PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

Macon Marauder
03-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Not sure if this is in the right place, but...

When I drove the Marauder at lunch today it ran really rough after first starting. Smoothed out before I got out of the parking garage, though. So I figured (hoped? all was cool.

After a long lunch, started it up and the same thing: running ragged. But quickly smoothed out again. Then - a few miles down the road: Check Engine.

Ran fine all the way back to the office. I know I'm probably gonna have to take it in, but was just wondering if anybody else had experienced similar. I've had the RPC chip and plugs in for a few weeks now and no trouble. And still buying gas at the same place.

Fourth Horseman
03-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Mass air flow sensor maybe?

cyclone03
03-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Disconnect the battery.
Pull the chip.
Then reconnect the battery.See what happens.
If you don't have the problem again give Dennis a call,could be a chip problem,if the light comes back take it to the dealer,without the chip in it.

LincMercLover
03-14-2003, 03:28 PM
^Ditto...^

And yah, you're in the right spot.

Slowpoke
03-14-2003, 08:20 PM
that little chip i got from Davis Instruments will let you turn off the check engine light if you are so inclined to do so.

Macon Marauder
03-17-2003, 06:49 AM
:(
Thanks all. Pulled the chip and rebooted Saturday morning. No joy. Ran a little better, though.

Might be bad gas, I dunno. Drove to the nearby Amoco and filled up with clear gold. Gas mileage down to 14! Rebooted and everything seemed OK. Several miles later, CEL.

Now with Amoco, no RPC, runs great but CEL. And I can practically see needle on the gas gauge move.

Think I'll run this tank out and see. If it persists then it's back to the dealer.

WolfeBros
03-17-2003, 06:57 AM
All right ........who flamed Slowpoke ???

Macon Marauder
03-18-2003, 07:59 AM
A friend at work checked the codes for me this morning. They were 171 and 174 which translates to "too lean."

Before I take it into the dealership, anybody have any ideas about whether or not the Denso plugs might cause this condition?

They're the only part of the mods I didn't undo over the weekend.

Fourth Horseman
03-18-2003, 10:42 AM
I may be up in the night on this one, but it still sounds like a sensor to me.

Macon Marauder
03-18-2003, 10:48 AM
You're probably right. I should quit putting it off and take it to the dealer...

LincMercLover
03-18-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm with Forth on this one, sounds like a sensor may be shot.

Although, if it "feels" like it's back to normal, then maybe the code just needs to be erased?

Macon Marauder
03-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
I'm with Forth on this one, sounds like a sensor may be shot.

Although, if it "feels" like it's back to normal, then maybe the code just needs to be erased?

That's what I was hoping. We erased the codes and they came back this afternoon...

LincMercLover
03-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Yah, something's trippin' it... Have 'em check it out, hopefully you won't be long without her.

Warpath
03-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Macon Marauder
A friend at work checked the codes for me this morning. They were 171 and 174 which translates to "too lean."

Before I take it into the dealership, anybody have any ideas about whether or not the Denso plugs might cause this condition?

They're the only part of the mods I didn't undo over the weekend.

I doubt it has anything to do with plugs. The plugs don't have anything to do with A/F ratio. I agree with MAF or O2 sensor problems. The fact that the engine is reading too lean and it is also guzzling gas do not agree. Somethings up. Hopefully, you aren't actually too lean. These engines don't like that.

WolfeBros
03-19-2003, 09:50 AM
I agree with Warpath on the conflicting symptoms. Get it back to the dealer and let them sort it out for you. Please post what you find out. Good luck.

LincMercLover
03-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Umm... if the computer THINKS it's too lean, it'll guzzle gas untill it richens up, but still throw the code when it's beyond the normal limits of A/F ratio.

I doubt it's plugs though. Only thing they are doing for you is burning more completly.

WolfeBros
03-19-2003, 12:44 PM
oppps your right LML........the way it was stated before I thought he meant the engine was running lean and it was using more gas, which is a conflicting condition.

If the computer thinks it is running leaner than it should it will try and correct this with more fuel from injectors.

Nice catch.:D I'll shut up now....

Warpath
03-20-2003, 09:31 AM
My thoughts were the same as Wolfe's. I think the check engine light would go off once it returned to normal A/F. The code would still be stored in the ECU. I don't know for sure since I've never experienced it.

LincMercLover
03-20-2003, 11:56 AM
Well, evidentally it's within a normal AF ratio, seeing how it runs alright, but it's still overcompensating which throws the light. At least, that's what I THINK it's probably doing...

Macon Marauder
03-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Took it in yesterday. It's a sensor, all right. The O2. According to the nice service writer lady, it's "slow."

Anyway, of course they had to order the part. May be ready this afternoon.

Fourth Horseman
03-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Did you frown and say "Lady, there's nothing slow about my car?" :D

Macon Marauder
03-25-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Fourth Horseman
Did you frown and say "Lady, there's nothing slow about my car?" :D

LOL
Wish I'd thought of that...