PDA

View Full Version : Ever Use Liquid Glass?

Rider90
07-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Browsing through some old photos I had, I remembered the first time I used Liquid Glass on a black vehicle...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/42.jpg

Has anyone else tried the stuff? Feedback? Maybe I should give it a shot on the 'Rauder.

prchrman
07-13-2005, 03:57 AM
Tried it a couple weeks ago side by side with mother's liquid gold and the mother's had a higher shine and also the paint looked blacker with mother's...will use liquid glass on the farm truck...best shine so far has been with mother's and then maguire's spray detailer right after...detailer seems to hide some of my poor paint issues better than just the wax...willie

PJR
07-13-2005, 08:20 AM
I used it until recently. Switched to Zaino, I think the Zaino looks better and lasts longer.

twolow
07-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Are you bald at 19?

ROB502
07-13-2005, 09:44 AM
I started using Liquid Glass when I worked at the Pontiac dealer because that is what they used. I looks good, doesn't build-up and is easy to put on and get off. :)

ADE 1000
07-13-2005, 04:37 PM
I used liquid glass about 10 years ago on my first car, a black 5.0 Mustang. It worked fairly well at the time but it does not hold a candle to Zaino.

MarauderMarc
07-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Are you bald at 19?WTF??????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rider90
07-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Are you bald at 19?

Shaved.."Buzz Cut?" I keep it simple.

Liquid Glass says not to put paste wax on top of the polish, but wouldn't this make it last longer? hmmm

wchain
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Metro has lots of experiences with it, and IIRC, somewhere he wrote about how it 'scratches' the paint in orderto get the shine it produces. I've used it a coupla times, but I like my NXT just fine.

I use Nu Finish liquid on my moms Mercedes and it lasts for years, but doesnt shine as well as others. The NXT is great, but doesnt seem to bead for very long before it sheets.

Rider90
07-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Metro has lots of experiences with it, and IIRC, somewhere he wrote about how it 'scratches' the paint in orderto get the shine it produces. I've used it a coupla times, but I like my NXT just fine.

I use Nu Finish liquid on my moms Mercedes and it lasts for years, but doesnt shine as well as others. The NXT is great, but doesnt seem to bead for very long before it sheets.

I just put the NXT paste wax on. We shall see.

TooManyFords
07-15-2005, 06:22 AM
I've used Liquid Glass for years now. Works for me!

John

metroplex
07-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Liquid glass is made somewhere in NJ and I checked with them on what ingredients they use. Turns out one of the components is the stuff you use in toothpaste to polish your teeth. It's been awhile but it's silica gel or something to that extent. Essentially it polishes your clearcoat to get that shine. The only way to get anything to shine is to polish it with some type of abrasive (walnut shells, clay, etc...) Some products contain more abrasives then others (rubbing compound, rifle crown lapping compound, etc...)

NXT from what I have heard gives a good shine but doesn't last as long as NuFinish. AFAIK, NuFinish is the only product that actually keeps water beading on the surface for almost a year.

Now, everyone's goal is different in terms of detailing their vehicles.
For a show car or something you want to show off: it obviously does not get dirty from daily driving and probably doesn't ever see road salt. Use whatever product that gives you the deepest shine possible.

For a daily driver, I see zero point in getting something to look great if it doesn't keep protecting the paint. It's like wearing an Armani while crawling into a Stryker to do battle in Iraq. you look like James Bond going into the Stryker but after a day or two, you look like sh-it.

I just washed my Vic and I don't even recognize it anymore. It usually gets dirty, muddy, and dusty after 2 days and I just leave it like that until I feel like washing it again. If I spent every other day trying to keep it clean, guess what? You start wearing out the clearcoat and paint.

You remove a few microns of the clearcoat each time you polish/wax the surface so do not use too much pressure.

That is why I only polish my Vic with NuFinish 2-3 times max a year. I add extra "layers" to the top surfaces because they oxidize the fastest thanks to Mr. UV radiation. After 25 years the T-bird's top surfaces and side surfaces have been worn out... but the parts that DO NOT get oxidized as fast are the parts near the bottom of the car (lower parts of doors, lower parts of bumpers, etc...) I use the old cars we have as learning experiences. The top and side surfaces get blasted by all the nasty stuff that will ruin paint the fastest: UV radiation and acid rain but UV radiation is the biggest killer.

Did I ramble too much?

:eek:

With NuFinish, it's not water soluble so I wet the applicator and wet the surface of the car. I spread the NuFinish like its sunblock (greasy, doesn't stick to wet rag or wet car) and let it dry. Then I gently buff it out using a microfiber towel. If you slather a bunch of it on the car surface, it will be hard to remove and you waste a lot of NuFinish. A co-worker uses a capful for 1 Toyota Camry... I don't know how he does that, but I use a bit more for my Crown Vic. I hope that is of some help to you all.