PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about 63 1/2 Marauder

rayjay
08-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Noticed an old Merc on a local used car lot. Now this lot always has quality vehicles, mostly Ford products. I stopped tonight to look at it, I'll be damned, its a 63 1/2 Marauder. 390 engine, ATX, red with a black vinyl top. 46,500 miles. The place was closed so I couldn't take a real close look. Car needs to be painted and rocker panels and lower rear quarters were filled and are now bubbled. The interior from what I could see was in good shape. Last time the car was on the road was 1982. I plan on stopping to look at it closer tomorrow. The asking price is $6450. I have no clue if thats high, low, is the 390 engine correct for the car? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

stanchfi
08-12-2005, 05:47 PM
yes, the 390 is correct for that year, Price sound a little high to me, but it sounds like the price might be justisfied by the condition. for a little more info check out my website

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~stanchfi/monterey.html

hope this helps

-james

Noticed an old Merc on a local used car lot. Now this lot always has quality vehicles, mostly Ford products. I stopped tonight to look at it, I'll be damned, its a 63 1/2 Marauder. 390 engine, ATX, red with a black vinyl top. 46,500 miles. The place was closed so I couldn't take a real close look. Car needs to be painted and rocker panels and lower rear quarters were filled and are now bubbled. The interior from what I could see was in good shape. Last time the car was on the road was 1982. I plan on stopping to look at it closer tomorrow. The asking price is $6450. I have no clue if thats high, low, is the 390 engine correct for the car? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rayjay
08-12-2005, 06:09 PM
yes, the 390 is correct for that year, Price sound a little high to me, but it sounds like the price might be justisfied by the condition. for a little more info check out my website

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~stanchfi/monterey.html

hope this helps

-james
Excellent site! The car is red, but as I said needs repainting and some restoration. I plan on stopping by my barber's shop in the morning. He collects 50's/60's cars. He may have a current Hemmings I can look at. I'll take a magnet with me to see how much glass is in her. If I buy it, it will be redone with new steel.

kirk
08-13-2005, 11:27 AM
You did not say it was an S-55, so I assume it is a bench seat car. This would affect the price also, an S-55 having a higher value. The price also sounds a bit high to me for a car that needs paint. The low miles my be the reason.

The 5th digit in the VIN is the engine code. Z = 390 4V and Y = 390 2V.

MENINBLK
08-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Whether the mileage is 46,500 or 146,500 you could not tell with the 5 digit speedometers from then.
Unless there is accurate service/inspection records you have no documentation on the mileage.

If the interior is in excellent condition, it is a plus.

You've got to get under it and check the condition of the frame and the exhaust.
Look particularly at the exhaust hangers.

There may be more work needed than meets the eye,
but everything you uncover can be used to negotiate a price
that suits your budget.

huot5
08-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Sounds like that would make a great project car . And to add that Marauder next to a current one in the stable would be more of a plus. I can see them now side by side. do it....do it.....:)

rayjay
08-14-2005, 09:12 AM
You did not say it was an S-55, so I assume it is a bench seat car. This would affect the price also, an S-55 having a higher value. The price also sounds a bit high to me for a car that needs paint. The low miles my be the reason.

The 5th digit in the VIN is the engine code. Z = 390 4V and Y = 390 2V.
The car is not a S55. It does have the bench seat and shifter on the column. The car is really solid except for some bondo in the lower rear quarters. I checked the whole car with a magnet. Usually up here the trunk in older cars will be rotted out. No even a sign of rust. This is from the dealers private collection. It started right up and ran very smooth. It has always been garaged in its 40+ year life. The interior is near perfect, the drivers seat has a 6" slice where it split at a seam. The vynil top is original and also near perfect.
Decisions, decisions :D The wife says go for it. I'll probably drive it tomorrow and do some haggling. I'm thinking hotrod painted 2004 MM DTR.

rayjay
08-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks for everyones responses. I spent a lot of time mulling this over the last couple days. I've decided to pass on the car. I just don't feel right about it. :(

prchrman
08-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Be sure to check the frame out very well...especially check in front of, over and behind the bend in the frame for the back axle...cars of this era are known for this...I am presently looking at a 67 Galaxie XL, 390 4V, fastback, auto in floor with buckets...super nice and a price to kill for but the frame is rotten...no sign on the body or interior that frame would be a problem...may still buy because the body and interior are great and it has 58,000 actual miles...willie

StevenJ
08-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Nah, 64 was the best year for the Galaxie. Anyway, weren't Marauders in that era just rebadged Ford Galaxies? You'd probably have a better chance at finding a same year Galaxie in better condition.

jakdad
08-31-2005, 08:10 AM
Nah, 64 was the best year for the Galaxie. Anyway, weren't Marauders in that era just rebadged Ford Galaxies? You'd probably have a better chance at finding a same year Galaxie in better condition. The 63 1/2 Galaxies and 64s were very similar. The Marauders were quite different in their sheet metal as opposed to the Galaxie. No rebadge here.
The Mercurys are more aerodynamic than the Fords. That's why a lot of NASCAR Fords began showing up at racetracks with the Mercury conversion on them. The mercury aero influence carried over into the 70s. Nope, they wern't rebadged Galaxies.
I think rayjay made a wise decision to pass on that marauder. That is to much money for a Merc needing that much tin work. I don't blame him shopping Mercs instead of Fords due to the Mercs lower production numbers. A 427 optioned Merc would probably be worth 1/3 more than the Ford counterpart. Don't get me wrong, I love those old Fords too. The Mercs are just getting harder to come by.