PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the shop

Bettye's 2003 M
07-27-2005, 03:09 PM
My 2003 MM was having a hard time getting going when I first started it. I took it to the shop on the 18th. First they said it needed decorbon, then it was the fuel injector, now they say they need to take off the manifold intake. I'm really starting to worry. Has anyone else had this problem? I have just over 17000 miles and only use premium gas.:help:

kingsford
07-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the site, :beer: I had something similar(i think). When you turn the engine on, it starts then goes down to a real low rpm, like it wants to shut off, then goes to normal?? It was some module that was bad. I will try to find out what module it was and how many miles i had. I don't think it was under warranty 36ooo + miles (currently have 61000), I think it was about 300 dollars from the dealership.

BTW: what area are you from?

Bettye's 2003 M
07-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the site, :beer: I had something similar(i think). When you turn the engine on, it starts then goes down to a real low rpm, like it wants to shut off, then goes to normal?? It was some module that was bad. I will try to find out what module it was and how many miles i had. I don't think it was under warranty 36ooo + miles (currently have 61000), I think it was about 300 dollars from the dealership.

BTW: what area are you from?I live in Southern Oregon

kingsford
07-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I have an uncle and aunt that live in Sweet Home....Oregon is a beautiful state

RoyLPita
07-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Welcome aboard. Enjoy the site and I'll ask around tomorrow.

Bluerauder
07-27-2005, 05:07 PM
My 2003 MM was having a hard time getting going when I first started it. I took it to the shop on the 18th. First they said it needed decorbon, then it was the fuel injector, now they say they need to take off the manifold intake..:help:
Welcome to the MM.Net, Bettye !!! :welcome:

There's lot of smart folks here that may be able to help. Can you give us a idea of what the symptoms were that made you take your MM in for service: such as, hard start, rough idle, stall, etc. I don't ever recall reading about any injector problems here. Couldn't even find much with the search function.

ROB502
07-27-2005, 05:32 PM
I had the cold start problem and the dealer updated the MD8 computer and its been fine ever since. 21000 and counting. Just serviced the trans,fuel filter, and air filter. She runs like day one. Wishing You the Best. :burnout:

jgc61sr2002
07-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Bettye - Welcome aboard. :welcome:

ckadiddle
07-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the board, Bettye!

Breadfan
07-28-2005, 07:34 AM
If it's only when cold I'd look into a bad sensor or computer problem before pulling the intake for any reason. Many sensors control the air/fuel mixture at cold starts, IAT, IAC, MAF, coolant temp sensor, etc. (I may have used some GM acronyms there, sorry!)

If it's bogging during normal driving it could be things such as a bad fuel regulator, pump, or clogged catalytic converter. But sounds like it's only at cold start which should mean it's engine management related - a good Ford technician should be able to track it down by examining all the signal's from sensors at cold start through warmup.

Make sure they're diagnosing it at a cold start, even if you have to leave it at the shop longer.

Hope it gets fixed!

Bettye's 2003 M
07-28-2005, 09:18 AM
If it's only when cold I'd look into a bad sensor or computer problem before pulling the intake for any reason. Many sensors control the air/fuel mixture at cold starts, IAT, IAC, MAF, coolant temp sensor, etc. (I may have used some GM acronyms there, sorry!)

If it's bogging during normal driving it could be things such as a bad fuel regulator, pump, or clogged catalytic converter. But sounds like it's only at cold start which should mean it's engine management related - a good Ford technician should be able to track it down by examining all the signal's from sensors at cold start through warmup.

Make sure they're diagnosing it at a cold start, even if you have to leave it at the shop longer.

Hope it gets fixed!Thank you for your sugestions. The reason they are keeping it so long is so they can have the cold starts.I just hope they know what they are doing. They claim they deal with the best tecks there are (sic) The stalling was only happening when I first stated up. I would give it gas and it would'nt want to go. Had a couple close calls is why I put it in the shop. I'm not sure I'm getting back to you the right way. I have never used this web site before.
Bettye

MERCMAN
07-28-2005, 09:36 AM
I have experienced the same problem. I only had it happen when I just pulled it out of the garage and then shut it off. When I restarted it later on, it seemed like it was flooded(in the old carb days) It would run, but it bogged down something awful. My solution was to let it idle to burn up the pig-rich dump of fuel when I first started it. Since then no problem.