PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Purge on Intake Manifold?

LVMarauder
08-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Since a cool intake makes more power does anyone think that pointing the purge toward the intake manifold will cool it the same way putting ice on the intake manifold at rest does? Might be a good way to cool the engine before a run down the 1320.

SergntMac
08-21-2005, 01:33 PM
I don't know much about Nitrous, so, I'll ask. Is it volatile? Flammable? Would spraying it on a hot intale manifold cause ignition? Will it discolor the manifold? Just asking...

MikesMerc
08-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Not a good idea.

Yes, nitrous is very combustible. Not volatile enough to ignite on the temps of the intake, but enough that you would never want it discharged under the hood. A spark or high exhaust manifold heat could easily ignite it.

You always want to vent your nitrous outside of the car.

Brutus
08-21-2005, 02:08 PM
I was always under the impression that nitrous in and of itself is not flamable. It is more of an accelerant (for lack of better term) for it is really just oxygen that is very cold under pressure that is introduced with extra fuel.

TooManyFords
08-21-2005, 02:11 PM
I was always under the impression that nitrous in and of itself is not flamable. It is more of an accelerant (for lack of better term) for it is really just oxygen that is very cold under pressure that is introduced with extra fuel.Brutus, you're into the bonus round! It just makes what -can- burn, burn more efficiently. The Nitrogen is just along for the ride, so-to-speak.

But to the original question, you should NEVER spray the engine with N2O. Too much risk of enhancing a problem if one should exist. If you want to cool it, spray CO2 from a second tank on the intake before and during the run. Same for spraying an Intercooler.

Huzzah!

john

MikesMerc
08-21-2005, 04:23 PM
I stand corrected on nitrous being flamable without the aid of another fuel source. I should have been much more clear about that. However, the principal still stands...never vent it under the hood. It can make the smallest backfire a big one, or enhance any other open flame as noted above!

Also, never vent CO2 under your hood. Another terrible idea. C02 can easily be picked up by your airbox and choke your motor. Most guys who use C02 successfully are very careful to vent it far away from the intake path, outside the sheet metal of the car, preferrably in the rear.

SergntMac
08-21-2005, 04:44 PM
So...What is Nitrous? NOs? Is it a gas that I can inhale and laugh more? In a high squeeky voice? Will it float my boat? Race my balloons into the sky?

What is this crap, and why do I care?

I hate being stupid...

MikesMerc
08-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Nitrous Oxide. N2O. 2 molecules of nitrogen, one molecule of oxygen.

Under extreme pressure and temperatures (such as conditions in the combustion chamber), the molecular structure of nitrous oxide breaks down. This introduces raw oxygen into the combustion chamber which allows for more fuel to be burned which in turn produces more power . Proper fuel levels are required to cool the process (oxygen burns very hot), and avoid detonation. The use of proper air/fuel ratios is essential and the quality of the nitrous system is paramount.

looking97233
08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
So...What is Nitrous? NOs? Is it a gas that I can inhale and laugh more? In a high squeeky voice? Will it float my boat? Race my balloons into the sky?

I hate being stupid...

Here ya go SergntMac and all others interested:

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/n2o/n2oc.htm

At room temperature, N2O is quite unreactive with most substances, including alkali metals, halogens, and even ozone. It is therefore widely used as a propellant in aerosol cans in place of the CFCs which can damage the ozone layer. When heated sufficiently, however, N2O decomposes exothermically to N2 and O2.

If this reaction occurs in the combustion chamber of an automobile, 3 moles of gas would be produced from 2 moles, providing an extra boost to the piston, as well as liberating more heat. It also has a number of other benefits. The increased oxygen provides more efficient combustion of fuel, the nitrogen buffers the increased cylinder pressure controlling the combustion, and the latent heat of vaporisation of the N2O reduces the intake temperature. Therefore N2O is occasionally injected into the fuel lines of racing cars to give more power to the engine and to give the car exceptional acceleration.

Rod.

Donny Carlson
08-21-2005, 08:48 PM

I hate being stupid...http://www.xs4all.nl/~4david/compact/LauGas.gif

Ahh, Nitrous Oxide.