PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow cat back installed

Logan
08-28-2002, 10:28 AM
I ordered all the pieces necessary to build a magnaflow catback for my marauder late last week and had it installed today.

What's interesting is that from the cats to the muffler, it's 2" pipe, and from the back of the muffler to the tips is 2.25" pipe. I thought it was supposed to be 2.25" all the way through to the tips.

Well, it is now. :)

I chopped the stock exhaust off immediately behind the cats and immediately after the mufflers. We then custom bent pipe to install the Magnaflow 2.25" X-Pipe and two stainless steel 18" Magnaflow mufflers.

I forgot to bring my digital camera with me but will jack the car up and take some pics soon.

Seat-o-the pants o' meter says it opened up the exhaust flow considerably. It'll be interesting to see what the next dyno run looks like...

Wags
08-28-2002, 12:53 PM
Logan,

You're going to need more room for your posts pretty soon with all the mods that you are doing! How do you like the sound of the new exhaust? I'm going to try to get to bozobill's this Friday to listen to his Flowmasters. You will have to post new times for the 1/4 with all the new mods. BTW, nice job on the tranny gauge. It looks real nice.

Wags

Logan
08-28-2002, 01:03 PM
I like the new sound, doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner anymore... I've run magnaflows before, on my lightning's, so I kinda knew what it would sound like ahead of time...

bozobill
08-28-2002, 01:11 PM
Logan,

Us hard-of-hearing graybeards need the sound to take us back to the late 50's and early 60's. How's the SOUND with the Magnaflows??

Word of caution to anyone considering muffler-only replacement: Since noone yet offers a dimensionally correct replacement muffler for the MM, anyone who wants to replace them needs to find a CUSTOM muffler shop who can heat-bend pipe and add stainless pipe lengths to make up for muffler length and inlet/outlet location variations. After bolting and welding the muffler to the CAT-back exhaust pipes, the technician removed the hangars from the MM mufflers and reattached them to the Flowmasters so that they could be resecured to the undercarriage muffler supports in the same factory position.

I made certain that the technician understood the importance of securing the Meg tailpipes in their original factory position and rework both exhaust pipes so that they stayed in the EXACT factory position. Make SURE that both pipes clear the axle properly and do not come in contact with the rubber bladders on the air ride system. Also remember the switch in the trunk before the car is elevated off it's wheels and to switch it back when you're back on the ground.

Logan
08-28-2002, 01:48 PM
The sound with the magnaflows is louder than stock with a nice rumble when you get on it. At idle and at cruise it's pretty quiet.

The magnaflows I put on my car ARE a direct replacement for the stockers with very little effort. Just cut off the stocker and weld in the magnaflows, no pipe bending and a little trimming. Magnaflow part number 14255. 18" long body with 2" pipes for overall length of 24". Stock unit has a 20" body with 2" on the front and 1" on the back.

The 14" inch long units would've been louder, but I want a rumble, not heavy machinery. :)

Me, I installed a X-pipe, so I did replace everything from the cat, back.

JerseyVics
08-28-2002, 02:08 PM
Good Job Logan!

--Russ:)

JerseyVics
08-31-2002, 09:36 AM
by the way, could you post some pictures?

I have plans to do an X-pipe along with the rest of the exhaust the spring of 2003 on whatever car I own by that time...

--Russ:)