PDA

View Full Version : Winter wheels/tires (again)

Eric91Z
08-18-2005, 05:09 PM
OK, I know this thread has been covered a number of times, but wanted to start a new one as things seem to have changed these days. I have contacted both Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct about winter wheel and tire packages.

Tire Rack got back to me and said they have the tires in the right size (215/65-16 front and 225/70-16 rear), but they no longer have the 16" steel wheels.

DTD said they won't be getting their winter tire stock until sometime in September. And nothing mentioned about the steel wheels.

So, the tires are out there, but what about wheels? Anyone have a good source for the P71 (police interceptor) steel wheels for the 2003+ to use for winter wheels? Don't want anything expensive. Just a properly sized steel wheel to use for winter driving.

Thanks.

MMM2003
08-18-2005, 05:25 PM
OK, I know this thread has been covered a number of times, but wanted to start a new one as things seem to have changed these days. I have contacted both Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct about winter wheel and tire packages.

Tire Rack got back to me and said they have the tires in the right size (215/65-16 front and 225/70-16 rear), but they no longer have the 16" steel wheels.

DTD said they won't be getting their winter tire stock until sometime in September. And nothing mentioned about the steel wheels.

So, the tires are out there, but what about wheels? Anyone have a good source for the P71 (police interceptor) steel wheels for the 2003+ to use for winter wheels? Don't want anything expensive. Just a properly sized steel wheel to use for winter driving.

Thanks.

If the 16:" steelies aren't available anymore, you want to contact "TheDealer", he can get you a good price on the "2003 Interceptor rims (for winter tire package) (215/65-16s {front} and 225/70-16s {rear} recommended to maintain an accurate speedometer) 3W7Z-1007-CA".

Good luck!

Peter aka MMM2003

Eric91Z
08-18-2005, 07:27 PM
If the 16:" steelies aren't available anymore, you want to contact "TheDealer", he can get you a good price on the "2003 Interceptor rims (for winter tire package) (215/65-16s {front} and 225/70-16s {rear} recommended to maintain an accurate speedometer) 3W7Z-1007-CA".

Good luck!

Peter aka MMM2003

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I will follow up with him.

RCSignals
08-18-2005, 11:38 PM
why don't you look for the new CVPI 17" steel wheels for winter tires?

Eric91Z
08-19-2005, 05:05 AM
why don't you look for the new CVPI 17" steel wheels for winter tires?

Are there as many winter tire options in 17" as there are in 16"? Are most of the '03+ CVPI wheels 17"?

ADE 1000
08-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Are there as many winter tire options in 17" as there are in 16"? Are most of the '03+ CVPI wheels 17"?

There are 17" options, but they are not as straight forward as the 16" options if you want to maintain the factory size ratios. The CVPI changing to 17" wheels is new for 2006, previous model years used a 16" wheel.

Eric91Z
08-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Works for me - I just want the easiest possible solution for winter tires. I have PM'd "The Dealer" for a quote on the 16" CVPI wheels, but don't assume to hear from him too soon since he just had surgery recently. Hoping he can get them at a decent price.

jd319
08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Are there any good winter/all weather tires out there that fit our wheels?

MMM2003
08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Are there any good winter/all weather tires out there that fit our wheels?
No, an exact fit doesn't exist. There are some 18" snow tires which are close, but I forgot the exact size and brand. Doing a search here may get you all the answers you need.

Good luck.

Eric91Z
08-19-2005, 10:16 AM
There is a set of winter tires for sale in the classifieds and they are 18"s, but all the same size, so would only work on an '03 300A without T/C.

I just want a second set of wheels/tires for the winter to swap on and back off in the spring. That way the factory wheels get saved from winter driving and they get saved from the mounting and balancing every fall and spring. And a chance to wash the inside of the stock wheels each fall when they would come off.

BillyGman
08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Are there any good winter/all weather tires out there that fit our wheels?Those "All-season" tires are never nearly as good in the snow as true snow tires are anyway. Last year I made it up some serious snow covered hills with my Marauder having real snow tires on, and two of them I had to drive around FWD cars that were stuck in order to make it up! I wouldn't have been able to do that with "all season" tires. They're "jack-of-all-trades" tires, but "master of none". And if you're going to be driving in the snow with yout Marauder, you need the best tires you can get for that IMO.;)

jdando
08-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Billy, what snow tires and wheels are you running?
jeremy

Those "All-season" tires are never nearly as good in the snow as true snow tires are anyway. Last year I made it up some serious snow covered hills with my Marauder having real snow tires on, and two of them I had to drive around FWD cars that were stuck in order to make it up! I wouldn't have been able to do that with "all season" tires. They're "jack-of-all-trades" tires, but "master of none". And if you're going to be driving in the snow with yout Marauder, you need the best tires you can get for that IMO.;)

Rider90
08-19-2005, 11:12 AM
I had Blizzaks when I had a Crown Vic. I recall driving through the lawn after 8" snowfall often ;)

BillyGman
08-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Billy, what snow tires and wheels are you running?
jeremyLike many others here, I have the Michelin Arctic Alpine snow tires for all four corners, however, for some reason they've discontinued them, and replaced them with other tires (I think they're called "X-Ice" or something like that) but as Rider 90 has indicated, I've heard that those Bridgestone Blizzaks are also excellent in the snow. If you go with the Blizzaks, keep in mind that there are 2 or 3 different types of those, and it's the "WS-50" Blizzaks that are the full fledged all-out snow tire. I would get those if I had to buy snow tires again. They have them in P235/65/16 which I would get on all four corners, however, unlike you guys that have Marauders w/the wussy traction control(:P ) I don't have that on my MM, so I can use the same size tire on all four corners.

jdando
08-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Don't be diss-in my traction control.

With the brake setup I have I will not be able to run 16" or 17" wheels. I need to stick with stock wheels or maybe get some 22" wheels and snows :eek:

I think my best bet is to get a second set of stock wheels and hope to find 18" snows that fit.

jeremy

python357
08-19-2005, 02:50 PM
ERIC,

Once you find a good setup on snows and wheels let me know I'm in dire need of front and rear tires. Rear kdw2's are not available yet and I may have to put the snows on early.http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/smilies/mecry.gif

Eric91Z
08-19-2005, 03:01 PM
I followed advice given above and contacted ""TheDealer" and got a price on 4 CVPI wheels. Very good price for the wheels. Then once I have those I will mostly likely contact DTD or TireRack for the tires. Will be either the Blizzak WS-50 or Pirelli's. Tire Rack recommended the Pirelli's. I have always heard good things about the Blizzaks, but a little worried about driving with them between snow or ice periods as I have heard they are not the best in that situation and wear very quickly, especially if it warms up at all. Again, just what I have heard, no experience with them myself - yet.

Basically looking for a dedicated winter tire to put on the car starting in November (or whenever we get the first snow) and leave on until March or April when winter is over. Then go back to the factory wheels/tires for the other part of the year.

BillyGman
08-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Don't be diss-in my traction control.

With the brake setup I have I will not be able to run 16" or 17" wheels. I need to stick with stock wheels or maybe get some 22" wheels and snows :eek:

I think my best bet is to get a second set of stock wheels and hope to find 18" snows that fit.

jeremyJeremy, the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires can be had in P235/55/18" from www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) and are 28.3" in height which is just about the same height ("outer diameter") as our factory stock back wheels are (which are 28.4") and that same tire height will easily fit in the front also, however, there again, if your car has traction control, it might set-off the dash light for your traction control. Sorry. Having both 18" wheels, and traction control too creates a lot of limitations when it comes to snow tire options. Atleast it does for Marauders anyway. Add to that, after market brake rotors that are bigger than stock in the front, and you have a combination that makes things almost impossible when it comes to snow tire options. I still have the stock brake rotors, and granted they don't stop the car like the after market ones do, but the trade-off is, that I can still use 16" wheels on all four corners. And there's no such thing as 18" steel wheels. They don't exist. So I guess you just can't have it all.

python357
08-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks Eric

python357
08-20-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm sorry guys but I don't get to this site nearly as much as I should could anyone direct me to "The dealer" is it a person or a web site?

MM03MOK
08-20-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm sorry guys but I don't get to this site nearly as much as I should could anyone direct me to "The dealer" is it a person or a web site?Here you go.....Ray = "TheDealer"

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=1210

Skiordie53
08-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Eric you mind us asking what the dealer quoted you for the 16" steelies?

BillyGman
08-20-2005, 11:27 AM
I have always heard good things about the Blizzaks, but a little worried about driving with them between snow or ice periods as I have heard they are not the best in that situation and wear very quickly...........

........Basically looking for a dedicated winter tire............ Eric, the choice is yours, but just so you know, most full-fledged snow tires made today have a tread that wears faster than most standard tires do. The reason for that is that most of them have a material called "silica" in the rubber, but in addition to causing quicker wear characteristics while driving on the dry pavement, silica also causes the rubber to remain pliable in cold temperatures unlike the rubber compound contained in the treads of standard tires which has a tendency to stiffen up when the temperatures really drop below the freezing point(which is one of the two reasons why you'll notice that your Marauder can spin those factory tires easier on the dry pavement when the temperatures drop well into the 20's or in the teens).

So that's why you won't get very high mileage out of the better snow tires that are made these days. But at the same time they're superior in the snow when it comes to traction, and they DO provide a major difference in negotiating big snow covered hills, and icy turns. More so than "all season" tires or some other "jack-of-all-trades" tires do.;)

As far as how safe they are during dry pavement commuting, the snow tires that I have are rated to 85 MPH. They don't handle around turns while driving at a high rate of speed like some standard tires do, but I've had my Marauder at 100 MPH on the open straights a few times with the snow tires on w/out any problem. And if your area gets any considerable amount of snow in thw winter time, then chances are there will be very few winter days when the pavement will be dry enough, as well as ice free, and sand free enough to be taking hairpin turns at a high rate of speed anyway. Just my 2 cents. :)

Eric91Z
08-20-2005, 06:16 PM
So that's why you won't get very high mileage out of the better snow tires that are made these days. But at the same time they're superior in the snow when it comes to traction, and they DO provide a major difference in negotiating big snow covered hills, and icy turns. More so than "all season" tires or some other "jack-of-all-trades" tires do.;)

As far as how safe they are during dry pavement commuting, the snow tires that I have are rated to 85 MPH. They don't handle around turns while driving at a high rate of speed like some standard tires do, but I've had my Marauder at 100 MPH on the open straights a few times with the snow tires on w/out any problem. And if your area gets any considerable amount of snow in thw winter time, then chances are there will be very few winter days when the pavement will be dry enough, as well as ice free, and sand free enough to be taking hairpin turns at a high rate of speed anyway. Just my 2 cents. :)

Yes, I agree. The safety of a dedicated winter tire is worth the extra wear. And around here, while we may not get huge amounts of snow fall, we do get very different road conditions. One stretch of road may be fine and then you come upon ice. Or, snow and ice melting during the day and re-freezing at night and the next morning. Definitely want the dedicated snow tire instead of "all-seasons".

ADE 1000
08-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Will be either the Blizzak WS-50 or Pirelli's.

I'd recommend the Pirelli's. I bought these last winter from the Tirerack and I was very happy with them. They are not as aggressive a snow tire as the WS-50, but they are a better overall tire IMHO. They are quiet, wear well, and have excellent dry weather performance for a snow tire. I drove in as much as 6"-8" of snow with them and did not even come close to getting stuck.

RCSignals
08-20-2005, 11:57 PM
......................... And there's no such thing as 18" steel wheels. They don't exist. So I guess you just can't have it all.

He could always gather four 18" Marauder spare wheels. Might have to have them widened though

Eric91Z
08-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Well, didn't really think this would be such a problem to come up with a winter wheel/tire package for a T/C equipped Marauder. I am going with the 16" steel wheels from TheDealer, but still trying to figure out which tires to go with. The Tire Rack website shows that they have the front size needed, but not the rear in the Blizzak WS-50. There is one review on the Pirelli Ice&Snow (it is listed as a light truck tire) from a Marauder owner. And they do some in the size needed. I emailed Tire Rack and here is the response I got and my original email:

Eric,

Unfortunately, I highly doubt we are going to offer any snow packages for this car due to the unusual tire sizes front and rear and huge brake package on the front of the car. We don’t have any smaller wheels that will even clear up front and the smallest tire size you can get is the 235/50-18 front size. You would have to run a tire on the back that is over 1 full inch shorter than stock. It just has too many issues to overcome.

OR

If you did want snow tires in the sizes you mentioned below your options would either be the Pirelli Ice & Snow or the Winterforce by firestone. They are both good winter tires..however a slight step down from the Blizzak.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Chase

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Eric.S.Mann@wellsfargo.com [mailto:Eric.S.Mann@wellsfargo. com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 4:12 PM
To: Chase Pinto The Tire Rack
Subject: Winter tires

Chase,

I had emailed back and forth with you a couple days ago about winter tires for a 2004 Mercury Marauder. I have found the 16” wheel setup that I am going to go with, but am trying to finalize the tire setup. Since the Marauder has different front and rear tire sizes and does have traction control, I am trying to keep the over all height the same (and difference front to rear the same). I have been advised that to do this on a 16” wheel, I should go with the following tire sizes:

Front: 215/65-16

Rear: 225/70-16

I think I would like to go with the Blizzak WS-50 and do find the front tire size on your website, but not the rear tire size? Is it true they are not available in that rear size? If so, you do you have another winter tire setup in those 2 sizes that are as good a dedicated winter tire as the Blizzak WS-50?

Thanks for your time.

Eric Mann

ADE 1000
08-26-2005, 10:35 AM
There is one review on the Pirelli Ice&Snow (it is listed as a light truck tire) from a Marauder owner. And they do some in the size needed.

That review on the Tirerack is mine. As I said earlier, the Pirellis are excellent tires.

I guess you can also go with the Winterforce. They are really cheap and I hear the perform well, but they are also extremely noisy.

Eric91Z
08-26-2005, 10:40 AM
That review on the Tirerack is mine. As I said earlier, the Pirellis are excellent tires.

I guess you can also go with the Winterforce. They are really cheap and I hear the perform well, but they are also extremely noisy.

I think, given your first hand input, and the other reviews for both tires, that the Pirelli is the better of the 2. Guess I will go that route.

2003DOHC
08-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Would not a P235/65/16 Blizzak work for the rear??

Eric91Z
08-26-2005, 12:01 PM

That I am not sure of. I can not find the tire calculator guide where you can put in various tire sizes to see the differences. I thought it was a Miata site of some kind.

EDIT: Found the site: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
And it does look like the 235/65-16 is closer to the stock 245/55-18, but I think the big issue is the size difference between the front and rear to be about the same as with the stock setup so the T/C does not get set. The 225/70-16 shows to be off by 2.7% and the 235/65-16 is off by 1.4% and the 215/65-16 for the front shows to be off by -0.9%. So I am not sure how that combination works for sure, but I guess the amount they are off is small enough not to set the traction control. So, given that, wouldn't the 235/65-16 be closer to the original size and thus be the better option?

OK, maybe I am over thinking this. I know for winter driving you want a skinnier tire anyway to get through the snow. And everything seems to point to the fact that people with Traction control that drive their Marauder in the winter with winter tires, do it fine with the 215/65-16 front and 225/70-16 rear. I guess if it works, why mess with it? Good question, though, on why not to run the 235/65-16 since it seems to be closer to the stock size.

2003DOHC
08-26-2005, 12:09 PM
The P235/65/16 Blizzak has a overall dia. of 28.0 inches stock tire 28.5 inches.

Eric91Z
08-26-2005, 12:26 PM
The P235/65/16 Blizzak has a overall dia. of 28.0 inches stock tire 28.5 inches.

My bad. I was using the wrong stock rear tire size. Was using a 50 not a 55 aspect. Using that, things turn out different

225/70-16 - off by -0.7%
235/65-16 - off by -2.0%

So, that 225/70-16 is closer to the stock size and almost the same difference as the 215/65-16 is from the stock 235/50-18 front (-0.7% and -0.9% respectively).

Guess I wasn't over thinking, just using the wrong numbers.

QWK SVT
08-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Yes, it will. I wanted the same brand/tread pattern on all fours... Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's work very well, with 225/60-16 for the fronts, and 235/65-16 for the backs. While slightly shorter, the combo still maintains the 1:1.05 front/back ratio on tire height, so the traction control doesn't flip out. The speedo difference is negligible (less than 1mph difference at 60mph).

Works really well in the varying levels of snow/ice cover the roads here in Toronto see, and they seem to be wearing very well. I've noticed no increase in road noise, but tend to have the radio on, anyway. When these wear down, I'll be buying another set...

2003DOHC
08-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Yes, it will. I wanted the same brand/tread pattern on all fours... Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's work very well, with 225/60-16 for the fronts, and 235/65-16 for the backs. While slightly shorter, the combo still maintains the 1:1.05 front/back ratio on tire height, so the traction control doesn't flip out. The speedo difference is negligible (less than 1mph difference at 60mph).

Works really well in the varying levels of snow/ice cover the roads here in Toronto see, and they seem to be wearing very well. I've noticed no increase in road noise, but tend to have the radio on, anyway. When these wear down, I'll be buying another set...

Thank you for your input. I also like the WS50 Blizzak. I have used them for many winters with excellent results. I thought these 2 sizes would work well together!!

Eric91Z
08-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Oh great, more food for thought. This is interesting as I have been reading good stuff about the Blizzak WS-50 and now have good input. But on the other hand, have had good input on the Pirelli's. Guess we will have to see what kind of mood I am once I get the car home, get the wheels ordered and check prices on tires and go from there...

Only about a 1 mph difference on the speed with a -2.0% difference in tires size, huh...

python357
08-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I was quoted at $59.06 + shipping for CVPI wheels by "The Dealer".:D

mongo
08-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Listening to you guys, I was thinking maybe I need snow tires, but then I remembered--I live in Arizona! :cool: I had frost on my windshield once last year too! I really feel for you guys!!:down: If it makes ya feel any better, I grew up in Ohio & have paid my dues. I drove many a Mustang in a snow storms, but as soon as my little legs would carry me--I got the hell out of there!
Mongo

BillyGman
08-30-2005, 11:37 PM
The P235/65/16 Blizzak has a overall dia. of 28.0 inches stock tire 28.5 inches.Yep, that's correct. And I don't think that a difference of merely .50" is anything to worry about.

QWK SVT
08-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Oh great, more food for thought. This is interesting as I have been reading good stuff about the Blizzak WS-50 and now have good input. But on the other hand, have had good input on the Pirelli's. Guess we will have to see what kind of mood I am once I get the car home, get the wheels ordered and check prices on tires and go from there...

Only about a 1 mph difference on the speed with a -2.0% difference in tires size, huh...
Yep - your speedo will read about 2% faster than you are actually going... Quick math and you come up with 60 / 1.02 = 58.8mph. Of course, that's assuming your speedo is bang on accurate :rolleyes: Downside is you odo will also put 2% more miles on. That 2 miles / 100, that you didn't get a chance to enjoy! ;)

MENINBLK
09-01-2005, 10:16 PM
The Pirelli Scorpions you need are in my sig.
I use them last year and they were EXCELLENT !!!

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Winter Tires (H Rated)
215/65TR16 98T FRONT, 225/70TR16 102T REAR
The sizes are PERFECT and recommended by Cy at Tirerack...

Ozz
09-02-2005, 07:44 AM
I just ordered my Scorpions Wednesday at noon from Tirerack... They were in my driveway when I got home Thursday. Same size as MENINBLK suggests. Going on my spare steelies this weekend.

BCPD199
09-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I just checked the Bridgestone sight along with TireRack and Discount Tires. None of them show a Blizzak in the 225/60-16.

STLR FN
09-02-2005, 10:04 AM
If ya want to keep your 18 Marauder wheels, use a 255 wheel option and you can get Hancooks or Blizzaks.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Bridgestone&tiremodel=Blizzak+LM%2D22

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Hankook&tiremodel=Icebear+W300

Eric91Z
09-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Alright, got my 16" CVPI wheels last night and just ordered the Pirelli's from Tire Rack today. I spoke with Chase, the saleman I had been emailing with, and he advised that Tire Rack has now added that tire combination for the Marauder as they did not have anything listed. So, if you get 16" wheels, they have that tire size listed for the Marauder now. I advised him that I owe this site for what I found out on the tire sizes.

So, they should be here next week and mounted and balanced sometime after that and ready to go when we end up getting snow around here.

Shaft333
09-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey cool! Tirerack does have some tire packages listed for the MM.
No steelies though, but a low cost alloy ($75 each) is available.

Priced em and found that the Pirelli's with the $75 wheels comes to $648 plus shipping.
What do you folks in the know think on this setup????

BillyGman
09-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey cool! Tirerack does have some tire packages listed for the MM.
No steelies though, but a low cost alloy ($75 each) is available.

Priced em and found that the Pirelli's with the $75 wheels comes to $648 plus shipping.
What do you folks in the know think on this setup???? I've never used the Pirelli snow tires (they are snow tires, right?) so I cannot comment on them, but the price doesn't sound too bad to me. We all got a btter price on a package deal last year, but that was last year, and I think that all prices usually go up. can you post a pic or atleast supply us with a link for these "alloy" wheels?