PDA

View Full Version : Kooks arrived, now a few questions

Rick-n-Miami
08-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi,

I ordered the complete Kooks setup a couple weeks back, and it was delivered the other day. First of all, the kit looks very impressive. The coated headers are really a work of art :beer:

Now, a couple questions to those of you who already have this kit.

1) Do the mufflers (magnaflows) connect directly to the X-pipe, or do I need to have 2.5" flow pipes made as a go-between?

2) In the parts box, there were two small, odd-shaped metal bars, about 8-10" in length. Sort of a strange S shape. Any ideas what these are for?

3) From everything I've read, I should stick with the stock gaskets. Correct? Should I use the collector gaskets supplied by Kooks?

4)I'm going to take this to a Ford speed shop down here. They seem quite good and have a great reputation in the local (and national) Mustang scene. I want them to install the entire kit (with Stage8 header bolts), and custom make the tailpipes back to the new delete tips I have. Are there any tips or suggestions I should know about?

Otherwise, I can't wait to hear this awesome kit!

CRUZTAKER
08-06-2005, 03:09 PM
3) From everything I've read, I should stick with the stock gaskets. Correct? Should I use the collector gaskets supplied by Kooks?
This question I can answer!

Yes, use the stock Header gaskets. BUT...I seriously recommend using copper collector gaskets where the header mates with the cat pipes. All of about $3 from Summit racing.

You may also want to have a bung installed for future dyno tunes in the header. KOOKS may already have this by now...the first runs did not.

BruteForce
08-06-2005, 03:26 PM
2) In the parts box, there were two small, odd-shaped metal bars, about 8-10" in length. Sort of a strange S shape. Any ideas what these are for?

Those are probably the tail pipe hangers.

MENINBLK
08-06-2005, 08:27 PM
You can also post questions here at KOOK's Forum...
http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/messageboard/index.php?a=forum&f=23

BillyGman
08-06-2005, 09:24 PM
I used the header gaskets that Kooks supplied me with along with the Stage 8 locking header bolts, and I haven't had any leaks since I installed them which was 24,000 miles ago. my thinking is that since Kooks has been making there own headers now for many years, I think that they ought to know what header gaskets work. I also think that if you're going to choose those steel shimmed gaskets that the factory exhaust manifolds use instead, then you ought to atleast buy new ones from the dealer, because the old ones are bound to be distorted.

Rick-n-Miami
08-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Ok, good start. Here's another question:

I want 2.5" pipes all the way out, including the tail pipes. I'm having a very difficult time finding a shop that can do the header install and get the custom made tail pipes accomplished in the same day. I refuse to leave my car overnight. What I'm thinking is to have one shop do the header, xpipe, muffler install one day. I'll drive the car home as is. Then take it to a really nice muffler shop to have the custom tailpipes made and welded onto the mufflers and new tips. As far as I can see, the existing tailpipes and tips will still be in place, just not connected to the mufflers for the one night.

The question is, can I drive the car without the mufflers/tailpipe being welded? Are the supports under the car present to support the weight of the x-pipe & mufflers without the tailpipes being connected?

TooManyFords
08-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Just have 2.5" pipe run to the mufflers and call it a day! The exhaust gasses have cooled sufficiently to not matter at that point and spending more all the way to the tips is, just, well, spending more. (IMHO)

At least you can get this done in a day.

Huzzah!

John

BillyGman
08-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Rick, I agree with what TooManyFords has stated, and that's why I also have the 2.5" diameter pipes all the way to the mufflers, but I still have the stock tailpipes and tips.Bbut it is your decision, so to answer your question, yes, driving around for a day or so with the tailpipes hanging wouldn't be a problem. I've done that before myself.

Smokie
08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Rick here is a view of the X-pipe, 2 1/2" pipe going into mufflers and OEM pipe at the muffler outlets. CLICK (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7603&size=medium&cat=500&page=1)

CRUZTAKER
08-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Just have 2.5" pipe run to the mufflers and call it a day! The exhaust gasses have cooled sufficiently to not matter at that point and spending more all the way to the tips is, just, well, spending more. (IMHO)
John
Rick, I agree with what TooManyFords has stated, and that's why I also have the 2.5" diameter pipes all the way to the mufflers, but I still have the stock tailpipes and tips.But it is your decision, so to answer your question, yes, driving around for a day or so with the tailpipes hanging wouldn't be a problem. I've done that before myself.
Double ditto...I make three. The new pipes are 2.5....the remaining pipes are fine the way they are. If you're bank rolled...great....spend the money.
But there is no gain to be made replacing the tail section.

FordNut
08-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Double ditto...I make three. The new pipes are 2.5....the remaining pipes are fine the way they are. If you're bank rolled...great....spend the money.
But there is no gain to be made replacing the tail section.
I heard that TAF was working on 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes at Grand Muffler. Keep your ears open...

BillyGman
08-09-2005, 08:20 PM
I heard that TAF was working on 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes at Grand Muffler. Keep your ears open...I only wish that Todd's place was in my home state, or even in a neighboring state, cuz I'd be going there for all the exhaust work that I chose not to do myself, and the portion that I couldn't do myself since I don't do welding, nor bending.

The thing with opening up the tailpipes to 2.5" in diameter though, is that the factory Marauder exhaust tip inlets are only 2.25" in diameter at best. So I suspect that they would have to be opened up too. Maybe that isn't a big deal though. Perhaps that can be done by simply cutting a 1/2" or so off of the beginning of the inlets, because if my memory serves me right, they're cone shaped.