PDA

View Full Version : Dyno tune question, car nearly stock

Mad4Macs
08-07-2005, 01:36 PM
What would you gain, if anything at all, by having a dyno tune performed on a bone-stock car?

Smokie
08-07-2005, 01:47 PM
A dyno tune would optimize your timing advance and A/F ratio to produce more power and torque than the stock programming that is optimized for BLANDNESS.

Mad4Macs
08-07-2005, 01:59 PM
A dyno tune would optimize your timing advance and A/F ratio to produce more power and torque than the stock programming that is optimized for BLANDNESS.

Would a dyno tune be more effective than simply "chipping" the car? I own a chip, but it's not installed at the moment.
Also, if the chip were reinstalled, would a tune make it even more effective?
Thanks again.

CRUZTAKER
08-07-2005, 02:00 PM
That solely depends on WHO does the tune.

If it were someone in this club with the corrected SCT files for shift pionts, lockups, and thorough A/F correcting...quite a bit.

I can assure you that the new (stock) members at the last meet here in Cleveland that got just a taste of Dennis' generic tuning from his travel tuner were smitten with glee.

It would actually feel and drive like a new car while gaining atleast 30 rwhp.

On the other hand...a joe smo tune not familiar with the Marauder idiosyncricies (sp?) and no access to the existing generic files....I would avoid.

Smokie
08-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Would a dyno tune be more effective than simply "chipping" the car? I own a chip, but it's not installed at the moment.
Also, if the chip were reinstalled, would a tune make it even more effective?
Thanks again.A chip has been configured to perform under a variety of conditions across the country and on any car (MM) that it is plugged in to, so a chip is a best possible compromise.

Dyno tuning can take the programming in that chip and optimized the results to your unique car.

Real world example: My existing flash program was dyno-tuned and my car gained a modest amount of peak Hp & torque, but the gains under the curve were actually quite significant.

bugsys03
08-07-2005, 05:22 PM
What would you gain, if anything at all, by having a dyno tune performed on a bone-stock car?

A GOOD tuner can get you about 20hp and firm up your shifts with a dynotune :)

MI2QWK4U
08-07-2005, 05:34 PM

Give Lidio a call at Alternative Auto a call, 586-463-0010, the shop is in Mt. Clemens. I take it you arent going to MVIII at the Dream Cruise? One of the events is a Marauder Dyno Day at Alternative Auto. You arent very far from there.

usafsniper
08-07-2005, 06:48 PM

My car is almost stock...JLT intake and Flowmasters...I ran down to Reinhart's this weekend and purchased an XCalibrator 2 and he flashed my car with his tune for stock gears and it doesn't even seem like the same car. Throttle response throughout the whole band is WAY better, and no more shift hunting in the transmission. Granted, this was a tune he flashed based off a quick visual of my intake and exhaust...not a DYNO...but it still made a huge difference since it was based off actual results in other cars. Your car will be slightly different from mine or anyone else's, but using something like the XCalibrator 2 can allow you to re-program your car anytime you make a change to get the most efficient power production available. So yeah, a DYNO tune would give your car a precision tune and is the best answer, but if you ever plan to do any other upgrades, you might want to think about getting a programmer that allows you future adjustability as well. Dennis was very helpful even though I dropped in on him in the middle of a project, and I'd recommend him to anyone.

Bluerauder
08-07-2005, 07:52 PM
It would actually feel and drive like a new car while gaining atleast 30 rwhp.

On the other hand...a joe smo tune not familiar with the Marauder idiosyncricies (sp?) and no access to the existing generic files....I would avoid.
Man, I could have used this information a couple months ago before I decided to show up late Wednesday afternoon at MV III. Looks like I'll miss out on a tune ........... :o