PDA

View Full Version : A/F Tuning Adjustments

LVMarauder
08-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Now that I've figured my Xcal out I want to adjust A/F to compensate for my JLT. Anyone have any numbers I can try with extreme tune?

Blackened300a
08-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Now that I've figured my Xcal out I want to adjust A/F to compensate for my JLT. Anyone have any numbers I can try with extreme tune?
Well Make it too rich and you'll foul out the plugs and waste gas, run too lean and you'll pick up the pieces of your engine with a shovel. If you arent going to run it on a dyno to tune it, Then I recommend asking the creater of the file you purchased. Tell him your Mods and he'll get it close to where your A/F should be. Thats what I did with my Xcal and Im 98% on the money

BillyGman
08-21-2005, 09:23 AM
That^sounds like very good advice to me. The only thing that I will add to that is that the ignition timing advance is even more critical to your engine than the A/F ratio is. Particularly when it comes to staying away from pinging (which can destroy your engine in short order). And the ignition timing advance works hand in hand with the A/F ratio, so you cannot separate one from the other.

As far as I know, professional engine tuners who are the best will NOT adjust the A/F ratio w/out also adjusting the ignition timing advance. So I for one would NOT be messing around with the A/F ratio w/out knowing what the optimal ignition timing advance is. The more lean you go w/the A/F ratio, the more power your engine will have, but the more prone it will also be to pinging! I think you're delving into territory that carries w/it potential danger to your engine. I'd take caution if I were you!!