PDA

View Full Version : Small gathering in San Diego this weekend?

kartherma
07-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Looking to set up a small gathering in San Diego friday or saturday 15/16th? Possibly at one of my favorite watering holes or at another location if need be (dave and busters is fun as is hooters!)

Take a look at your schedules and maybe we can get a cali-cruise going. I know TorinoDan is always interested in meeting up with others. I am sure we can even head up north a bit if the LA boys want to split the difference.

Any takers?

Shaft333
07-11-2005, 05:40 AM
I really really really really wish I could go to your meet.

I need to go back to San Diego. Such an awesome city.

torinodan
07-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Come on now California guys read this and lets get together. I'm going to try because I'm game for anything. Thanks for posting Curt.

Directedby
07-11-2005, 05:36 PM
I need to make San Diego plans for next month to get tunes at So.Cal Tuning.

Can't make it this weekend.

Good luck.

torinodan
07-11-2005, 05:42 PM
About mid August I leave for Atlanta to go back home, got to get together as much as possible before then. Give a call when you go to So Cal tuning.

RocketCouch
07-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm actually going to be down there this weekend, but I'll be with the girlfriend for a nice relaxing weekend together. Don't know if I'll be able to stop by.

We definitely need to get together more often though!

NAVCHAP
07-13-2005, 09:20 PM
How about Cruising Grand? Friday night cruise in Escondido on Grand Avenue. Nice restaurants and lots of parking if you get there early enough. Be sure to bring a camera to get some shots of some amazing vehicles. Any takers? -kjs-

torinodan
07-14-2005, 07:42 PM
How about something around the 29th and/or 30th? We could catch Svashtar on his way to La Jolla? Grand has a cruise that weekend as well right? Lets do lunch? There's a car shows and cruise night on those 2 days. This weekend we also have work to do on base so I might not be able to come out till late.

NAVCHAP
07-14-2005, 08:28 PM
One vote for Cruising Grand, Friday 29 July 05. Definitely will go.

May have to take the long way around to avoid the traffic on the 15 north. No problem.

Not sure how late we will be working that day. Lunch may not be an option for me. Dinner should work however.

Even if it's just the usual supects who get together in San Diego, i.e., the military members. It would be nice to have blue, silver birch, and black MMs parked near each other at the biggest cruise event in the area.

Kart and I could actually convoy up there if we can match our skeds. Worth a try! -kjs-

torinodan
07-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Link for Grand:
http://sandiego.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=sandiego&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.downtownes condido.com%2Fevents%2Fcruisin _grand

NAVCHAP
07-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Gents, the NAVCHAP DR S/C #1 MM will be at Grand Avenue tomorrow evening, 15 July 2005. Not sure where it will be parked, but shouldn't be too hard to find.

If you show up, be sure to say hello. PM me or check the Bunny List if you want my cell phone #.

Going to try to figure out how to get group parking for us for the end of the month.

BTW, not a big fan of the stuff, but Comic Book Convention "COM-CON" is going on this weekend at the Convention Center in San Diego. It's supposed to be the biggest event worldwide.

There are usually stars and celebs from Comic Book based movies and TV shows in appearance. It's quite a sight to see the fans walking down Harbor Drive.

Regards, -kjs-

torinodan
07-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Gents, the NAVCHAP DR S/C #1 MM will be at Grand Avenue tomorrow evening, 15 July 2005. Not sure where it will be parked, but shouldn't be too hard to find.
BTW, not a big fan of the stuff, but Comic Book Convention "COM-CON" is going on this weekend at the Convention Center in San Diego. It's supposed to be the biggest event worldwide.

There are usually stars and celebs from Comic Book based movies and TV shows in appearance. It's quite a sight to see the fans walking down Harbor Drive.

Regards, -kjs-Yup, now 80,000 parking spots and over 200,000 people showing up this weekend for everything going on, Don't try to park down town.

NAVCHAP
07-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Karthema, Torino Dan and I were at "Crusin' Grand" this evening. Lots of stares and compliments as we did a few laps on the designated driving route with Blue, Black and Silver MMs. At one point we even had a DTR Grand Marquis in front of us who was passing through town, kind of ironic.

Escondido provides a nice atmosphere and a lot of support for this event which goes Friday nights from around April to October. Lots of nice cars, lots of LEOs, live bands, DJs, plenty of parking.

We will be back there on 29 July. Encourage anyone who likes cruise nights to attend. Just southeast of Oceanside CA off the 78 in Downtown Escondido. Easy access from either I-5 or I-15.

We have a section of the cruise route where we have several parking spaces. Also, close to the viewing location of the vintage cars on display.

Hope to see you there, -kjs-

kartherma
07-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Had an AWESOME time!!

NAVCHAP and TorinoDan were there well before me, I had gone to Yuma to see the kids and got back just in time for a few laps around the cruise route.
It was great to see the heads turn when folks realized what they were looking at...even had one gal bouncing around "woo-hoo!! Marauders! Marauders! Light 'em up!!!"

My favorite rides there were (of course) NAVCHAP's marauder- and does it ever sound menacing!! Otherwise I really enjoyed an old mercury...it was shaved to perfection and looked straight- needed something other than a flat-black primer type looking paint though. There were also a few great looking '32's that looked great. In attendance was also a jet black dodge charger, but that car was on a 180 out from us so we never really got a chance to get along side.

Unfortunately I will be making power on the 29th for the cruise...but my heart will be with all of those who make it up for the gathering.

Folks, if you are in the area at the end of this month I strongly encourage you to get to Escondido for the Grant Cruise. They really do a good job with it and there are alot great places to eat and (if you are into it) get a drink or two. NAVCHAP has a great area staked out for us too and man would it ever be nice to be there with all of the other Marauder owners.

Thanks for the great time guys!

be good, curt

NAVCHAP
07-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Karthema, Torinodan, and I will be there. It's easily accessible from either the 15 South or the 5 South. Take 78 into Escondido and you end up at one end or the other of Grand Avenue.

It officially starts at 5pm but recommend you get there closer to 4pm since the traffic into Escondido from south or west is tremendous. Karthema says that it wasn't too bad from the east. Torinodan says it wasn't too bad from the near north.

If you don't want to bring your MM it's no big deal. There are all kinds of unique and interesting vehicles at this event. You will blend in, even if you're driving a Fiat 500, an Amphicar, or a Trabant.

Tried to reach 69Mach1 but didn't hear back. He lives pretty close to Escondido. We have gone to some events and had a blast. His might have been the Silver Birch MM that someone spotted near San Diego a couple of weeks ago.

We are going to park at Broadway and 3rd Avenue. There are about 10-12 spots there. We are only about a block from the action, and it's easy getting on the cruise route from there.

Do a search on your favorite map site for directions to Broadway and 3rd Avenue Escondido CA.

I will be there as close to 4pm as possible on 29 July, my cell # is on Bunny's List.

Please e-mail me if you want my point of contact information. I will not be able to pick up my PMs from around 5am Monday until at least 6pm Thursday this week.

Regards, -kjs-

torinodan
07-17-2005, 09:01 PM
A few pics of the classic cars in my gallery.

kartherma
07-23-2005, 11:14 PM
:alone: Looks like I wont be able to make it:alone: Unfortunately, I will be out steaming the ship around and will not be in port for the fun. My heart will be with you guys, I hope you can score a few pictures for me!

Headed to Yuma to pick up the black one. It is done, has the 4.10's and rear spoiler and will be tinted before I get there. I am soooo excited since I already have the Lidio tune here on the ship with me and will be getting it installed when I get past the first 4-500 or so on the gears.

be good!
curt

NAVCHAP
07-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Kart: Thanks for the update! Ops bubbas told me you would not be available. It will be Dan and me holding down the MM fort at Broadway and 3rd Avenue.

Hopefully some of the gang will make it. Haven't heard anything from our neighbor 69Mach1, and nothing from the OC and LA folks.

Will get shots of the classics for you. Thanks for your ongoing contributions to our nation, and regards to your navchaps riding the "gipper." -kjs-

torinodan
07-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Well, I guess it was my turn to get a screw in my tire!!:mad: If that wasn't bad enough I pulled into a auto zone parking lot to fill my wiper fluid, popped the hood and I thought I left the car running. Well, it died... and didn't want to start. Messed with the switch on my chip and was able to start again.:confused: The tire is still holding air and I think I'll just let it grind it self down for now. Looks like it's been there for a while. I should have this weekend off, I hope. The victim of the ever changing schedule.:shake: I'll get back with you all later.

JACook
07-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Karthema, Torinodan, and I will be there. It's easily accessible from either the 15 South or the 5 South. Take 78 into Escondido and you end up at one end or the other of Grand Avenue. Keith, I'm hoping to make it down there tomorrow. Be good to finally get to meet up with a few of you...

torinodan
07-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Keith, I'm hoping to make it down there tomorrow. Be good to finally get to meet up with a few of you...You have a PM.

NAVCHAP
07-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Gents, we got pulled into a huge change of command that the ship is hosting today, and I may not be able to get up there. Dan has my cell # and I have his.

I will head up there if I can. Very likely, by the time I leave my house, the 40 mile trip will take me 2.5 hours.

So I may not make it until 1900/7PM, under certain scenarios which may play out today, driven by higher headquarters. -kjs-

NAVCHAP
07-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Again, Torino Dan, one of his fellow deployed comrades, and I had a good time at Grand Avenue in Escondido this evening, Friday 29 July 05.

Even more cars than two weeks ago, and the featured manufacturer tonight was Packard. Some amazing vehicles in the Packard parking section.

Karthema could not make it, so we only had two MMs. JA Cook was hoping to join us, but was unable to get down to Escondido.

Dan and I were wondering aloud about him when he called Dan's cell. Thanks!

Had a nice visit with Svashtar and his wife and daughter in La Jolla on the way to "Cruising Grand." His MM has really nice dress up details under the hood and really nice presentation and paint.

Hope that he and the family returned home safely. Thanks for taking time to visit with us today. Unfortunately, Friday afternoon traffic undermined our convoy north on the I-5. We eventually had to wave off Svashtar so he could go over to the car pool lane and make the most of his long drive.

Maybe Park Ranger will make it down there sometime and convoy with NBCShooter, Directedby, and some of the other LA and OC folks.

I am not planning to go next week, Friday 04 August 2005, due to my work schedule, but may be able to participate if all goes well during the week.

The following week, Friday 11 August 2005, I'll be well on my way to Salt Lake City to pick up 4th Horseman as we continue on to meet various folks in Des Moines, Chicago and ultimately Detroit.

Looking at going back to Grand in September. Let me know if you're interested. -kjs-

torinodan
07-29-2005, 11:09 PM
We had a great time today and I enjoyed hanging out with Norm and his family and speaking to J Cook. Good times, good times. As far as the next few weeks I'm game for anything unless it goes into mid Aug and by then I'll be heading back to Hotlanta. Hopefully myself and Kartherma can get together again down at "THAT" bar before I get out of here.

BTW Norm, rotate your JLT elbow clockwise as you look at it from the drivers side and trim as necessary to angle down. To use the mount you need to rotate your Maf, oh, and repaint that thing before you put it on please. Now, get a spacer or wait till I get back and I'll send you one like mine...um, either one. Later guys.

I'll post some pics in the AM before I head up to Irvine. Jeff, I'll be calling you at some point, I'm more of a Blues kinda guy but Jazz sounds fun.

NAVCHAP
07-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Won't be able to get to OC tonight, Saturday 30 July. After work tomorrow morning, joining a show in progress at Embarcadero North in Seaport Village, San Diego. One block south of where Harbor Drive meets Pacific Highway.

Just got off the phone with the point of contact, here's some info.

Main Street America, Sunday 31 July, from 8AM to 3PM, sponsored by the Corvette Owners Club of San Diego, to benefit the San Diego Council for the Blind.

Entry fee is 20.00 and goes to SDCB. All makes/models/years can participate.

COCSD is a nice club and good people. They hold Corvette only, Chevy only and all makes, etc. shows throughout the year.

After I get done with my wash it looks like I'll be cleaning and detailing the MM for display tomorrow.

Hope to see you there. -kjs-

Svashtar
07-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks Guys! Made it through LA in a couple of hours, not too bad for a Friday afternoon, and got home late last night. I really enjoyed meeting you guys, and can't thank Dan enough for all his engineering expertise and help. The hold down bracket he made for the MAF adapter is way better than mine, and I appreciate him giving it to me.

I also got to drive Dan's car, which feels like it has other than the OEM gears because of the TB and intake spacers he made himself, as well as the polished TB and custom CAI he made. I couldn't believe it still had 3:55's in it and not 4:10's. He also has his chip out temporarily, so is running the stock tune, but it still drove great and shifting was good as he has done the J mod on the tranny.

Then Keith let me drive his Reinhart Vortec blue '03, which was amazing. I wish we were on a strip or even a long ramp where I could really punch it, but just driving it a couple of miles through La Jolla was a blast. Man I wish I could SC my car! The acceleration is phenomenal. Keith also had all the documentation for his car, including print copies of all the old MM ads that appeared in '02.

It was great meeting you, and I hope sometime you can meet me in Central CA here in Salinas / Monterey for a visit, and lunch is on me. I have a pretty decent shop, and you are welcome to use any tools or work on the cars here. We could also take a look underneath and see some of the other mods in more detail.

Thanks again.

Norm

NAVCHAP
07-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Need to do a road trip sometime between the underways over the next few months. It was great meeting Norm and family. I too wish we could have found a spot to drop the hammer on the DR S/C#1.

Funny how a local LEO was watching us as we went over the details of my car. He sat there looking in his rear view mirror. Next parking lot over. Was there for quite a while.

Thanks for taking the time to visit, regret that it cost you on the trip home, that's why I kept saying that every 5 minutes was going to cost you at least 15. Took us almost two hours to get to Cruising Grand.

After the show, around 8pm or so, it only took me about 35 minutes going home. 65-70 mph the whole way, heavy traffic, but no tie ups. -kjs-

torinodan
07-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Meet Jeff and his family tonight and the Jazz concert was great. We had to leave early for my brothers kids, you know how they get after a cross country trip and they get tired. Only problem I had was LA doing what it does best.....closeing on ramps to I-5 at night.:mad: Oh well, made it back to my sisters and I'm going to stay the night and head off again for Carlsbad. I did see a Silver Marauder on Euclid that was a few cars behind me. I think I've seen him before but not sure. Later everyone. Night

torinodan
08-10-2005, 02:04 AM
OK, I know Keith will be gone and I don't have a clue about Curt...anyone want to meet up this weekend?

kartherma
08-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Dont hold you breath just yet, but I might be able to make it in for a friday meet... I am hoping so.

By the way, I picked up the black beauty and got a chance to have some fun with her in Yuma this last weekend. It is SWEET. Isaac at the Ford there took care of me and the service rep took the silver one in and did an alignment on her under waranty for the price of a signature on the work order.

With the 4.10's, shiney hiney, Lidio tune, and some of the darkest tinted windows I have ever seen....she was a really fun car to drive with for the weekend.

I also have had some interest in the Silver one from the ad I have for it on the site here. (not to mention Isaac is ever trying to sell somebody's car and has promised me my bottom line within a few weeks). If that happens, a trilogy/F.I.T/Reinhart setup will be going on the black one before halloween. (and all the bells and whistles too, goal is super low 12's if not sub 12's). I dont know. we will see.

Let me know what you are thinking about for the weekend. If all goes my way, I will have friday afternoon and evening along with saturday off. I want to make a trip up north a bit. Maybe to the cruising grand friday night? Maybe something else on saturday?

lemmie know!
As always, BE GOOD!
curt

OK, I know Keith will be gone and I don't have a clue about Curt...anyone want to meet up this weekend?

torinodan
08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm still working nights so Friday might be lost BUT we were told we should have this weekend off. Might be too far for Norm but as long as the rest of us don't have plans all should go well. OH. one more BTW, On Base they will be having another car show this year thats open to all cars and you don't have to be in the military. If I'm still out here my car is getting entered. I think it's on the 20th or 27th of this month. I'll find out for sure. Later everyone. TD

sprtyworty
08-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Curt,
I will see you on Grand. Wife will not be home in time with our MM. I will be in a 66 GT 350 Red/White Shelby. Looking forward to seeing the Silver MM. Call me on the cell I provided.

torinodan
08-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Curt,
I will see you on Grand. Wife will not be home in time with our MM. I will be in a 66 GT 350 Red/White Shelby. Looking forward to seeing the Silver MM. Call me on the cell I provided.Curt, are you taking the silver or black now? I was hoping black for some reason or another.:rolleyes:

NAVCHAP
08-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Gents: On my way to MV3, hope you have fun at Grand Avenue in Escondido. Please post some photos from the show on 12 August! Thanks, -kjs-

torinodan
08-12-2005, 02:01 PM
OK, so who's coming north and who's going south for Grand? I'll be out at the normal place holding us some spots.

torinodan
08-12-2005, 04:40 PM
OK, so who's coming north and who's going south for Grand? I'll be out at the normal place holding us some spots.Come on, there's many cars to see, 3 DJs :sing: , and a 7-11 on the corner. You just can't go wrong.