PDA

View Full Version : "Dual Mode" Mufflers

Marauderjack
07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
I know that a few here have installed these and I wondered how much cutting and welding has to be done to install them?? :confused:

I kind of hoped they made an exact size replcement for the OEM's with the right hangers, etc.?? :confused: :confused:

Also, do you use the vibration dampers (weights) from the original setup?? :bows:

Finally how do they sound in reference to OEM's.....idling.....accelerat ing....droning in the cabin?? :argue:

Marauderjack :pimp:

oldekid
07-06-2005, 02:49 PM
I don't know if I can answer all of your questions, but I'll tell you what I do know. I had my OEM's replaced with the Dual Modes. I don't know how much cutting and welding had to be done, but I got the feeling from one of the guys that did it, that it wasn't exactly easy. It seems that they had a little trouble lining everything up with the exhaust tips.

As far as the weights, I really didn't even ask, nor did I think about that when I took my car in.

From what I understand, there is no EXACT fit for our cars.

Now, about the sound. They sounded better than the orginals, but they weren't as loud as I wanted them to be. So, I decided to replace my stock exhaust tips with the delete tips. Duh, I should have done it at the same time, but I didn't want them to be too loud. Anyhow, once I had the delete tips installed, it gave the sound a much deeper tone, and overall sounded more like I wanted it to sound. I also had the new tips extended out just a little bit.

At idle, there is a nice deep rumble. At WOT it sounds terrific. On the highway there is only a slight difference than the stocks. There is a slight drone (somewhat pleasing sound) only at certain RPMs. With the stock gears it was around 1500 - 2000 RPM. Now I have changed gears and it seems to be at a little different speed.

Inside the cabin it's never too loud. I had a lady follow me the other day from a company event, and she said she could hear my car with her windows up, the air on full blast, and her radio on, all the way back to our office. So, that leads me to believe that most of the sound is staying outside the car.

You will want to roll your window down most of the time, just so you can hear what everyone else hears. . . . . :beer:

As the muffler guy told me. . . "We can make anything fit." They did, and personally I love the sound. It's loud when I want it to be, and not just loud all the time.

I hope this helped. I'm pleased with my setup, and I know others like what they have. Hopefully others with the Dual Modes will chime in and give you their version.

shakes_26
07-06-2005, 09:15 PM
The sound is very nice, a low rumble, kind of like the old V-8's of the 60's, when you hammer it, wow, you do NOT want to be standing behind the car!

As I understand from a local member who had thes eput in, the major mounting difficulty is they are center inlet/outlet, where stock and msot mufflers are offset inlet and/or outlet. SO a custom inlet pipe has to be made to fit the muffler to the x-pipe or factory h-pipe.. Any muffler shop worth a damn can do this work.

04MEMA
07-11-2005, 08:52 PM
I'm wondering if these mufflers would give any significant HP/TQ gains, for my application in particular. Anybody know? Also what do they cost, and how much would a reputable shop charge to install????

Thanks guys,
Jeff

DEFYANT
07-11-2005, 10:59 PM
FYI,

I just had my Kooks headers cats and x-pipe installed. I was planning on using the FRP DM mufflers, but the install shop was having difficulty getting them to line up properly.

Due to the cost of the extra fabricating, I just had them install the Magflows for now. The price would have been the same. Plus, the work was being done in NY and I needed to get back to MD during the same day, so I could not have the car down for two or more days.

I also had the delete tips installed.

This car sounds frikin badass!!! People just turn and stare as I go by!

But there is a mild to moderate drone. I just drove 4 hrs and my ears are NOT ringing. The Flowmasters in the ole Cobra would leave me partially def for a little while! I can tolerate it but I think DefyantWife and kids will object. So, I will eventually get the DM Mufflers installed.

Marauder386
07-12-2005, 03:43 AM
I just installed the FRP dual mode ( bypass ) mufflers on RoadPig 1 ... The sound is a bit deeper @ idle and normal driving, and isnt loud and obnoxious at WOT ( to me at least ). Cabin drone is not obscene either... Will be in test/tune/observe mode for a few days and will report back ... So far, I really do like them ! :burnout: :burnout:

:coolman:

SergntMac
07-12-2005, 04:57 AM
I'm wondering if these mufflers would give any significant HP/TQ gains, for my application in particular. Anybody know? Also what do they cost, and how much would a reputable shop charge to install?
I would not expect any significant gains from a muffler swap alone. Single digits at best. The primary reasons that there never seems to be a good answer for this, is that the cost of testing (dynos are usually 125 bucks for three pulls) outweighs the gains revealed. To do this testing right, you would need three pulls before, and three after the change. That's 250 bucks, just to tell everyone there isn't an real gain. Ummm...You first.

Never in my life have I seen any custom build, or, off the shelf aftermarket muffler alone produce more that 10 RWHP, or, RWTQ gains. However, our "seat-of-the-pants" dyno operates on a different frequency, and it's rare that owners do not express a feeling of more power, and improved throttle response. Tone is important as well, generally speaking, the "bang for the buck" is satisfactory.

The dual mode mufflers I am aware of, are from Ford Racing. The kit number is M-5230-BP2, page 93 of the '04 catalogue. They list for 375.00 per set (one left, one right muffler). These mufflers are offset to the inside of the car, and have a 2.5"OD, so, some custom work will be necessary to make them fit. Word of warning, use the OEM damper to minimize vibration and cabin drone.

You need to check local shops for labor costs, labor rates are different across the country. The last time I changed mufflers alone in the Chicagoland area, it was 75 bucks a side, no custom work. BTW, if the shop you visit doesn't own a pipe bender, probably best to move on to one that does. Owning the machinery predicts the level of skill possible at that shop.

Rkammer
07-12-2005, 05:34 AM
I would not expect any significant gains from a muffler swap alone. Single digits at best. The primary reasons that there never seems to be a good answer for this, is that the cost of testing (dynos are usually 125 bucks for three pulls) outweighs the gains revealed. To do this testing right, you would need three pulls before, and three after the change. That's 250 bucks, just to tell everyone there isn't an real gain. Ummm...You first.
A few years ago I was witness to a comprehensive dyno test of about 7 or 8 different mufflers on a Buick 231 V6 Turbo engine. They tested turbo muffs, glass packs, straight thru muffs and baffled types as well. If memory serves, the increase in HP from low to high was in the 5 to 12 HP range from the stock factory cross flow muffler. At the time the cost of a pair of muffs was only about $150 for the pair so that was a cost effective addition but at $400-500 for a pair installed it's not so desirable IMO. :)

04MEMA
07-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Alright, good feed back - thanks for taking the time. Perhaps electronic cutouts would be a better choice for ME. It would give me the obnoxious loud sound when I want it and stock quiet when I don't. Also, I would imagine that the power gains would be higher for the cutouts than the mufflers, perhaps still modest gains but more. Any thoughts on if I'd need a different tune for the "open" exhaust setting, or would it make no difference?

04MEMA
07-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Oh yeah, do we know who manufactures the dual mode mufflers?

MENINBLK
07-12-2005, 06:37 AM

FRPP - Ford Racing Performance Parts

Call Ray "TheDealer" and order them...

Rkammer
07-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Alright, good feed back - thanks for taking the time. Perhaps electronic cutouts would be a better choice for ME. It would give me the obnoxious loud sound when I want it and stock quiet when I don't. Also, I would imagine that the power gains would be higher for the cutouts than the mufflers, perhaps still modest gains but more. Any thoughts on if I'd need a different tune for the "open" exhaust setting, or would it make no difference?
In my opinion you wouldn't need any further tuning since the computer will attempt to add fuel to compensate for the better air flow. But, let some of the more experienced tuners add their comments. :)

DEFYANT
07-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Check ur PMs;)

04MEMA
07-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the replies and the PM. I know Ford Motorsports sells them, but I'd like to know which company manufactures them for Ford. While searching around I found an interesting fact about the new C6. Click below and scroll down under the "engine" section.

http://www.cfive-corvette.com/z06.htm

They're vacuum activated though...

Jeff

MarauderMark
07-12-2005, 08:07 AM
FYI,

I just had my Kooks headers cats and x-pipe installed. I was planning on using the FRP DM mufflers, but the install shop was having difficulty getting them to line up properly.

Due to the cost of the extra fabricating, I just had them install the Magflows for now. The price would have been the same. Plus, the work was being done in NY and I needed to get back to MD during the same day, so I could not have the car down for two or more days.

I also had the delete tips installed.

This car sounds frikin badass!!! People just turn and stare as I go by!

But there is a mild to moderate drone. I just drove 4 hrs and my ears are NOT ringing. The Flowmasters in the ole Cobra would leave me partially def for a little while! I can tolerate it but I think DefyantWife and kids will object. So, I will eventually get the DM Mufflers installed.

Ahh oh def one :D when the mags wear in you'll be back to deffining drone.But brand new they sound awsome:up:.

rocknrod
07-12-2005, 09:14 AM
.... Perhaps electronic cutouts would be a better choice for ME. It would give me the obnoxious loud sound when I want it and stock quiet when I don't. .... electric cutouts.
http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm
More:
http://www.badlanzhpe.com/
More:
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.html
I thought Doug Thorley HEaders made em too, but when I went to their website I didn't see them.

04MEMA
07-13-2005, 07:10 PM
I appreciate the links, thank you. Not sure which is the best, but need to do more research.

Jeff