Dealer to match it Their Sales have momentarily hit a slump, so you'll likely find a lot of them available on the Web.

Best of Luck in sharpening your Negoiating Skills!
MERCURY MARAUDER - THE ULTIMATE DOMESTIC LUXURY / PERFORMANCE DRIVING MACHINE!"

:D ;) :cool:

lshultz
08-27-2002, 04:05 AM
Dave,
I have not purchased it yet , however, one of my local dealers quoted me a price of $32,930 plus tax, etc. etc., but I am hanging in there for the Pearl Blue color with the light flint interior...by the way, the 32K quote was in response to another dealer quoting me a $33,380 price..geez, a bidding war on a new car...who would have guessed....
Leon Shultz

Logan
08-27-2002, 07:07 AM
32930 is about $500 over dealer invoice, I'd take it. It's well below MSRP. Unless you have access to A/X plan, you won't do any better.

lshultz
08-27-2002, 08:14 AM
Logan,
How right you are.. I told the dealer that I was going to wait till the Pearl Blue/Light Flint combo came out and he stated that the price would be the same unless the Pearl Blue paint was an extra cost color...I would make up the diff...no problem here...I am like a kid before Christmas...finding it hard to wait to open the packages...
Leon

Dave Compson
08-27-2002, 08:22 AM
I will do my best to neg. the best price. For me, i would like to get somewhere around 35 out the door. Although i dont know if thats going to happen. I still hope to be financed by my credit union. I dont really want to go with ford credit. And i DONT want to get into a lease.

So, about 300 for the spoiler? Maybe i can have them throw it in like you all said.

What do you all think about bringing information from the net with me to show lower prices as a tool to have my dealer lower the price a little?

Again, thanks alot.

I am happy this forum exists, and for that matter. This site is great! No vic cop impersonators around. Bickering with each other about stupid things.

Dave

Logan
08-27-2002, 08:52 AM
The best weapon is knowledge. If you KNOW what the dealer is paying for the vehicle, and you know that Ford gives them a 3% holdback margin, you can negotiate a fair price pretty easily. They won't give away the farm, heck they need to make SOME money, but they certainly have room to play with you.

If the first dealer you try doesn't feel like playing, that's fine, just go see another one and tell them what you're doing. Theyt may just give you a deal just to get your business.

As for financing, I've gone through peoplefirst.com a number of times. If you have good credit, they're rates are pretty darn low.

lshultz
08-27-2002, 09:27 AM
Dave,
Going to the dealer armed with another dealer's price will only work if all dealers concerned are in the same area...The dealer in Las Vegas isn't going to give a poop about the price in Chesapeake Virginia and so on and so on, so like Logan said, "the best weapon is knowledge"...get informed of existing perks and hold back percentage if you can and go to carsdirect, msn carpoint, or carconnection to find out msrp/invoice/target price... and don't be afraid to haggle and walk out if necessary...they might come down a little to get you back, and if not go somewhere else if possible...you can always accept the final offer if they dont call you back...(as a last resort...along with a little bent pride)
Leon

bozobill
08-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Dave,

Preordered my MM in early April from my nephew, a salesman at a Chicago dealership. Dealer got two, I got the first one. Came with 6-disc changer. Sales manager was so upset with broken delivery promises from Merc that he pulled another $500.00 off the dealer invoice. Out the door on 6-27-02: $31,748.00 net! The dealer kept the holdback. ( my nephew needed to get a little commission, right?)

Don't forget to include edmunds.com when researching dealer cost and holdback percentages. Also try to find a dealer who has not moved the units he bought. Someone indicated that a New Jersey dealer had 8 or 9. If he hasn't moved them, the laws of supply and demand may get them closer to dealer invoice ($32,248.00 w/6-disc. "Floor-plan" costs hurt dealers a bunch. Move 'em in, move 'em out is the law they live by!

PeoplesFirst: Logan, you are correct! excellent lending service. credit approved within 2 hours over the internet. best rate if you do auto withdrawal from your checking account.

Dave Compson
08-27-2002, 07:49 PM
I appreciate all the help. Thanks to this site, i am learning more and more. So when i go into the dealership, ill be prepared.

Dave

smith5365
08-28-2002, 05:12 PM
Local dealer in Anaheim, CA has 5 Marauder's on his lot. Seems dealer asking prices should be getting softer. I'm holding out for at least a Blue one if the convertible doesn't get the go ahead.

Dave Compson
08-29-2002, 09:22 AM
I may be interested in traveling out of state for a deal. But i dont want to go to california. I am from there, and i know there is a difference in vehicles made to be sold in california. I would much rather have a 49 state car. Ca. has all that clean air stuff. Here in nevada, the only thing lingering in the air is dust from all the construction, and nuke waste from yucca mt. and the test site.

Dave (three eyes) from vegas

BISHOPSS95
08-29-2002, 01:26 PM
It's an emotional purchase. You love the car. Care less about fuel, insurance, tires, and price?

Buy it! Mod it! Fix it! Shine it!

Have fun with it most of all. Its worth the price of admission.

:D

bnvus
09-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Is there still a seperate requirement for California vehicles? I thought that manufacturer's have been making 50 state legal cars now. What is the difference in the newer cars? Anyone Anyone...