PDA

View Full Version : Super 40 Mufflers and Magnaflow "X" pipe

DeputyCSChavez
07-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Just recieved all my parts to begin the upgrade to my MM exhaust system. I did alot of research and decided to go with Flowmaster mufflers and the Magnaflow "X" pipe. But I'm still undecided about wether to remove the rear set of cats or just leave them alone since they are not monitored by OBD2. In anycase, I'll be having the old "H" pipe section and the original Ford mufflers removed tomorrow. Does anyone have thier MM configured with the rear set of cats removed?:flag:

torinodan
07-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Humm, hold on a sec

RF Overlord
07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Deputy, before I say anything, let me issue the standard disclaimer: tampering with the cats is a federal offence, and some states are more aggressive than others about enforcing those regulations.

I read on here somewhere that some states require the inspector to verify that the cats are physically present, and in the correct quantity, so before you hack-up your exhaust system, you might want to check with a local muscle-car club, for instance, to see if you may have any issues down the road. Other states only verify that tailpipe emissions are below their established threshold and don't care how you got there.

DeputyCSChavez
07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the info RF but the county in which I currently reside does not requier mandatory emissions testing. Legally, the vehicle may be operated in that configuration for Off Road use only. And yes, it is against federal law to modify or alter the emission system of a passenger vehicle that is used on "public" roadways. As a law officer, I also enforce the traffic laws for the State of Texas and do not recommend that anyone violate the law. Having said that your Honor, the defense now rest..........:cowboy:

Deputy, before I say anything, let me issue the standard disclaimer: tampering with the cats is a federal offence, and some states are more aggressive than others about enforcing those regulations.

I read on here somewhere that some states require the inspector to verify that the cats are physically present, and in the correct quantity, so before you hack-up your exhaust system, you might want to check with a local muscle-car club, for instance, to see if you may have any issues down the road. Other states only verify that tailpipe emissions are below their established threshold and don't care how you got there.

RF Overlord
07-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Having said that your Honor, the defense now rest.......... LOL! Just tryin' to be helpful, ossifer... :D

Smokie
07-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Just recieved all my parts to begin the upgrade to my MM exhaust system. I did alot of research and decided to go with Flowmaster mufflers and the Magnaflow "X" pipe. But I'm still undecided about wether to remove the rear set of cats or just leave them alone since they are not monitored by OBD2. In anycase, I'll be having the old "H" pipe section and the original Ford mufflers removed tomorrow. Does anyone have thier MM configured with the rear set of cats removed?:flag:
Does this answer the question?http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13501

Good luck with your decision...:)

RedMerc04
02-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I know that this is an older post but I have some interest in doing something like this. I currently am Running the stock H pipe and 40 series Delta Flows, I Love the sound the car makes at around 1900- 2500 Rpm but after that it seems to taper off, atleast Inside the car, I love the deep sound in the lower rpms and Id like to keep that but I want the thing to really sound wicked up high.. Would the Magnaflow X do this for me? Will I see somewhat of a performance gain if i choose to go for the x pipe? Just wondering because I know that the X pipe is pretty expensive. If I dont do this I am probably just going to get a pair of Super 40's and save my money so i can get a Stallion converter... BTW can anybody who has the super 40's chime in and tell me what you think of em'.. any sound clips would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Matt

blackf0rk
02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Well, I can chime in and tell you I have delta 40's right now and agree with what you said about the rpm range verse sound quality/loudness with the deltas; therefor I will be upgrading to the Super's this summer.

Merc-O-matic
02-21-2006, 07:05 PM
I know that this is an older post but I have some interest in doing something like this. I currently am Running the stock H pipe and 40 series Delta Flows, I Love the sound the car makes at around 1900- 2500 Rpm but after that it seems to taper off, atleast Inside the car, I love the deep sound in the lower rpms and Id like to keep that but I want the thing to really sound wicked up high.. Would the Magnaflow X do this for me? Will I see somewhat of a performance gain if i choose to go for the x pipe? Just wondering because I know that the X pipe is pretty expensive. If I dont do this I am probably just going to get a pair of Super 40's and save my money so i can get a Stallion converter... BTW can anybody who has the super 40's chime in and tell me what you think of em'.. any sound clips would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Matt

I have Super 40's with the stock tips.......you can wake up
every dog in the neighborhood!
Sorry no sound clips.

Gotta Love it!:burnout:

RedMerc04
02-22-2006, 07:35 AM
I have Super 40's with the stock tips.......you can wake up
every dog in the neighborhood!
Sorry no sound clips.

Gotta Love it!:burnout:

That is exactly what I want! I wonder how they would sound with the delete tips?!? :cool4: