PDA

View Full Version : "brembo Brake Systems" - Are They Worth Such A Big Step Up?

WJSOLOMON
08-29-2002, 09:59 PM
Picking up the "Newborn" 'Rauder this weekend, following the installation of "The Package" from our Sponsor - Reinhart Automotive - after the Engine Chip, Cooler Thermo & Plugs, Matrix Drive Shaft, 4.10 Gears for the Rear End, and MOTORCRAFT Full Synthetic Lubrcants for the Engine, Tranny, and Rear End, I just know that this Sled is going to Fly!

If the W / ZR Rated Tires are a "Safety Net" up through 168 MPH, wouldn't it just seem prudent to off-set all of these other Performance / Power Upgrades to Decrease the times from 0 - 155, with Brake Upgrades to Decrease the times from 155 - 0?

Brembo Brake Systems are the State of the Art for Race Cars, and unquestionably the Final Step Up for High Performance Cars! And, they are Beautiful to look at, in either Black, Grey, or Red. They're like the Calipers on German Cars, in that they seemed virtually uneffected by the Salt, and other Corrosive Elements out there on the Streets today.

I'm having my Performance Service Shop, who is installing the "Reinhart Automotive Performace Package", increase the Diameter of the Exhaust System from in back of the Cats to the Mufflers, from 2.0" to 2.25", to improve the Efficiency of the Entire System, and for more Enhanced Performance.

All of which begs the question - Can I safely expect to haul these Fresh New Ponies down from the "Enhanced-Top End", as a result of Dennis's Performance Enhancements, with the Stock OEM Brake System, or should I just simply "Bite The Bullet", (Hoping it's a small calibre........), and take the "Final Step Up" to Brembo's?

Inquiiring Minds Need to know!

:eek: :confused: ;) :cool:

Logan
08-30-2002, 06:58 AM
The stock brakes on the Marauder are excellent and are great in their own right. A cheaper upgrade for the brakes would be to put the P71 (Cop car) brakes in. IMHO unless you road-race regularly or bolted on a supercharger and Nitrous, I really wouldn't even worry about it.

I'm getting a price on Brembo's just for kicks, but they're usually upwards of $3000...

WJSOLOMON
08-30-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Logan: "The stock brakes on the Marauder are excellent and are great in their own right. A cheaper upgrade for the brakes would be to put the P71 (Cop car) brakes in. IMHO unless you road-race regularly or bolted on a supercharger and Nitrous, I really wouldn't even worry about it. I'm getting a price on Brembo's just for kicks, but they're usually upwards of $3000..."

Logan - Thanks for the timely opinion on our Stock OEM Brakes. If it Were to make a Dramatic Difference in the Stopping Distances, say from anything in excess of 100 MPH, for $3 Grand, I'd say my life was worth it, but will most likely wait and outfit the "Year End" Replacement.

I had a Lot of Trouble on their Web Site, in trying to either access their Dealer Locations (for here in the Mid-West), as well as letting me go on to "Marauder" as the "Model", immediately after "Mercury" for "Make Of Car".

What's the Secret?

:confused: :confused: ;) :cool:

bozobill
08-30-2002, 11:49 AM
WJ:

Just a thought IMHO...but you wouldn't have to worry about your life if you kept it under 100 mph. As Logan indicates, the stock grips are certainly able to rein in your speed from under 100 (I can attest to that on a personal level), but I agree that the Brembos would look fantastic on those wheels. Can you get them in "stealth" colors?

Logan
08-30-2002, 01:56 PM
The secret is make phone calls not look on crappily designed websites. :)

Like I said though, if you're not going to be racing the marauder on a track, brembo's are simply overkill.

But hey, if you got the dough, go for it.

WJSOLOMON
08-30-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Logan: "The secret is make phone calls not look on crappily designed websites. :) Like I said though, if you're not going to be racing the marauder on a track, Brembo's are simply overkill. But hey, if you got the dough, go for it".

At Speeds in excess of 100 MPH, the Brembo's are probably worth it, if your Life is worth at least $3,000.00!

Am I Right, or Wrong?

Logan
08-31-2002, 09:16 AM
I never find myself at speeds much in excess of 80mph on public roads so it really doesn't matter.

All I can say is I won't be spending 3g on brakes. :)

JerseyVics
08-31-2002, 09:33 AM
Cobras got front Brembo brakes, never heard any of those owners complaining with stopping problems. My friend put a Brembo system on his 00 Lightning, he does a lot of AutoX's so he needs it and he said it was well worth it... (Logan you might know him, he's "thepawn" on the L forums, Daniel form Jersey)

I think Brembos would be a nice addition to the Marauder... you don't have to necessarily do the entire system... since Brembo is a supporting vendor on my SVT Registry, I was browsing around their site looking for front rotors (since mine are gone on the 99POS) and they were not all that much more than the stock or aftermarket replacements you'd buy at a local parts store or from Ford Service... so you can definitely shoot for individual components that you feel need reinforcement where stock fall short...

all in all if you buy a Brembo system, shop thru my site, I get 5% of the sale... you don't win or loose anything... would certainly make me happy at these hard times...

--Russ:)