PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Clarification/4 Matching Tires

DPVLN
08-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey all,

Just to make sure I understand the 411, My 2004 MM which has traction control must have the OEM size tires on both ends.Running a matched set of 4 is not possible. Further more, I have visited my local Good/Year store and others, no one makes a tire in my OEM configuration. So I am stuck with the BFG KDW2s as the original KDW is discontinued. -yes I did a thread search, DR at one time mentioned something about a chip to correct this, but I didnt find anything further.

Your help is appreciated.

the_pack_rat
08-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey all,

Just to make sure I understand the 411, My 2004 MM which has traction control must have the OEM size tires on both ends.Running a matched set of 4 is not possible. Further more, I have visited my local Good/Year store and others, no one makes a tire in my OEM configuration. So I am stuck with the BFG KDW2s as the original KDW is discontinued. -yes I did a thread search, DR at one time mentioned something about a chip to correct this, but I didnt find anything further.

Your help is appreciated. Yes if you have TC, you must maintain the OEM sizes, or at least go with (2) other sizes that differ in similar percentages(rear vs front).

Nothing ever came of the DR thing ... which is a shame. It is certainly something I would love to see, as I feel the MM looks better with the larger tire all the way around. I would then have adjusted the rear air suspension to bring the tail end back up a pinch to maintain the OEM "rake".

The original KDW IS scheduled for a production run last we all heard. A few of us went over to BFG's website - voiced concerns & got a reply that the rear size should be late this month/early next month. A few may have even telephoned BFG & were told the same. The fronts AFAIK ... were/are still readily available ... not sure why the shop told you they couldn't get any/discoed etc etc.

Head over to the BFG website & visit their forums ... you'll see a thread about this.

Shora
08-15-2005, 09:02 PM
In just a few weeks the OEM BFG KDWS should be available. I, however, would recommend that you get the KDW2s. I do not have them yet but the OEM do not last me more than 1 year or 20,000 miles. My next set will be the KDW2. Good luck!

Breadfan
08-16-2005, 03:54 PM
So, are the KDW2's readily available? (Front AND rear?)

Just curious...I've read alot about this and it will be an issue one of these days...so far I've got rear tread, but one day...

JACook
08-16-2005, 11:09 PM
So, are the KDW2's readily available? (Front AND rear?)
Not exactly. They're available in the front 235-50-18, but not in the rear 245-55-18. AFAIK, that particular
size is only available in the KDWS. I believe the popular choice for the rears is to go up to the 255-55-18 KDW2.
Been puzzling over this myself, but I'm still on the fence over the 1/2" taller rear tire, and the read design...

Smokie
08-17-2005, 04:27 AM
... I believe the popular choice for the rears is to go up to the 255-55-18 KDW2.
Been puzzling over this myself, but I'm still on the fence over the 1/2" taller rear tire, and the read design...As far as the thread design, you should never buy something that you don't like the way it looks, worrying about a 1/2"? why? it raises your car a 1/4" from OEM. They offer better traction wet or dry. They are not all year tires if you live in the snow belt.

SergntMac
08-17-2005, 05:45 AM
I am by no interpretation an expert on this, but I have an opinion that guides my decisions.

IMHO, sensors at each wheel count wheel revolutions, and when they exceed a predetermined margin, the EEC interprets slip and invokes ABS/Traction Control features. Therefore, as long as the difference between the front and rear tire size is within this limit, you shouldn't have any problems.

I've tested an assortment of tires on my MM, including same size on all four corners. I didn't have any problems with that specifically, but another Chicagoland member did. Unfortunately, his mechanic anticipated a problem before a problem surfaced, and he changed something in the EEC. After that, the same size/all four would not work, and he switched back to OEM sizes. Morover, consider this. The '03 300As came with a full size spare in the front tire size, you could mount this in the rear without disturbing the ABS, despite the difference in height. BTW, there's been stories here about dealerships rotating the tires front to rear and setting off all the alarms.

This limit appears to be 1.10" difference between the front and rear sizes. If you want to change brand, size, or, design, you can calculate your new tire size to see how tall it is. If it's under this 1.10" margin, you should be good to go.

The Kenny Brown Marauder S build includes new tires, Pirelli in 255/45 front and 255/50 rear. No problems with on board systems, no adjustments to the EEC. At present, I'm running Pirelli 245/45 front and 255/45 rear, .36" difference, no problems. I also used 255/45 front and 285/45 rear, 1.06" difference, no problem. Here's an on-line calculator that may help you decide what you can do with tire sizes.

www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Anyone who says we are stuck with the OEM sizes, should look at this topic again, it's contrary to my experience.

looking97233
08-17-2005, 06:24 PM
I was looking around and found that Proxes makes some tires that would work for us. Their Proxes ST is available in 255/45/18 and 255/50/18 for the front/rear. This is a tire made for SUVs and trucks hence the ST -'Sport Truck'

I need to do some more reasearch on these before spending money on them though.

JACook
08-17-2005, 09:35 PM
BTW, there's been stories here about dealerships rotating the tires front to rear and setting off all the alarms. I can personally confirm this. The first time I drove Blue, I wasted no time in testing out the rightmost pedal.
It was all good 'till it got to ~40-45 MPH, when it completely laid down. Fortunately I noticed the Traction
Control light flashing, deduced there was something not right, and switched it off, salvaging the test drive.
It wasn't till we had been back at the dealership for a while that I noticed something was not quite right
with the tires...

This limit appears to be 1.10" difference between the front and rear sizes. As I contemplate my next set of tires, it's nice to know someone has Thanks for scoping this out.