PDA

View Full Version : Installation requirements?

Bradley G
07-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I am going for the self-install tomorrow.

A big thanks to Chuck,(Tallboy) who PM'ed me with some install tips!
I was wondering about the suggestion , to change engine oil as part of the install.
How is this necessary?, if I have less than 500 miles on the car, since it was last changed.
Not trying to be stingy , just curious why it's necessary?

Mike M
07-24-2005, 11:07 PM

I was wondering about the suggestion , to change engine oil as part of the install.
How is this necessary?, if I have less than 500 miles on the car, since it was last changed.

Self install what?

RF Overlord
07-25-2005, 04:31 AM
I was wondering about the suggestion , to change engine oil as part of the install. How is this necessary?, if I have less than 500 miles on the car, since it was last changed.

Bradley, I'm sure I can't offer any better tips than Tallboy, who's done quite a few more installs than I have ;) , but the suggestion of changing the oil is a good one. Anytime you remove major parts from the motor, you WILL get bits of dirt, gasket material, etc no matter how careful you are. Also, the cutting/grinding process used to clearance the knock sensor boss generates a fair amount of aluminium dust. Changing the oil is just cheap insurance on your now considerably more valuable motor.

As the stresses on your motor have just gotten much greater with the installation of the blower, you may also want to consider stepping up to a full synthetic oil, if you aren't using one already.

Bradley G
07-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Mike,

I am installing a Trilogy Super Charger.

Self install what?

Bradley G
07-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks Bob.

That was a lot of dust from the Knock sensor bosses.
I was very careful and vacumed the area well after.
I suppose, I will follow your advice on synthetic oil.
I don't dare ask what brand, though :bricks: :chicken:

Bradley, I'm sure I can't offer any better tips than Tallboy, who's done quite a few more installs than I have ;) , but the suggestion of changing the oil is a good one. Anytime you remove major parts from the motor, you WILL get bits of dirt, gasket material, etc no matter how careful you are. Also, the cutting/grinding process used to clearance the knock sensor boss generates a fair amount of aluminium dust. Changing the oil is just cheap insurance on your now considerably more valuable motor.

As the stresses on your motor have just gotten much greater with the installation of the blower, you may also want to consider stepping up to a full synthetic oil, if you aren't using one already.

Rider90
07-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Had a good time this evening playing around with the S/C and feeling the power, dreaming, etc.. maybe some day. See ya tomorrow:cool:

Bradley G
07-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks for your help, Dude!:P
and the lift home!

Mike M
07-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Hi Mike,

I am installing a Trilogy Super Charger.

Oh...Good Luck.

maraudernkc
07-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Make sure you change your fuel filter. We have had two cars that had the fuel filters with about 80% blockage. Not good on a supercharged application.

Congrats on your new Trilogy! :)

Bradley G
07-26-2005, 04:50 AM
I promise to change both the erl and the fuel filter(s)
Thanks Mike & Greg!

RF Overlord
07-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Make sure you change your fuel filter. We have had two cars that had the fuel filters with about 80% blockage. Greg makes an excellent point. This would also be a good time to upgrade to the larger FG-800A fuel filter...(instructions are here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/faq.php?faq=how_to#faq_fuel_fi lter))