PDA

View Full Version : Super 40's and Magnaflow "X" pipe Problem

DeputyCSChavez
07-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Finally got my Flowmaster Super 40's and Magnaflow "X" Pipe installed over the holiday weekend. The exhaust sounds great at idle and the sound level in the interior is now noticable but not overpowering or intrusive during cruise. And under very hard excelleration it sounds deep and throaty. The only problem I've experienced so far is a slight resonance that is emitting from the tailpipe area at 1250 RPM and also at 1900 RPM. It sort of sounds like the exhaust is baffling inside the MEGS. The Super 40's are slightly shorter in length than the OEM mufflers so this requiered that the tailpipes be extended for the MEGS to clear the bottom of the rear valance. I wonder if removing the MEGS altogether would make any change and effect the resonance?:help:

rayjay
07-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Did the installer reattach the weights from the old mufflers to new mufflers?

1stMerc
07-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Did the installer reattach the weights from the old mufflers to new mufflers?
What weights?

torinodan
07-06-2005, 09:05 PM
What weights?
The 2 large big chunks of rubber or whatever. One for each muffler.

03SILVERSTREAK
07-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Just curious. what do those weights have to do with the sound of your mufflers???

Marauderjack
07-07-2005, 03:21 AM
"Vibration Dampers" that cut down on harmonics and resonance.....Nobody wants to listen to me about this??!! :mad:

I had a 1998 CV and put duals on it without the dampers.....Bad move!!! :mad2: :mad2: It rattled very badly at idle and resonated in the cabin! Ford wanted about $50 each for them but I found some from a wrecked Police car and VOILA.....Noises gone!! :beer:

Lesson learned......I would never leave them off!! :bows:

Marauderjack :bandit:

DeputyCSChavez
07-07-2005, 05:05 AM
Thanks to all for the info.....during the installation of the new exhaust system, no one thought about transfering over the "vibration dampners" from the OEM exhaust. They work as a counter balance of sorts to change the frequency of the harmonics that are produced by the exhaust pulses. The dual exhaust system acts like a "tuning fork" and sends out vibration through the entire frame and into the cabin interior. Dynamat will also help to absorb and dampen these unpleasant vibrations. Anyway thats my :twocents: worth on this whole subject

1stMerc
07-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Oh, i believe you are talking about the two hunks of rubber that the welded hangers on the stock mufflers attach to. I did not have the muffler shop put any on my DeltaFlows for fear of the welding weaking the integrity of the mufflers. It's been about four weeks now and thus far no rattling or harmonics. In fact just about to quiet.

TAF
07-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Finally got my Flowmaster Super 40's and Magnaflow "X" Pipe installed over the holiday weekend. The exhaust sounds great at idle and the sound level in the interior is now noticable but not overpowering or intrusive during cruise. And under very hard excelleration it sounds deep and throaty. The only problem I've experienced so far is a slight resonance that is emitting from the tailpipe area at 1250 RPM and also at 1900 RPM. It sort of sounds like the exhaust is baffling inside the MEGS. The Super 40's are slightly shorter in length than the OEM mufflers so this requiered that the tailpipes be extended for the MEGS to clear the bottom of the rear valance. I wonder if removing the MEGS altogether would make any change and effect the resonance?:help:
2 things....

You chose a rather aggressive exhaust by going with the Flowmaster Super 40's. They are well-known to provide heavy cabin resonance. That's why they are used heavily on Mustang applications (5.0 motors specifically) and some older muscle cars who could care less about cabin drone. As mentioned above...Dynamat will help. Another thing is to be sure the Meg tips are extended at least one full inch out the back. But, to be honest...you got what you paid for. Due to the nature of our cars...I highly prefer and recommend the Magnaflow Mufflers over any other combination.

And as to "reattaching" the OEM balancer as suggested above?

Uh.... don't believe everything you read on the internet...