PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got Headers Installed!

3dogknight
07-15-2005, 11:25 AM
As some of you know, I have been waiting since before Memorial Day to a set of headers. I participated in the group buy for a set of Kooks started by Dennis Reinhart and waited and waited and waited.

Let me tell you that it was well worth the wait! Man, what a ride! I dynoed at 255 rwhp and 281 rwtq before the install. After the install I dynoed at 281 rwhp and 290 rwtq (numbers rounded)! I kept my stock mufflers and tailpipes (needed to reduce from 2 1/2" back to 2"), otherwise I would have gained even more! Needless to say, I am considering changing out the last part of my exhaust. However, the car idles quietely and screams when you step on it! Since I use my MM as a daily driver (approx.70 miles/day, 60 of them hwy), I wanted to keep the roar to a minimum. I will evaluate for a month or so, then make a decision.

Thanks to Oldekid (John) for the tip on Lamotta's Performance who did the install. They were patient and particular about how things should fit. One comment they had was about the quality of the Kooks products. The Lamotta team said they would not have wasted their time trying to install an inferior product. While Kooks ain't cheap, they are a quality product and it shows!

There was a silver MM there at the same time - maybe Papa John or RKammer? Not sure what was being done, but I hope you got the same great service I did!

Hope to make the picnic on the 24th!

oldekid
07-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Greg, glad to hear you finally did it, and I'm happy that things went well for you. That was probably Ray's Silver MM. I think he had a gear change scheduled there this week as well.

I was happy with them, and I hope Ray is too. It's nice to know that we have a local shop to go to when we need mods done right.

Thanks for the update, and have fun!

mpearce
07-15-2005, 07:34 PM
I kept my stock mufflers and tailpipes
Curious to know the "seat of the pants" difference with the addition of "just" the headers. How much change in sound did you get over stock? What does it sound like, can you describe it? Can you tell there's more power when you step on the pedal? We all know what the entire system does...just curious to know how the "headers-only" option performs. Thanks.

-Mat

FLMARAUDER
07-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Can't wait to get a set of headers from dennis. I live in Debary, Where did you get your headers installed

Todd
07-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Can't wait to get a set of headers from dennis. I live in Debary, Where did you get your headers installed

If you were asking the person who started this thread, he answered that in the top post.... See below.

Thanks to Oldekid (John) for the tip on Lamotta's Performance who did the install.

FLMARAUDER
07-15-2005, 08:06 PM
If you were asking the person who started this thread, he answered that in the top post.... See below.

Thanks

Where is Lamotta's

Cobra25
07-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Glad to hear you got some good results. Nice Numbers.

Mard
07-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Those are great dyno numbers! I assume you also installed Kooks x-pipe w/cats also? Do you have any dyno results you could post? I'd be interested to see where the extra horsepower develops.

How long did the installation take? The reason I ask is I will searching for a shop to install my Kooks kit and would be curious to see how that compares to shop estimates.

huot5
07-15-2005, 10:17 PM
My Kooks system arrived Wednesday the 13th. I have a set of 14355 Magnaflows to go with the install. Should be done by the end of next week. Thanks DR and Kook's.:rasta:

here's the pix I took after some welding to the x-pipe area.

PAPAJOHN
07-16-2005, 04:32 AM
Thanks

Where is Lamotta's
715 N Hwy 17/92 Ste 105, Longwood, FL 32750, Seminole County

Phones (407) 695-4549
(407) 695-0885 (FAX)

Marauder386
07-16-2005, 04:34 AM
I wonder if Dennis was able to get a few sets "up on his shelf" ... I am gonna be in his area for a school ( for about 2 months) .... Hmmm ... got my FRP bypass mufflers on right now ... they are great too !

:coolman:

3dogknight
07-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Curious to know the "seat of the pants" difference with the addition of "just" the headers. How much change in sound did you get over stock? What does it sound like, can you describe it? Can you tell there's more power when you step on the pedal? We all know what the entire system does...just curious to know how the "headers-only" option performs. Thanks.

-Mat
The sound quality is not what I expected - not bad, just different. At idle, the sound is almost identical to stock - pretty quiet. When running through the gears at regular driving speeds, there is a distinct difference in sound from within the car. While I was anticipating a throaty rumble, it is a higher pitch than I expected. When gunning the engine, she sounds great! A good, all-around 'better-not-count-me-out' roar.

3dogknight
07-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Those are great dyno numbers! I assume you also installed Kooks x-pipe w/cats also? Do you have any dyno results you could post? I'd be interested to see where the extra horsepower develops.

How long did the installation take? The reason I ask is I will searching for a shop to install my Kooks kit and would be curious to see how that compares to shop estimates.
My install was two days, but I'm not sure they were working on my car exclusively. I did get the x-pipes & cats.You can follow this link to see my dyno results: http://www.gregalgorri.com/Dyno.pdf