PDA

View Full Version : Nittos 295 x 18 Users

Glenn
07-30-2005, 03:05 PM
I know we have a number of Nitto 305 Drag radial owners, but how many have gone with the 295 street tires on the widened rims? I am very pleased with the 295s. They look great on the MM and give it a very aggressive look from behind and noticably improve the handling. But, I have a question that I have not been able to obtain any information. What tire air pressures are owners using. I am running 28 psi. Has any one been testing tire pressures on the 295s.

Also, what are owner's experiences with air pressure when running the 1/4. How are 1/4 drivers coming off the line with the 295s, 4:10s and PI TC.

Thanks,

Glenn :burnout:

Mike M
07-30-2005, 03:36 PM
I am still trying to find out if they make sticky Nittos for the stock rear rim size.

Glenn
07-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Mike:

If you are S/C, the only really good solution if you want to use the OEM rims is to widened them and go with the Nittos 305 or street 295 18s. Personally the widened stock rims is the best way to go. ANY tire on the stock rims will go up in smoke with a S/C.

Glenn :burnout:

Rick-n-Miami
07-30-2005, 04:04 PM
I have the 295's on the rear, 245's on the fronts. Although, they are not yet on my car, rather sitting in my dinning room. However, I plan on putting 35psi.

BTW, they do look awesome when mounted on the rims!

Glenn
07-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Rick:

I had the higher air pressure in the 295s, but the ride was firmer and I lower it to 28 psi. You will notice that the 295 x 45s Nittos will firm up your ride.

Glenn

BillyGman
07-30-2005, 05:10 PM
They look great on the MM and give it a very aggressive look from behind and noticably improve the handling. How can any drag radials improve the handling of your car? That doesn't make sense. If you stated that they didn't really hurt the handling of your car, or that they aren't worse than the standard radials are, then I wouldn't neccessarily debate with you about that. But if you've noticed an improvement around fast turns with your tires, then they must not be drag radials. Nitto makes other tires besides drag radials. Are you sure you have the NT555R tires? Because the NT555 tires aren't drag radials at all like the NT555R is.

as far as the tire pressure goes, are you talking about for the drag strip, or on the street? I run 17-22 PSI at the dragstrip which is perfect. But on the street I run 28-32 PSI. but I have the drag radials(the "NT555R"), and that only applies to those.

FordNut
07-30-2005, 05:24 PM
How can any drag radials improve the handling of your car? That doesn't make sense. If you stated that they didn't really hurt the handling of your car, or that they aren't worse than the standard radials are, then I wouldn't neccessarily debate with you about that. But if you've noticed an improvement around fast turns with your tires, then they must not be drag radials. Nitto makes other tires besides drag radials. Are you sure you have the NT555R tires? Because the NT555 tires aren't drag radials at all like the NT555R is.

as far as the tire pressure goes, are you talking about for the drag strip, or on the street? I run 17-22 PSI at the dragstrip which is perfect. But on the street I run 28-32 PSI. but I have the drag radials(the "NT555R"), and that only applies to those.
He isn't running the drag radials, he has the NT555 street tires, which match the front tires.

BillyGman
07-30-2005, 05:29 PM
He isn't running the drag radials, he has the NT555 street tires, which match the front tires.AAAAAHHH, then that explains it. Thanks for that explanation FN. :up: BTW, I'm sure that the Drag radials (the "NT555R") provide better traction off the line at the Dragstrip for supercharged cars. So if anyone is considering the rim widening to go wider in the back, then keep in mind that you'll want the drag radials for that.

Glenn
07-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks, Brian. Yes, tires are Nitto 295x45x18 NT555 Extreme Performance street radials. Anyone else on the net have any experience with these tires and care to share information; road tire pressure, affect on ride/handling, tire pressure on the strip, etc. Curious how many net members are using these great tires.

Glenn

BillyGman
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Glenn, I didn't mean to distract from your thread. BTW, one advantage I'm sure is that those NT555 tires must be better in the rain during street driving than the NT555R's are.

FordNut
07-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks, Brian. Yes, tires are Nitto 295x45x18 NT555 Extreme Performance street radials. Anyone else on the net have any experience with these tires and care to share information; road tire pressure, affect on ride/handling, tire pressure on the strip, etc. Curious how many net members are using these great tires.

Glenn
I'll probably try them next set. I really like the Eagle F1 GS 295/45-18s for the rear, but there is nothing with a matching tread that fits the front. With the Nittos, you can have a matching set.

Marauderman
07-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Butch , from our Carolina Marauder club, just put on a set like yours Glenn on July 9th---and I know he has since driven them to Fla and back to NC....so check with him (PM)--maybe he can post up here his feelings as well......pretty sure he hasn't been to a track with them as yet though...Tom

Mike M
07-30-2005, 08:33 PM
BUT........................Are their any Nittos or BFG that make drag radials for our rear rims in the stock rim size????????????????????

FordNut
07-30-2005, 08:42 PM
BUT........................Are their any Nittos or BFG that make drag radials for our rear rims in the stock rim size????????????????????
No........

Big Joe P
07-30-2005, 08:42 PM
I have the Nitto 295's and run 30-32 psi. I wasn't that serious the 2 times I have been at the drag strip to adjust the pressure, just havin' fun.....

AzMarauder
07-30-2005, 10:16 PM
I'll probably try them next set. I really like the Eagle F1 GS 295/45-18s for the rear, but there is nothing with a matching tread that fits the front. With the Nittos, you can have a matching set.
Given a matching set with the NITTOs... what size tires are used for the front and rear?

What rim widths are required for front and rear?

I tried to find the 555 specs online but couldn't. Tire Rack doesn't show 'em...

BillyGman
07-31-2005, 02:30 AM
Here's a link to the Nitto website. you guys can find all the specs on there. But like Fordnut stated, don't bothert looking for 18" drag radials to fit your stock width back rims, because they don't exist. that's the trouble with having anything bigger than 17" wheels. there's a poor selection of both drag radials as well as snow tires in sizes above 17". And that's precisely why many of us supercharged Marauder owners (both centrifugal equipped as well as roots equipped) have opted for the wheel widening service through Lidio.

One consolation is that the P305's look real cool on the back of the car, especially from a rear veiw because they're so wide. The down side is that like any drag radials, they're expensive, and you don't get a lot of miles out of them when you use them for the street (like I do), and although they're just fine in the rain when you first get them, the shallow treads on them wear down quicky (especially if you do burnouts) and when they were to the point that they're almost gone (which doesn't take very long) they can be teacherous in the rain if you take quick turns, or if you drive over 55 MPH on the highway during a heavy rainstorm (this is NO exaggeration on my part!). But because they look so cool on the car while driving down the street, and work so well on the drag strip, I LUV them.

http://www.nittotire.com/

AzMarauder
07-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Here's a link to the Nitto website.
Ah.. where?

FordNut
07-31-2005, 09:14 AM
I believe Discount Tire carries Nittos.

AzMarauder
07-31-2005, 09:31 AM
I believe Discount Tire carries Nittos.
I went to the Discount Site earlier.....

What I was looking for was the tire specs.. (Disco doesn't show them) for height, width etc. I wanted to know what the size rims they would fit and how they compared with the stock tires.

I guess I am paranoid about changing the tires. I don't have the Traction Control so I have no worries there. But... I don't know if I get different heights if that affects the compter for the the ABS. I am also not willing to run a mixed tire tread etc. For a trip to the strip... who cares what you have on the back for rims/tires when you are seeking traction. Missmatch ... no worries. But on the street I like all my sneakers to match.

I also don't know how easy it is to get the speedo back into spec. I currently am adjusted through Lidio's tune for the 4.10s. But that was working with stock tire heights. What happens when I monkey with that? Can the speedo be adjusted in smaller increments to accomodate that?

2003DOHC
07-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Ah.. where?

Hope this helps!!

AzMarauder
07-31-2005, 10:30 AM

Hope this helps!!
Thanks Blue... so what are folks using as the front tire...?
The rear 295 comes close to OEM....
What is used up front?

BillyGman
07-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Ah.. where?OOOOOOOPS!Sorry about that.I edited my post, so look again. it's there now. www.Discounttiredirect.com (http://www.Discounttiredirect.com) is where I buy them from, but they don't have all the specs for them. atleast not for every size that Nitto makes.

RoyLPita
08-02-2005, 04:52 AM

The 295/45-18 Goodyear Eagle F1 is the standard tire on the Lightning from '99-'04.

SergntMac
08-02-2005, 06:10 AM
I apologize for this distraction from the topic, but it's already drifting just a bit. Just a few quick notes in the interest of those less knowledgeable readers.

As it's been noted that there's not a big selection of drag radials that fit our stock 18X8 wheels. This is true, I recently experimented with the BFG drag radial in 265/35/18 on 18X9 aftermarket wheels, and I was very disappointed. They would not hook up under the power my MM makes at the wheels, so, IMHO, tire size does play a strong part in building traction on the drag strip. I've since sold them, they should do well on a N/A MM, or, a lighter car such as a Mustang. BTW, a drag radial is a tire that comes with 5/32 or tread depth. Legally bald in most states is 3/32 trread depth, but this is why drag radials work. They offer the most traction in a controlled racing environment.

It's nice to shop on the 'net, but the cost of tires is relative to your local market. Once you decide to widen your rear wheels, your options improve. Shopping local business (and not just tire shops) around me and not just on the 'net, I found the best price for BFG drag radials in 295/35/18 (what Zack uses for his 1.6x 60 foot times) at 235. each, not including install and balance. I found the best price for a set of Nittos drag radials in 305/45/18 (what BillyG uses) at 358. a set of two, installed and balanced.

From a cost point of view, the Nitto drag radial is the better value. Durability and endurance may go to the BFG, but this remains to be seen at the end of this season. BTW, Zack's BFG drag radials are two seasons old now, and still hooking great, but he doesn't drive them on the street.

The lesson here, is decide what you want, shop the 'net for guidance, but go out and shop local stores too, and not just tire shops. Just because some sites on the 'net don't list availability doesn't mean a lot in the heat of race season. Sites may cut back on 'net availability when supplies get low so they can reserve a supply for local shops they support.

Once you decide to widen your wheels, take a peek at this?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20132

Greg mentions that shipping is not included, but it's been my experience from shipping wheels across the country, that shipping one wheel should cost in the area of 30. each, UPS insured. Considering the cost of aftermarket wheels in the correct size for the MM and the drag radial of your choice, this is the better deal, IMHO.

Back to street tires...Nitto seems to have a decent selection of sizes that will fit well on a Marauder, and wear well I suppose, but I haven't seen much wear data on them. I prefer Pirellis, and while they offer excellent grip at all four corners, they do not wear well. I suppose one bad point follows the one good point, however, due to their wear (and cost) I cannot recommend Pirelli.

However, if you're looking for pure excitement in the twisties and don't mind the expense, there's nothing better. At present, I'm using 245/45/18 front and 255/45/18 on the rear, on stock 18x8 wheels, 40 PSI and this set (my third) was just under 1k installed and road force balanced. Great tire, the best I've ever driven on, but expensive, short and long term.

The truth here, is that no one tire, wheel, or, combination thereof, is supreme. Your personal opinion has as much to do with it as anything else in the equasion.

Okay...I brought the topic around again, or, at least tried. Carry on...

BillyGman
08-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Just a correction here on prices.....the Nitto drag radials aren't $300+ as MAC stated, but they can be had for $228 per tire by going to the following link.....

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductCategoryDetailB rnd.do?tpc=NITHV4&tp=Competition

The Nitto's are also D.O.T. approved for street use, as I believe the BFG drag radials are too. However, the extra caution that should be used during driving in a rainstorm has been noted.I think that atleast one of the reasons why drag radial tires provide better traction during a hard launch is because the rubber compound is definately softer than most standard radial tires. And just like many of the Pirelli tires, that's why they wear a lot faster too. Like MAC stated, you can't have it all. it's all about trade-offs.

SergntMac
08-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Just a correction here on prices.....the Nitto drag radials aren't $300+ as MAC stated, but they can be had for $228 per tire by going to the following link..

First, take a peek here...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20135

Now, it's already happened in this thread, and again in the thread I've linked to. I hate it when companies do this with their model numbers. There is a Nitto street tire called Extrreme 555, and there is a drag radial called Extreme 555R, and folks confuse them often.

I went back to the tire store today to pick up my 555R drag radials, and guess what. Even the dealer (Just Tires) got them confused. The salesman promised me a set of Nitto drag radials, installed and balanced, for 358. just last week. I ordered them, they came in yesterday and I shot over there this morning. You guessed it...He priced out and ordered two street tires, not even in the correct size. So much for the good deal, eh? Wasn't a total loss, I got a 50. in-store credit for my trouble, so, if I cannot find another retail store with a better price, I'll go back and use that credit to lower the cost of these drag radials. BTW, he quoted me 228. for the drag radial also.

When something seems to be too good to be true, it's probably not true.

CRUZTAKER
08-02-2005, 01:36 PM
I like those prices Billy. Back when I was looking into the Nitto 555R, I couldn't find them locally for less than $325 each.

I stuck with OEM daily drivers, and just went right to slicks.

And one more thing....why is it that the same statement is always made....

"...the Nittos provide better traction for supercharged cars...."

I would think they would work for ALL of us running 12 second tanks...no? :D

SergntMac
08-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey Barry, want my 285/45 Pirellis? They are down to 3/32 dude...Ripe.

CRUZTAKER
08-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Hey Barry, want my 285/45 Pirellis? They are down to 3/32 dude...Ripe.
Absolutely!

I ran 13.2 NA on those bald pirellis....:burnout:

Drag rdials....tisk tisk. ;)

*BTW: The last set you passed on to me are down to the cords!
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootie pop....37.

BillyGman
08-02-2005, 04:30 PM
MAC, I agree. it's definately confusing between the "NT555" tires and the "NT555R" drag radials which are both from Nitto. I feel your pain. I think thaty only the NT555 tires are refered to as "extreme" whereas the drag radials are just called the "NT555R" but either way it's still confusing until you buy them two or three times over.

Barry, yes, I for one fully acknowledge all of you guys with other means of forced induction such as Nitrous oxide injection who are also in the 12 second club (and maybe some are even in the 11 second club already too).

FordNut
08-02-2005, 05:39 PM
First, take a peek here...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20135

Now, it's already happened in this thread, and again in the thread I've linked to. I hate it when companies do this with their model numbers. There is a Nitto street tire called Extrreme 555, and there is a drag radial called Extreme 555R, and folks confuse them often.

I went back to the tire store today to pick up my 555R drag radials, and guess what. Even the dealer (Just Tires) got them confused. The salesman promised me a set of Nitto drag radials, installed and balanced, for 358. just last week. I ordered them, they came in yesterday and I shot over there this morning. You guessed it...He priced out and ordered two street tires, not even in the correct size. So much for the good deal, eh? Wasn't a total loss, I got a 50. in-store credit for my trouble, so, if I cannot find another retail store with a better price, I'll go back and use that credit to lower the cost of these drag radials. BTW, he quoted me 228. for the drag radial also.

When something seems to be too good to be true, it's probably not true.

Just keep in mind that the 295s are street 555s, the 305s are the drag radial 555s.

Joe Walsh
08-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Just keep in mind that the 295s are street 555s, the 305s are the drag radial 555s.

I just remember the Nitto P305 555Rs stand for Racing....

BillyGman
08-03-2005, 01:54 AM
I just remember the Nitto P305 555Rs stand for Racing....Yep, but both the NT555, and the NT555R tires are D.O.T. approved for street driving.