PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging in California?

DeepSea117
07-28-2005, 07:14 PM
California, being what it is, limits my enjoyment of two of my passions:
Firearms and Automobiles

Has anyone in California supercharged their Marauder and made it legal for use on the public streets? I'm learning about the different aftermarket blowers, but none really refer to the tree-huggin C.A.R.B. regulations, in regards to being legal or not.

The closest I could get was the use of a Vortech system by a third-party, which Vortech then claimed C.A.R.B. exemption wasn't guaranteed when this was done. I know that the limited number of Marauders makes any sort of certification in California a really expensive effort for the different aftermarket blowers, but I'm hoping it's possible. Anyone got an idea?

California can really suck pretty BAD sometimes. :shake:

Mike M
07-28-2005, 07:28 PM
I hope Arizona is not the same.

Redster
07-28-2005, 07:36 PM
If you don't like it, get out. The California natives would appreciate it.

hitchhiker
07-28-2005, 09:40 PM
So get a PO Box in NV and register your car there.

:D

DeepSea117
07-28-2005, 10:22 PM
If you don't like it, get out. The California natives would appreciate it.
You mean the Ohlone Indians? Or people born in California?

MENINBLK
07-28-2005, 10:23 PM
You can always install it and play dumb.
You also gotta make some friends in the Industry or your Dealership.
Most car shows are great places to make friends. :coolman:

Emission testing is done at idle and at 55mph on a treadmill.
Most of the Forced Induction add ons will still pass an emission inspection today
providing it is tuned properly, and the engine maintenance is done religiously.
Visual inspection is another story, hence the needs for friends...

The next problem is the calibration you install into the computer.

I'm not sure if the technology used for inspection today can tell the difference
between a stock program and a custom program.
I know it checks for the emissions control monitors to make sure they have all passed.
It also checks for any Diagnostic Trouble Codes specifically related to Emissions Controls.

Outside of this, you need someone on the inside that can explain it to you.

Directedby
07-28-2005, 11:02 PM
You can always install it and play dumb.

Like you?

:lol:

STLR FN
07-28-2005, 11:03 PM
On a different note: Remind me never to move to California....

Directedby
07-28-2005, 11:06 PM
I have looked into this and the result is no Supercharger or Turbo will pass emmission testing in California. Their regulations are much higher than any other state.

If you put on a blower, you will need to get a smog certificate under the table every 2 years. I hear the street rate is about $200.

Not something I wanted to do.

I have put some goodies on my MM and am concerned I will not pass smog. I guess I will wait and see in a few years when I need the certificate.

Firearms and Automobiles

Has anyone in California supercharged their Marauder and made it legal for use on the public streets? I'm learning about the different aftermarket blowers, but none really refer to the tree-huggin C.A.R.B. regulations, in regards to being legal or not.

The closest I could get was the use of a Vortech system by a third-party, which Vortech then claimed C.A.R.B. exemption wasn't guaranteed when this was done. I know that the limited number of Marauders makes any sort of certification in California a really expensive effort for the different aftermarket blowers, but I'm hoping it's possible. Anyone got an idea?

torinodan
07-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I have looked into this and the result is no Supercharger or Turbo will pass emmission testing in California. Their regulations are much higher than any other state.

If you put on a blower, you will need to get a smog certificate under the table every 2 years. I hear the street rate is about $200.

Not something I wanted to do.

I have put some goodies on my MM and am concerned I will not pass smog. I guess I will wait and see in a few years when I need the certificate.That the same problem I had with my Torino when I was out here before. I paid big then the next month they changed the law where everything 73 and older was legal. Not too upset considering I was a 7 time gross polluter anyway and that was cheaper than more test.

Sactown
07-29-2005, 04:06 AM
I have found no CARB certified options. Become a Nevada resident and the problem goes away.

NAVCHAP
07-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Don't waste your time trying to solve the California puzzle, already been all through this. PM me, not going to address the issue in a thread. Will answer any and all questions by PM, email, or phone.

Mike M
07-29-2005, 05:50 AM
Firearms and Automobiles

Get the hell out of California, I just left New Jersey because NJ sucks as well. I really like Arizona so far and I plan on expanding my gun collection. I'm just not sure of the rules regarding motor vehicle inspections yet.
Out of all 50 states I think California is the only state that sucks worse then New Jersey.

ParkRanger
07-29-2005, 08:32 AM
This has been driving me nuts since day 1 of my MM experience. Would just love to S/C her but I cannot find a solution to the CARB issue. HELP! :mad2:

PR :burnout:

DeepSea117
07-29-2005, 02:56 PM
DirectedBy, thanks for the info. $200 dollars is 4 tankfuls of gas for the Marauder. Cuz they stick it to the Bay Area with gas prices too. And God forbid we should get 93 octane like the rest of the nation!

Mike, NJ = really high car insurance + no hollowpoints! My friends in jersey hated car insurance rates, especially in jersey city. Glad to hear Arizona is all it's cracked up to be with gun laws!

Get the hell out of California, I just left New Jersey because NJ sucks as well. I really like Arizona so far and I plan on expanding my gun collection. I'm just not sure of the rules regarding motor vehicle inspections yet.
Out of all 50 states I think California is the only state that sucks worse then New Jersey.

hitchhiker
07-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Out of all 50 states I think California is the only state that sucks worse then New Jersey.Enough California bashing already.

Get a post office box in NV and register your SC'd car there.

No Problem.

Califorina is still way cooler than elsewhere!

A state not run by closed-minded, easily fooled, easily manipulated, Bible thumping, hypocrites who vote away their future on a guy who's nothing but a corporate stooge bent on filling the pockets of his rich patrons.

Are y'all happy now that CAFTA has passed? That terrorism is now a permanent fact of life? That China and India have dynamically expanding horizons thanks to the jobs and technology sold to them by the sponsors of this regime?

I was raised to think for myself and I am proud of my wise parents who, by the way were old school Real Republicans, not today's corporate sponsored minions.

Shame on the unabashed greed and lies of DeLay, Bush, Frist, and Rove.

Long live the memory of Goldwater, Dirksen, Reagan, and Nixon. Yes, Nixon!

They were on OUR side.

Added later:

Sorry for the rant, but I get tired of hearing %#@ from
people who couldn't even count without their fingers!

The truth is that ALL of our states and regions of our great country offer unique climates, cultures, recreational opportunities, and great people.

http://www.themapdepot.com/wall_maps/images/usa/terra_nova_usa_small.gif (http://www.themapdepot.com/images/usa_maps/terra_nova_usa.gif)

None Suck!

Best Regards,

David

TooManyFords
07-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Wait... I think a small corner of Bakersfield is starting to pucker a little bit on that map... Maybe just Bakersfield sucks then.

:laugh:

John

Smokie
07-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Enough California bashing already.

Get a post office box in NV and register your SC'd car there.

No Problem.

Califorina is still way cooler than elsewhere!

A state not run by closed-minded, easily fooled, easily manipulated, Bible thumping, hypocrites Well you do have a sense of humor, that's for sure. Getting a post office box in a neighboring state, so that you can buy a supercharger for your car...no problem you say. Yes, you do have a sense of humor.:D

Redster
07-29-2005, 07:21 PM
You mean the Ohlone Indians? Or people born in California?

Miwuks and other native Californians.

boomguy
10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Actually, Allen Engine Development (AED) has several CARB approved superchargers that pass smog with ease. My 2005 CV LX Sport had a developmental Eaton Intercooled Supercharger on it that passes smogII now and it should be CARB certified before year end. I may not be as fast a a Supercharged MM, but I'll be way faster than a stock one and for several grand less.

ParkRanger
10-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Actually, Allen Engine Development (AED) has several CARB approved superchargers that pass smog with ease. My 2005 CV LX Sport had a developmental Eaton Intercooled Supercharger on it that passes smogII now and it should be CARB certified before year end. I may not be as fast a a Supercharged MM, but I'll be way faster than a stock one and for several grand less.

Where is AED located?

PR :burnout:

natacop
10-25-2006, 08:33 PM
my dads looking into s/c ours once its outta warranty so id like to find a solution also