PDA

View Full Version : Tech question

Fourth Horseman
08-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I've had my TCE brake kit on for just over 1,000 miles now and my front right brake is starting to really squeak when it gets hot. When applying the brakes the squeak goes away, but as soon as you let off the brakes it starts up again. When the brakes are cold it doesn't make any noise.

I'm planning on pulling the pads out, blowing everything out/off with air and inspecting the pads visually. I'm just curious if anybody has any suggestions. Would it pay to run through the bedding process again, to wear the pads a bit more? For what it's worth the left front is quiet as can be.

Todd TCE
08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Check that the pad clips top and bottom are not contacting the rotor any place.
A dab of silicone under the spring plate has dampened some harmonics at times too. Let it sit over night before you drive again so the silicone sets up as a dampener under it and dries hard.

The Hawl HPS pads may make noise as they are not considered quiet pads- they are High Performance Street and not the quietest pad in the land.

If you have the newer Wilwood BP10 (I don't recall) they are of the same basic nature and a semi metalic compound.

Fourth Horseman
08-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Check that the pad clips top and bottom are not contacting the rotor any place.
A dab of silicone under the spring plate has dampened some harmonics at times too. Let it sit over night before you drive again so the silicone sets up as a dampener under it and dries hard.

The Hawl HPS pads may make noise as they are not considered quiet pads- they are High Performance Street and not the quietest pad in the land.

If you have the newer Wilwood BP10 (I don't recall) they are of the same basic nature and a semi metalic compound.

I have the Hawk HPS pads. I don't require them to be super quiet. For example, these pads "grunt" as the car comes to a stop. That type of thing doesn't bother me. Actually, I'm surprised by how quiet they are during stopping, both easy and hard stops are nice and quiet. However, when not applying any brake at all and having the squeaking is annoying. It's really very loud. I should also note that this only started happening the last couple of days.

I'll give it a look tomorrow and may give your silicon trick a try. Thanks.

Fourth Horseman
08-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Just wanted to follow up on my previous post. Today I took my wheels off and checked out the brakes. Everything appears good. So it looks like one of the front-right pads just has a spot on it that is squeaking when it gets hot. As I didn't see anything that looked amiss I'll just let it wear in and hope the noise eventually goes away. The other three wheels are all nice and quiet, so I'm assuming this one will quiet down in time as well.