PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of assistance

MAD-3R
03-10-2003, 10:11 AM
I washed the car this past weekend, and scouted out under my hood for items I need to work on. and for the life of me, I can't find the plugs?

1. Are the spark plugs under the plaques on the valuve covers?
2. How easy/hard/messy is it to change the Stat out myself?

Black Badger
03-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
I washed the car this past weekend, and scouted out under my hood for items I need to work on. and for the life of me, I can't find the plugs?

1. Are the spark plugs under the plaques on the valuve covers?
2. How easy/hard/messy is it to change the Stat out myself?

Yes, the sparkplugs are under the covers. Remove the 2 bolts and pull off the cover.

It's pretty easy just put a drain pan under the car to catch the coolant.Remove the 2 bolts on the housing pop out old t-stat pop in new.
Refill coolant

MAD-3R
03-10-2003, 10:27 AM
I may just give it a try...

RF Overlord
03-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Go for it, MAD...I'm doing the 'stat once the weather warms up a little (may be July, at this rate), but it doesn't look wicked complex.

The plugs are easy to do, just remove the intake tube for easier access on the driver's side. Don't get all scarified when you take off the covers and see the coils...just unclip the small connector and pull the coil straight off. When you replace the coil, it doesn't really snap on firmly like a regular spark-plug wire, it just kind of sits there.

MAD-3R
03-10-2003, 10:52 AM
How much coolent should I expect? Enough to fill a dishpan? I don't have a garage, so I need ot do this in my driveway. And can it be done from the top, or is it best to crawl under the car?

martyo
03-10-2003, 11:34 AM
'Stat must be done from underneath. Ramps might help.

When you do the plugs, be sure that no pesky dirt escapes down the plug hole as the pistons will not be too happy. A good approach here is to blow out each plug hole with a compressor before removing each plug.

MAD-3R
03-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Ramps, on a slopped driveway... WHEEEEEEEEEE

Would "canned air" used on my computer work instead? I don't have a compressor.

RF Overlord
03-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Since our motors are fairly new, there should be very little dirt in the plug wells, so yes, canned air will probably do it.