PDA

View Full Version : Wheel lock Key Missing...what to do?

Breadfan
06-27-2005, 01:40 PM
So, in typical "me" fashion when I do something I do it good. :)

I've got two cars now with missing keys to the wheel locks. First the Marauder, probably easily fixed as I don't think the dealer gave me one. OK I know they didn't GIVE me one, but I also can't find it in the glovebox or trunk. They dealer said it's probably in there and to just look around. In the event I don't find it, I intend to make them fix that.

This prevented me from doing a quick brake inspection before my long trip.

So that one the dealer may fix.

However I have the same problem on my '90 mustang. This time it was my dumbness. :) I was REALLY tired and burned out one weekend and thought it'd be a great idea to do the front brakes. Turned out the pads were fine so I put the wheels back on and went home.

I forgot about the key and left it ON THE LOCKING LUG. It made a 30 mile trip back to my apartment still on the lug.

I spotted it as I drove by in my other car, stuck on the rim. But again it slipped my mind and I hopped in the 'stang a few days later and took it for a spin. Came home and was walking back to my house and was like "OH NO! THE KEY!" Sure enough, it's GONE. :(

So that one for sure can't be replaced.

How do I get them off??? Can I do it myself or just take it to a shop? Can a shop use some sort of special tool or universal key? Or possibly rekey your locks?

Maybe when the dealer doesn't find the key for me and they have to fix it I'll ask how they do it, then see how much they charge to get the mustang's off or rekeyed.

Hopefully they'll not be difficult and get me my key for the Marauder, if not and it's easy to take them off myself I'd just assume take them off and buy a new set for $20. But I hear it can take like 45 minutes per wheel to extract them...and that's for an experienced thief!! (Which I am not, just a somwaht experience mechanical guy.)

MainEngDwarf
06-27-2005, 02:38 PM
I had the same problem with my Bronco. There is a special tool for removing thr locking lug when the key isn't avalible. Itryed to buy one but couldn't find it locally. However most reputable shops (particularly tire shops) will have it. I got the local shop to remove mine and they didn't even charge me aything.
Good Luck :D

fastblackmerc
06-27-2005, 03:38 PM
I had the same problem with my Bronco. There is a special tool for removing thr locking lug when the key isn't avalible. Itryed to buy one but couldn't find it locally. However most reputable shops (particularly tire shops) will have it. I got the local shop to remove mine and they didn't even charge me aything.
Good Luck :D
Or you can try the hammer & chisel trick. :D

CRUZTAKER
06-27-2005, 04:41 PM
You don't mention the manufacturer of the wheel lock.

The Ford dealer should have masters for the McGards.

Rkammer
06-27-2005, 05:13 PM
You mean these cars come from the factory with wheel locks? I didn't get one with mine either but it doesn't look like I have any locks on my wheels. What gives?

Breadfan
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Were they stock? If not I'm not sure, same for hte Mustang, unless they're stamped on the locks.

Thanks guys, I'll have to take the 'stang to a shop then, I do't mind payig a few bucks to save me from spending a few hours with a chisel and hammer. :)

CRUZTAKER
06-27-2005, 05:30 PM
McGards are/were an option in the accesories catalogue. Some of the higher end vehicles (ie.Navigator) may have come with them, but not free on the Marauders. A few cars may have come with them as a result of the dealer trying to protect their investment as many dealerships had their Marauders stripped of all/some of their wheels during the night. If that was the case, they should have provided you with the lock socket.

Being Ford Lincoln Mercury offers this brand (as I stated above), they have the tools and masters in their service department.

Shaft333
06-27-2005, 05:40 PM
I have the universal tool to remove locking lugs. It's simply a round tapered impact socket.
Works beautifully.
If I remember right, I purchased it from Northern tool or something like. It was an online source. So a Google search should bring it up.

Locking lugs suck for this very reason.

Bluerauder
06-27-2005, 05:44 PM
McGards are/were an option in the accesories catalogue. Some of the higher end vehicles (ie.Navigator) may have come with them, but not free on the Marauders.
I picked up the current 2005 accessories catalogue. :D Wheel Locks shown in the catalogue are Ford Anti-Theft Wheel Locks, Part No. 1A043 and are listed for the Mariner, Montego, Monterey, Mountaineer, and Sable. Didn't see any McGards or any listed for Grand Marquis or Marauder. May be special order or from an older catalogue. :rolleyes:

My Ford dealer lost my wheel keylug during a service on my '94 Thunderbird LX. Unfortunately, I didn't discover the problem until some time later. The result was the airgun, hammer and chisel routine. I had the shop prepare a bill for the cost to remove them and damages to the lugs themselves. Then, I drove it down to the dealer and and presented it to him for reimbursement and replacements. They reluctantly agreed after he realized I had four Fords parked in my driveway and he wasn't gonna sacrifice a good customer over a small problem. Sometimes you just have to assert your rights as a customer. :D

Breadfan
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
I had the wonderful fortune of purchasing my MM used from a Chrylser dealer. (Apparently this MM owner got hooked by a hemi...I think a 300C)

Anyway, I may try to find one of these universal ones online, I'm sure this won't be the last time I come across this problem. Plenty of people bring me their car troubles. :)

The fact that I can go online and purchase a universal key for these makes me think someone who WANTS to steal rims is gonna have the same thing.

I got wierded out when I locked my keys in the Mustang once and some wierd lady stopped when driving by and handed me a slim jim. (Not the beef jerky type.) It looked well worn too...I ended up using a wire hanger to snag my 8-ball lock tops. :)

Bluerauder
06-27-2005, 06:28 PM
I had the wonderful fortune of purchasing my MM used from a Chrylser dealer. (Apparently this MM owner got hooked by a hemi...I think a 300C)
At my L-M dealer today I saw a 300 Limited sitting in the lot. It was stickered as a 5.7 liter Hemi. No hemi badges on the fenders, no 300C hemi indicator on on the rear. I think the 300 Limited has the smaller engine package .... maybe even the 2.8L :eek:

I went in and called this apparent error to the attention of the sales people. Sure hope some sucker doesn't drive it off the used car lot thinking he's got himself a Hemi. :rolleyes:

Blackened300a
06-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I bought my 67 GTO with wheel locks on the rims and no KEY!! So I broke out the old grinder and grinded the lug into a half-ass nut shape, then I hammered on whatever Impact socket that fit the closest on it and used my impact to take it off. However, Due to the shape of the marauder rim, the Grinder may not be the best idea!! Im pretty sure your local tire shop has the tool to remove the lug. That would be the safest and cheapest way of going about it

Just my :twocents:

CRUZTAKER
06-27-2005, 07:36 PM
I picked up the current 2005 accessories catalogue. :D Wheel Locks shown in the catalogue are Ford Anti-Theft Wheel Locks, Part No. 1A043 and are listed for the Mariner, Montego, Monterey, Mountaineer, and Sable. Didn't see any McGards or any listed for Grand Marquis or Marauder. ..... :D
I stand corrected....my catalog (after actually reading it) says the same.

Perhaps it was just my dealer doing it. Liberty here in town used to offer the McGards when they sold vehicles with nicer wheels.

MENINBLK
06-27-2005, 07:46 PM
I picked up the current 2005 accessories catalogue. :D Wheel Locks shown in the catalogue are Ford Anti-Theft Wheel Locks, Part No. 1A043 and are listed for the Mariner, Montego, Monterey, Mountaineer, and Sable. Didn't see any McGards or any listed for Grand Marquis or Marauder. May be special order or from an older catalogue. :rolleyes:

The FORD Wheel locks are made by McGuard.
The packages are McGuard packages with a FORD logo on them.
The CV/GM uses a 1/2" x 20 lug, while the other vehicles you mention use a 12mm x 20 lug.
That's why the CV/GM are listed separately.
They are probably the only vehicles on the road that don't use metric lugs.

When I bought my Marauder, my dealership picked up my Marauder from another dealer.
The originating dealer had the wheel locks in the glove box.
When I took delivery of the Marauder, I asked my salesman about them, not knowing where they came from,
and he told me as long as they fit the Marauder to keep them, he didn't know where they came from either.
I ended up giving them back to him to give to another customer that needed them more than I did.

I replaced all my lugs with Gorilla Locking lugs anyway.
They are purdier, shinier, and chip/rust resistantier.

GA-Marauder
06-27-2005, 09:35 PM
MANY custom wheel shops have a large selection of wheel lock keys. If you have any in the area, try visiting them. We had the same problem with my son's car (can't remember the brand name of the custom wheels) and Butler Tire here in Marietta, GA, which handles a large number of custom wheels, came to our rescue with the exact key.

SergntMac
06-27-2005, 10:19 PM
I have the universal tool to remove locking lugs. It's simply a round tapered impact socket. Works beautifully. If I remember right, I purchased it from Northern tool or something like. It was an online source. So a Google search should bring it up. Locking lugs suck for this very reason.
Yes, and everyone else in the free world has access to that tool too, not that all of them need it, eh?

In your parlance, wheel locks "suck", and I agree. In my parlance, locking lug nuts are a worthless mod offering no protection, and they are a poor investment in emotional security as well. The thief that wants your MM wheels and/or tires, will get them. No doubt about it.

You can't stop that, nor prevent it. Aftermarket locks, like McGuard, Gorilla, what ever, are worthless. All they do for any of us, is screw up our service appointment with our dealer/wrench.

If y'all wasted any money on this crap, well, it was your decision, eh? Can't help that.

N40GL
06-28-2005, 06:46 AM
I have the universal tool to remove locking lugs. It's simply a round tapered impact socket.

You can also try the "thief solution". Get a couple of very thin-walled sockets thaqt 'sorta' fit the lock keyway (the little puzzle part). Take your hammer and smack them into that puzzle piece until they grab enough to back the locking nut out. Throw the sockets and wheel locks away and, if so inclined, get a new set.

How do I know this? When these 'puzzle locks' were introduced in 1970, the manufacturer (mighta been McGard, but I don't think so) held a contest in Long Beach, CA (at the then-F1 race) with the grand prize of a new Datsun 240Z to the person who could remove the wheel locks from that car on display. Much to the manufacturer's chagrin, the winner removed the locks about 10 minutes after the car went on display. It took that long because he had to go to the auto parts store and buy a couple of sockets to see what fit.

Mark

MENINBLK
06-28-2005, 06:56 AM
In my parlance, locking lug nuts are a worthless mod offering no protection,
and they are a poor investment in emotional security as well.
The thief that wants your MM wheels and/or tires,
will get them. No doubt about it.

You can't stop that, nor prevent it. Aftermarket locks, like McGuard, Gorilla, what ever, are worthless.
All they do for any of us, is screw up our service appointment with our dealer/wrench.

If y'all wasted any money on this crap, well, it was your decision, eh? Can't help that.

I glad to see you are excersizing your Freedom of Opinion !

By your opinion, a 60" widescreen television is also a worthless investment
because it shows the same picture a 13" television does.

Wheel locks are a deterrent for the amateur thief.
If someone was stupid enough to take my Marauder wheels
and leave the Marauder, they should have their head examined...

I have Gorilla locks all around, and all 20 lugs.
I also invested in 2 keys. One stays with ME, and the other stays at home.
When my Marauder goes in for service, my key goes with it
and I make sure I get my key back.
If my dealer ever loses the key, I"ll make sure he takes $10 off the bill to cover a replacement.

In New York, we feel more secure with unnecessary accessories...

SergntMac
06-28-2005, 07:58 AM
I never compared the two TV images you suggest, but now that you have, you bring up a good point to consider the next time I am debating a television purchase. Guess it is all the same picture, just a matter of how far from the tube you want to sit.

Thanks for sharing your anti-theft solution too. One question though, are your wheels theft-proof, or, are you just making the morally weak sweat a bit longer at the curb?

There are many ways to defeat wheel locks, some are rather ingenious too. But, all of them can be defeated nonetheless. If that leaves you upset with me for saying so, well okay.

Bluerauder
06-28-2005, 09:23 AM
One question though, are your wheels theft-proof, or, are you just making the morally weak sweat a bit longer at the curb?
Someone must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today ?? :dunno: Bad mood shows on your last several posts. :(

Most thefts are crimes of convenience or opportunity. Wheels locks impose the inconvenience of having to work a little harder to get at the protected wheels. Most times the thieves will just go look for an easier target. :rolleyes:

Yes, your point is well taken ... if they want 'em bad enough and are willing to spend the energy to do it ... the wheels can be stolen and so can the car. Fortunately, most theives are looking for easy money. Take away the "easy" part and they just might leave your baby alone. IMHO.

Anybody want to use the :soapbox: now ... I'm done !!! :rofl:

Breadfan
06-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Hey guys wasn't lookin' to start arguments here, just looking to take my wheels off. ;)

Anyway, by not most know that wheel locks will not prevent your wheels from getting stolen, but they can stop a punk or amateur from walking off with them.

I look at it like a locked car. A locked car can be broken into easily, but most thiefs will not bother a locked car if an unlocked car sits next to it. Wheel locks may not prevent wheel theft, but for $20 they could help. They do become inconvenient without a key though... :)

The good thing about wheel locks is that they're an option. If you like 'em use 'em, if you don't, then you don't have to. Best of both worlds.

fastblackmerc
06-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Hey guys wasn't lookin' to start arguments here, just looking to take my wheels off. ;)

Anyway, by not most know that wheel locks will not prevent your wheels from getting stolen, but they can stop a punk or amateur from walking off with them.

I look at it like a locked car. A locked car can be broken into easily, but most thiefs will not bother a locked car if an unlocked car sits next to it. Wheel locks may not prevent wheel theft, but for $20 they could help. They do become inconvenient without a key though... :)

The good thing about wheel locks is that they're an option. If you like 'em use 'em, if you don't, then you don't have to. Best of both worlds.
Nicely put..... Most any "security device" just keeps the honest people honest.

CRUZTAKER
06-28-2005, 04:03 PM
The FORD Wheel locks are made by McGuard.
The packages are McGuard packages with a FORD logo on them.

OK...I stand corrected corrected....and now I sit. Soon I shall lay down. ;)

Bartend! Another shot and beer please...:rasta:

SergntMac
06-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Someone must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today ?? :dunno: Bad mood shows on your last several posts.
I have no idea what you mean.

Tallboy
06-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Yes, and everyone else in the free world has access to that tool too, not that all of them need it, eh?

In your parlance, wheel locks "suck", and I agree. In my parlance, locking lug nuts are a worthless mod offering no protection, and they are a poor investment in emotional security as well. The thief that wants your MM wheels and/or tires, will get them. No doubt about it.

You can't stop that, nor prevent it. Aftermarket locks, like McGuard, Gorilla, what ever, are worthless. All they do for any of us, is screw up our service appointment with our dealer/wrench.

If y'all wasted any money on this crap, well, it was your decision, eh? Can't help that.If I'm understanding your reasoning correctly, and I think I am, you must not ever lock your car doors or your home, right? I mean, you'd just be slowing down an honest thief, right?

Lighten up, Mac.

JimmyXR7
06-28-2005, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=Breadfan]So, in typical "me" fashion when I do something I do it good. :)
I've got two cars now with missing keys to the wheel locks.
I forgot about the key and left it ON THE LOCKING LUG. It made a 30 mile trip back to my apartment still on the lug.

I spotted it as I drove by in my other car, stuck on the rim. But again it slipped my mind and I hopped in the 'stang a few days later and took it for a spin. Came home and was walking back to my house and was like "OH NO! THE KEY!" Sure enough, it's GONE. :([QUOTE]

Man, you guys drink more than me!!!!! I know where my wheel locks are. They are in the same place for all of my cars.
When keys were simple I payed a buck and had ones made and I put the spares in my wallet.
Now I have to call home to get the spare Factory key if lock it in on some of my vehicles. I really like the door number key pad on my MM. I will probably need to get my keys out sometime.
My dad always kept the doors unlocked on his vehicles so the thief would not break the window. He also did not use wheel locks.
I like my cars and wheels with locks.
Jim

jgc61sr2002
06-29-2005, 04:33 PM

If my dealer ever loses the key, I"ll make sure he takes $10 off the bill to cover a replacement.

In New York, we feel more secure with unnecessary accessories...

What Pete said^^^^^^^

I used the MCGard locks from my 2000 GM. :D

SergntMac
06-29-2005, 06:02 PM

In New York, we feel more secure with unnecessary accessories.

Someone must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today ?? :dunno: Bad mood shows on your last several posts. :(

Most thefts are crimes of convenience or opportunity. Wheels locks impose the inconvenience of having to work a little harder to get at the protected wheels. Most times the thieves will just go look for an easier target. :rolleyes:

Yes, your point is well taken ... if they want 'em bad enough and are willing to spend the energy to do it ... the wheels can be stolen and so can the car. Fortunately, most theives are looking for easy money. Take away the "easy" part and they just might leave your baby alone. IMHO.

Anybody want to use the :soapbox: now ... I'm done !!! :rofl:

If I'm understanding your reasoning correctly, and I think I am, you must not ever lock your car doors or your home, right? I mean, you'd just be slowing down an honest thief, right? Lighten up, Mac.
Hehehe...Y'all are so off base, this thread is funny again. eh?

Breadfan
06-30-2005, 07:54 AM
[

Man, you guys drink more than me!!!!! I know where my wheel locks are. They are in the same place for all of my cars.
When keys were simple I payed a buck and had ones made and I put the spares in my wallet.
Now I have to call home to get the spare Factory key if lock it in on some of my vehicles. I really like the door number key pad on my MM. I will probably need to get my keys out sometime.
My dad always kept the doors unlocked on his vehicles so the thief would not break the window. He also did not use wheel locks.
I like my cars and wheels with locks.
Jim
The wheel lock keys are like sockets, don't fit in a wallet. If they were actual keys like a door key I wouldn't have any problem. I've only locked my keys in the car once, it was my fault as I left the keys in the ignition and went to talk to someone at work. Walked by to my car, shut the door and walked off. 2 hours later I was like "wait, where are my keys?"

The MM never came with one, and the Mustang, yeah, that was my fault, and I wasn't even drinking! :)

Magicape
06-30-2005, 08:20 AM
If you coat the end of the locking lug with magic marker and take a print of it on a piece of paper, then fax to McGaurd, they can send a replacement. Also, the bag that the lugs originally can in has a code number from which a replacement can be ordered--