PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Lidio

martyo
08-10-2005, 04:53 AM
Lidio:

I am working on my '93 Mustang Convertible. I can never leave things alone and like my stuff to be a little bit different than everyone else's.

So, I was wondering, do you think it would be possible (practical) to widen a set of 16 inch 4 lug chrome Ponies off of a Fox body Mustang?

If so, when the work is done, will the wheels need to be re-chromed? Can you help out getting them re-chromed?

If working on the chrome wheels is a problem, would I be better off starting out with the standard Ponies and then chroming them after they have been widened?

If all of this can be done, would you mind discussing pricing and turn around time with me (via PM or telephone)?

Thanks for your input!

SergntMac
08-10-2005, 08:09 AM
Is 16X7 wide enough? If so, look up the FRP wheel...P/N M-1007-M167. If not, there is a 17X8 wheel, as well as 5 lug conversion kits too.

Get yourself a FRP catalogue, you can build a whole car from it. In fact, I think they did...

martyo
08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Is 16X7 wide enough? If so, look up the FRP wheel...P/N M-1007-M167. If not, there is a 17X8 wheel, as well as 5 lug conversion kits too.

Get yourself a FRP catalogue, you can build a whole car from it. In fact, I think they did...

Mac:

I am trying to retain the stock look but improve upon it like we did with the MM wheels. Stock looking but different is what we achieved with the wheels on our MMs and that's what I am toying with here.

I am at the early stages of work on this latest project, so I am in the exploration mode. I will look at what you have provided as well, but as of tomorrow, anbd despite their rarity, I will have 7 factory chrome ponies at my disposal, so I have some room to play around.

SergntMac
08-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Mac:

I am trying to retain the stock look but improve upon it like we did with the MM wheels. Stock looking but different is what we achieved with the wheels on our MMs and that's what I am toying with here. Got it. The number I posted is such a wheel, 16X7, four bolt, 4.25" bolt circle, 4.87" backspace, with center cap. Will fit 79-93 Mustangs. They are on page 15 of the '05 catalogue, but you may find them at www.fordracingparts.com too.

Lidio
08-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Lidio:

I am working on my '93 Mustang Convertible. I can never leave things alone and like my stuff to be a little bit different than everyone else's.

So, I was wondering, do you think it would be possible (practical) to widen a set of 16 inch 4 lug chrome Ponies off of a Fox body Mustang?

If so, when the work is done, will the wheels need to be re-chromed? Can you help out getting them re-chromed?

If working on the chrome wheels is a problem, would I be better off starting out with the standard Ponies and then chroming them after they have been widened?

If all of this can be done, would you mind discussing pricing and turn around time with me (via PM or telephone)?

Thanks for your input!

Martyo

Whether or not its practical to widen these particular wheels is up to you to decide. I think widening any production wheels is very cool. When it comes to the chrome. I cant make a referral to re-do them. But I have to say that my chrome 20’s on my 05 GT still look very good where they got widened and not refinished. Some guys even just repaint or coat the inside of the wheel back as well. I simply let mine go.

Chrome rims usually cost a little more to do but for the most part figure about $225 per rim.

Here's a couple of shots of my chromed rims widened 2" a few weeks ago with 315's on the 05 now.

Thanks

martyo
08-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Whether or not its practical to widen these particular wheels is up to you to decide. I think widening any production wheels is very cool.

Lidio:

I didn't see your reply 'til just now. I don't know how I missed it. But with the information from your post in mind, I will be giving this some very serious consideration.

Since you are a die hard Mustang guy, do you think that it make any sense to do this or am I going down the wrong path?

How wide do you think I can/should I go?

Do you think that there would be any significant advantage to getting 17's when I have a spare set of the 16s?

As always, thanks for your help and input!

Lidio
08-14-2005, 06:29 AM
Lidio:

I didn't see your reply 'til just now. I don't know how I missed it. But with the information from your post in mind, I will be giving this some very serious consideration.

Since you are a die hard Mustang guy, do you think that it make any sense to do this or am I going down the wrong path?

How wide do you think I can/should I go?

Do you think that there would be any significant advantage to getting 17's when I have a spare set of the 16s?

As always, thanks for your help and input!

Once again this decision is yours to make, but….

Personally if it where me, I’d step up to a minimum of a 17” wheel of some kind. There is a huge choice of seventeen’s out there that are 4 lug that went specifically after the FOX body market.
Unusually a 17 X 9” with the right off-set fits perfect all around on a ’93 and older Stang. I have a ’88 LX coupe that has the FRP Cobra “R” wheel that’s a 17 X 9. Mine are 5-lug cause I bought them about 8 years ago. Now days you can get the Cobra R’s and many others that are four lug for the 93 and older FOX.
On the rear with a 9” rim of some sort you can usually fit a 275/40 with out any sheet metal work other then the quad shock might need to be inverted or removed. If you remove the quad shock then a aftermarket lower control arm should be used other wise axle wined-up is excessive. And for the front tire with a 9” rim you would usually go with a 255/35 for a very good look all around.

I’m sorry for posting so many shots of my own cars on this thread, I feel like I might look like I’m trying to brag or high jack the thread, but I kinda do want to show off my ’88 LX that a lot of people don’t know about or think I don’t own any longer.

My wife bought this car new when we were dating back in ’88. Not really a big deal to most but we recently found out that supposedly only 37 or so where made in this color as a coupe or some thing like that in 1988. It has a stroked 351W that’s now a 392cu in. with a T-trim Vortech at about 18psi of boost. It make 645RWHP and lots of TQ. It could make more power but it doesn’t have a big enough header and a few other short comings. But with a full, rather stiff road race type suspension with all the sway bars on…. It runs 9.70’s at 145mph just the way you see in the PIX except with slicks and front runners on it. About three years ago I removed all the sway bars and all the exhaust and installed only a small H-pipe with short glass-pack type mufflers dumped under the car, when I ran it like this, it went 9.49 in the ¼ mile!!

Any way this rim size and tire combo all around I think looks good on the older Stangs.

MikesMerc
08-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Sorry for the off topic, but I luv that yellow car!! That's the car from that "famous" BFG Drag Radial ad isn't it?

MI2QWK4U
08-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Sorry for the off topic, but I luv that yellow car!! That's the car from that "famous" BFG Drag Radial ad isn't it?

Yes...it was featured in the very first BFG Drag Radial Magazine add. Lidio has the banner they gave him of the car in the add hanging in the shop. If you look real close, you notice Lidio's name on the passanger side window. That is one Hell of a KICK AZZ CAR...

Brutus
08-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I also have an old magazine that features this car. Very nice!!

MI2QWK4U
08-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I also have an old magazine that features this car. Very nice!!

You need to feel it....and it looks and acts as stock as can be. Cars never know what hit them.

martyo
08-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I’m sorry for posting so many shots of my own cars on this thread, I feel like I might look like I’m trying to brag or high jack the thread, but I kinda do want to show off my ’88 LX that a lot of people don’t know about or think I don’t own any longer.

Lidio: As always, I appreciate your help. My interest in widening the 16's started because I like the look of the stock wheels on the car and I have 7 of them. I found the Chrome Ponies in 17's, so based on your recommendation I will explore them. I need to see if I can get them in a wider wheel.

As far as derailing a thread. I hadn't noticed. As far as bragging on the car, have it my friend! If we aren't here to brag on our cars, then what's the point?

By the way, I LOVE that car of yours. It is simply Bad Ass. I love Fox bodies and yours is one sweet example. Here, let me brag for you:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72 44

Bradley G
08-25-2005, 08:47 PM
That is so incredibly unique.

Viewing literally thousands of stangs this year, I have not seen that color anywhere.
Brag away Lidio:trophy1: !!!