PDA

View Full Version : An Answer from BF Goodrich

Bluerauder
07-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Thought that I would put this in its own thread for reference. Below is the e-mail answer to my post/question to BFG on their site ..... Emphasis in bold is my addition. :D My question related to the OEM KDWS tires.

We apologize we do not have the tires available for your Mercury Marauder at
this time. We are the only manufacturer that makes the tire size for your
vehicle. We are going to reintroduce both sizes of tires. The 245/55ZR18
is currently on back order. BFGoodrich has plans to put tires back into
production the end of July with stock available in August.

Again we apologize that we do not have the tires available for your vehicle.

Thank you for your interest in our BFGoodrich brand tires.

If you have additional questions, please respond to this email
or you may call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll-free) between
8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday to allow
one of our Consumer Relations Representatives to assist you.

Michelin North America
Consumer Relations Department

wchain
07-14-2005, 01:20 PM
So does that mean we'll have more 245/55R18s in KDWS or KDW2?

Marauderjack
07-15-2005, 03:31 AM
Soooo......

Park your car with the bald BFG's until late August??!! :mad2:

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! :censor:

NO MORE BFG'S FOR ME.....Even if I have to buy new wheels!!! :argue:

Marauderjack :cool:

PS: What the HELL did Ford have in mind when they did this???? :shake:

metroplex
07-15-2005, 04:01 AM
How are your tires wearing out so quickly? You guys have 1-3 year old vehicles and unless you put like 30,000-40,000 miles a year the tires shouldn't be going bald that quickly.

Marauderjack
07-15-2005, 04:14 AM
I spoke to BFG several time when my OEM rears were almost bald in the center at 7K miles!!!! :mad2: They stated that 10-15K mile is all you should expect from HP tires?? :bs:

If so then why do my fronts have about 25K miles left on them and I'm on my 3rd set of rears......CHEAP RUBBER??? :censor: Beats me?? :confused:

If I can find a smaller KDWS front tire I will put OEM fronts on the rear and get better mileage....I think?? :confused:

And NO my car will not spin the rears on dry pavement.....YET!!!! ;)

Marauderjack :D

Bluerauder
07-15-2005, 04:29 AM
Soooo......

Park your car with the bald BFG's until late August??!! :mad2:

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! :censor:

Seems to me that in production in late July with availability in August is alot better than Discontinued and Never !!!

Marauderjack
07-15-2005, 04:33 AM
If the answer was ....NEVER....I would politely ask Ford to step in with alternative wheel and tire options!!!! :censor:

I have never been a fan of BFG anyway and I really wonder how Ford came up with this combination and bottle neck?? :confused:

Marauderjack :bandit:

Fourth Horseman
07-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Personally, I got 23k out of my first set of rears. Considering the weight of this vehicle and how aggressively I launch it on a regular basis, I don't think 23k is all that bad for a w-rated tire.

Sure, I'd like to get 60,000 out of a tire, but if it's a choice between longevity and performance, I'll take performance every time.

Skiordie53
07-15-2005, 03:57 PM
i got 27k on my rears now still original tires, should get another 5-20k out of them

EbonyMarauder03
07-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Ford has gone to BFG for many performance applications lately. Firestone used to be their choice but we all know what happened there.

Don't feel too bad, in 79 Ford released a GT350 Mustang with metric wheels and only Michelin made the tires in that size.

As for going to a different wheel and tire you have to match the current tire diameters or the computer won't run properly. The computer knows the ratio of front to rear tire diameter so it knows how to compute speed for the speedometer, ABS, Traction Control and fuel strategy.

sleeper
07-15-2005, 04:54 PM
I have 40k on my '03 and am on my 3rd set of KDWS. I am disappointed in the wear. The rears are wearing in the centers very prematurely. The tire dealer I got my last set from (2 weeks ago) says these tires compress towars the center easily. I have had no problem finding these tires. I just wish I didn't have to find them as often.

SergntMac
07-15-2005, 04:56 PM
How are your tires wearing out so quickly? You guys have 1-3 year old vehicles and unless you put like 30,000-40,000 miles a year the tires shouldn't be going bald that quickly.It's called "power" Charlie. Get a handfull of it someday, you'll know what we enjoy.

BigMerc
07-15-2005, 09:37 PM
get Nittos they dont last long but they sure make the car hook

Rider90
07-15-2005, 11:06 PM
It's called "power" Charlie. Get a handfull of it someday, you'll know what we enjoy.

Power plus, I'm sure, something technical with the tread compound. I don't know. Something, you know? One of those things that are the things you are talking about when you reference them using the word something.

MarauderMarc
07-15-2005, 11:33 PM
How are your tires wearing out so quickly? You guys have 1-3 year old vehicles and unless you put like 30,000-40,000 miles a year the tires shouldn't be going bald that quickly.
Uh Oh!!!!! We've got us a Granny driver on our hands.......

BillyGman
07-16-2005, 12:00 AM
It's called "power" Charlie. Get a handfull of it someday, you'll know what we enjoy.LOL!!!!!! :rofl: I guess that's something that an owner of a 2,000 Crown Vic wouldn't know about. :baaa: :baaa: :baaa:

BillyGman
07-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Thought that I would put this in its own thread for reference. Below is the e-mail answer to my post/question to BFG on their site ..... Emphasis in bold is my addition. :D My question related to the OEM KDWS tires.hey that's great news Bluerauder!!!!! Thanks for sharing that with us. I use the P245/55 size on the front now, and I didn't know what i was going to do when supplies ran out, so I'm very glad to hear of this. BTW, did I read your quote right? At the bottom of the page it says "Michelin"???? I didn't know that Michelin owns BFGoodrich. Or is that old news?

Bluerauder
07-16-2005, 04:53 AM
hey that's great news Bluerauder!!!!! Thanks for sharing that with us. I use the P245/55 size on the front now, and I didn't know what i was going to do when supplies ran out, so I'm very glad to hear of this. BTW, did I read your quote right? At the bottom of the page it says "Michelin"???? I didn't know that Michelin owns BFGoodrich. Or is that old news?
:D BFG also posted an answer to the thread started by MENINBLK on their site. You can find that one at >>> BFG Post to the 245/55ZR18 KDWS Questions (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19678&page=4&pp=15) See post #56 of that thread. :D

I was also suprised to see Michelin in the signature block; but with all the mergers and acquisitions, its too hard to keep up. :rolleyes:

David Morton
07-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I too wore out my first set of rears out at 7000 miles.

I replaced them for $82 each plus tax.

Today that's the cost of four tankfulls of gas!

I stopped stressing about trying to get 30 or 60,000 miles out of tires that represent less cost per mile at 7000 miles wear than anything else I spend on the car.

I have a set of widened rims ready for my power upgrade (turbo) for use with the Nittos at the track but still plan to keep with the KDWS tire for regular street driving because we get a lot of rain here and the KDWS is very good in the train. Very good indeed. Glad to hear they haven't discontinued the tire.

ctrcbob
07-16-2005, 06:37 PM
If Michelin (French) does indeed own BFGoodrich (American), that makes sense.

Michelin was the first company to make Radial Tires, way back in 1948 when other tire companies (read American) said it could not be done. First Michelin's I had were on a 1960 Triumph TR3A. Dealer said that the new Michelin-X was the best, and he was correct. Note that even today, Michelin tires sell for more than other brands and people still think they are the best.

BFGoodrich was the first American company to make Radial tires back in 1970. When my original equipment tires wore out on my 1970 'Cuda 340, I replaced them with BFG Radials. Made a great difference.

This may be a marrage of firsts.