PDA

View Full Version : Heat

BigMerc
07-17-2005, 03:29 PM
what is there in the way of treatments or items to reduce heat from the long tubes? I am considering the Kooks but long experience with headers has me thinking twice.

Also anyone experiencing leaks? what is the best gasket being used?

RoyLPita
07-17-2005, 04:49 PM
You could always wrap them up.

Logan
07-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Header wrap is old school and not cool in this day and age.

While Kook's insists there's no need to do it, I for one have always recommended getting headers Jet Hot coated. Basically a ceramic coating. This DRASTICALLY reduces the heat radiated off the headers and sends it out the rear rather than into the engine bay.

The other side benefit being looks. Coated headers look like chrome and stay looking that way. Stainless takes on a burnt orange/brownish tinge almost immediately and IMHO just don't look as nice.

I ran Kook's headers on my ride for ages in TX heat and NEVER had a problem.

For the marauder, the best exhaust gasket you can get is the steel factory gasket that's already on your car, trust me, reuse it.

Thank me later. ;)

Dennis Reinhart
07-17-2005, 06:47 PM
what is there in the way of treatments or items to reduce heat from the long tubes? I am considering the Kooks but long experience with headers has me thinking twice.

Also anyone experiencing leaks? what is the best gasket being used?
its called Ceramic coating

BigMerc
07-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Thankyou for the info I'm thinking the coating will be better looking than the wrap also. Thats the way to go when I do the kooks im thinking.

MENINBLK
07-17-2005, 07:48 PM
its called Ceramic coating

Dennis,

How much extra is the Kooks Headers with Ceramic Coating ?
Do they come with the coating directly from Kooks ?

MarauderMarc
07-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Dennis,

How much extra is the Kooks Headers with Ceramic Coating ?
Do they come with the coating directly form Kooks ?
The coating is 300 extra

Logan
07-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Worth every penny.

MarauderMark
07-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Worth every penny.
Yes it is :up: That the way to go.. :D

BigMerc
07-19-2005, 06:41 PM
thats the plan then, what is the interior noise level like? would extra dynamat be an option or is it that bad?

Logan
07-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Not bad at all. If you don't want to hear it at all, go with 22" magnaflows, if you like to hear it when you get on it, go with the 14" magnaflows...

SergntMac
07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
I concur with everything posted here.

I had the Kook's kit last year and was going to replace my Reinhart Cobra manifolds with them, but I came to sell the kit to a friend in need. I am still tempted to buy again, but I have other fish to fry before I do.

Considering the performance of the Cobra manifolds I already own, this mod can wait. This is not meant to be a negative opinion against the Kook's, I just have other mods to accomplish which are more performance important at the present time.

I got in on a "Dennis deal" and got a great group buy price, and then I had them ceramic coated locally. "Jet-Hot" is a trademark name for ceramic coating, like Xerox is to copy machine, and Kleenex is to facial tissue. Anyway, ceramic coating will not difuse vibration, but it will reduce engine bay temps, which is equally important. My local ceramic coating cost was 285 bucks, you may expect about the same, unless you need to ship them somewhere, rather than drop them off. The box is not heavy, but it is large.

You'll not get any additional heat in the passenger cabin, and if the vibration turns to an audible drone that is too much for your taste, DynaMat.

Not bad at all. If you don't want to hear it at all, go with 22" magnaflows, if you like to hear it when you get on it, go with the 14" magnaflows...
The MagnaFlow in 22" is too large for the floorpan, because they are really 24" long, and the front of the muffler will dip down into the undercar air path, and affect ground clearance as well. Logan may be thinking of the Magnaflow 18"?, which is 22" long when the inlet/outlet pipes are included in measurments. MagnaFlow stocks by muffler body length, and the 18" fits the Marauder floor pan perfectly. Therefore, as he suggests, the 14" (which is 18" when including the inlet and outlet pipes) will provide a more aggressive tone, and again I concur.

In either case, add a 2" extension to to tailpipe and move the Meg's tips out past the rear bumper cover another 1.5", and all will be well.

Ummm...I agreed with everything posted here...Is this a first?

MENINBLK
07-20-2005, 05:00 PM
In either case, add a 2" extension to to tailpipe and move the Meg's tips out past the rear bumper cover another 1.5", and all will be well.

Do you add the 2" between the muffler and the Over Axle pipe,
or do you put it between the Over Axle pipe and the Megs tips ?

huot5
08-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Add a section between the over axle pipe and tips. here is my install. enjoy. I wrapped the tranny coolant lines and shifter cable with some thermotec heat shielding I had lying around. I didn't ceramic coat (should have) (maybe later) I flanged the muffler inlet pipe to better able remove the center section. I did not extend the tail pipes. The x-pipe bracing was welded on prior to install. just in case..

Oh yeah..and all those 02 sensor lines need checkin.

JOb is done! sounds sweet. no leaks. gonna runn it a while see if anything sounds or feels weird. I haven't hit highway wfo speeds yet.

Paul T. Casey
08-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Been running mine for a few weeks now. Love the sound, no heat issues, and love the power increase!! The only "heat beatin' mod" I've done is to wrap the starter. I used DEI wrap available at any speed shop, though I suppose the starter really could give a crap about who's brand name is on it so long as it keeps coolish.

Big Joe P
08-26-2005, 08:17 AM
what is there in the way of treatments or items to reduce heat from the long tubes?

THE SOLUTION (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=popup&image=http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=393)

Rider90
08-26-2005, 08:23 AM
THE SOLUTION (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=popup&image=http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=393)
Is that it's function? Nice

Logan
08-26-2005, 03:03 PM
You're such a pimp Joe... :P

Petrograde
08-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I was telling a buddy at work today about your kick ass functional heat vents.

:up: :bows:

huot5
08-27-2005, 02:10 AM
after two weeks of running with the Kook's system, there's not alot of engine heat created. not enought to worry about at least. the M's been running fine. and sounds great at WOT. averaged 13.64 Mpg's when i topped it off 5 days ago. trunks full of gear. (xtra weight killing the mileage).

Yamaha
08-31-2005, 12:08 PM
Add a section between the over axle pipe and tips. here is my install. enjoy. I wrapped the tranny coolant lines and shifter cable with some thermotec heat shielding I had lying around. I didn't ceramic coat (should have) (maybe later) I flanged the muffler inlet pipe to better able remove the center section. I did not extend the tail pipes. The x-pipe bracing was welded on prior to install. just in case..

Oh yeah..and all those 02 sensor lines need checkin.

JOb is done! sounds sweet. no leaks. gonna runn it a while see if anything sounds or feels weird. I haven't hit highway wfo speeds yet.
Looks Great ! Thanks, for posting the pics. I'm on the verge of doing the Kook's (coated). How's the sound ? Any increase in highway drone ? Stan 732-422-5703

huot5
09-11-2005, 11:23 AM
There is a drone at certain low throttle points. I don't drive long distances with family in the car ( the wife would prolly complain).
Rick-n-Miami dynomatted parts of his MM (possibly the trunk). That should help. If you can get the ceramic coating...might as well...it looks killer under the hood, as well as cooling abilities.
also, if you can check all areas where the heat may affect other parts the headers come near, consider protecting those areas with heat shielding...I picked up a starter heat shield just in case i want to wrap the starter ....

good luck...the Kooks exhaust works ... I think it was def worth it.