PDA

View Full Version : Will 94 Cobra wheels fit MM?

Mard
07-01-2005, 04:54 PM
I have access to a set of wheels I'm debating whether to pick-up cheap and put away as winter wheels, but I have no idea if they'll fit properly.

These are factory 17 X 8 Cobra wheels and what I could find on the web is they have a backspacing of 5.72" and an offset of 30mm.

I believe our factory 18 X 8 wheels have a backspacing of 6.5" and offset of 50mm.

My understanding of backspacing is the wheel will be .78" (6.50 - 5.72) further inboard, but I don't understand how the offset (distance from the mounting surface of wheel to the centerline of wheel) plays into picture.

Wheel experts?

RoyLPita
07-01-2005, 05:07 PM
yup, but they will stick out further than the MM rims.

Mard
07-01-2005, 10:49 PM
yup, but they will stick out further than the MM rims.
Do I have it backwards? I thought the smaller backspacing on the Cobra wheels would pull the wheels in.

RoyLPita
07-02-2005, 04:11 AM
When they redesigned the Panther platform for 2003, the rotors and hub are further out. That is why the CVPI has a "flat faced" steel wheel (in comparison to '98-'02 style wheel). Look for pics of a damaged MM that a member bought to fix (it has the 98-02 rims on it). The cobra wheels will not stick out as much but will be more than the MM rims. If they are local, see if they can be "tried out".

SergntMac
07-02-2005, 08:07 AM
My guess is these wheels will not fit on a Marauder, but some of that will be decided by tire size.

The way offset works is not hard to track, just hard to explain. The MM wheel is a 50mm offset, which means that the back side of the mounting pad (where the wheel mounts the hub) is 50mm away from the centerline of the wheel. This also means that as the mounting pad moves in towards the center of the wheel, the numbers drop. I've done some measuring and MM can tolerate up to 35mm offset, depending on wheel and tire size. If you use these wheels, you may scrape the inside of the wheel-well at the fender lip, again, depending on tire height. IMHO, it's borderline protruding.