PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problems

Jerry Barnes
08-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Folks,

Since we want to share experiences with failures on our transmissions, let's to the following:

1. What was the configuration of the vehicle when the transmission failed (i.e. supercharged or NA)

2. Mileage?

3. RWHP, RWTQ?

4. Build Date?

5. Type of use?

6. Previous trans mods?

7. What was the fix?

8. Dealer fix or Speed Shop fix?

9. Was it handled by warranty?

10. Type of supercharger?

11. etc.

This is how I would recommend informing everyone of our experiences. Non-emotional, non-confrontational. Just facts and helping everyone understand what to do and what not to do.

Thanks

Jerry

Breadfan
08-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Good idea! Hopefully we can keep this unbiased and personal difficulties out of it. It could be a great info source.

Should we add anything, maybe:

12.) Has the transmission fluid ever been serviced/flushed and if so at what mileage?

Fluid flushes can go a long way to prolonging transmission life when done in regular intervals. I will be doing mine at 18,000-20,000 mile intervals. (Interval length or at what mileage it was done is important here, as waiting 60k and then doing it is not really worth it and can cause damage due to breaking loose of large varnish deposits.)

What do you think?

Mad4Macs
08-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Oh boy!
1) Normally aspirated
2)
27400 miles
40400 miles
45000 miles
3)Unknown, but not much
4)Jun 2002
5)highway cruiser
6)Stock trannie
7)
Complete rebuild
Complete rebuild
Complete rebuild
8)dealer
9)yes
10)N/A
11)Removed personal comments :D

Mikeenh
08-22-2005, 04:49 PM
1. Stock

2. Mileage? 26,200

3. RWHP, RWTQ? 266 291.8

4. Build Date? 6/4/02

5. Type of use? Normal

6. Previous trans mods? none

7. What was the fix? COMPLETE rebuild

8. Dealer fix or Speed Shop fix? Reinhart rebuild

9. Was it handled by warranty? Ford stuck it to me......NADDA...ZIP...NOTHING. Bean counter regional and district manager. Won the battle but lost the war.

10. Type of supercharger? n/a

11. etc. I was willing to spend the money to keep from having the problems many had with their trans. I was too late. Trans shop said trans was built deffective.Needed a complete rebuild. Faught with Ford for a year and a half for some type of compensation. My last (and my wife too who never owned anything but a Ford) Ford made vehicle the way I was treated by them.
"We don't have a problem with these transmissions"

David Morton
08-27-2005, 08:44 PM
I'll put down what I can recall and if you need to know more PM me.

Mine failed May 7th @ 11,900 miles. I had installed the Predator tune in March (check my sig) and it is the only power adder. All full throttle shifts (except 4th) had been right on, firm and snap yer neck hard.

Got maybe 1500 miles on the tune and then the trouble started in May. For about a week it was making a chain link fence type sound on part throttle 4-3 downshifts. Then on the 7th it lost third entirely although 4th could be had with, well you can all figure that out.

I had almost never driven with O/D off (I do now unless I'm over 50 mph). Typical driving habit was Heavy throttle 'till the 1-2 shift and then let off so as to not exceed the speed limit too much (lots of 45 zones around here, mostly city driven). Then the Predator tune and 1-2 didn't happen until 50. So I'd be using less throttle or letting off early. My guess is the new program was trying to do 1-3 and that started the wear on the discs or 4-3 part throttle pressures were too low for the extra torque the tune gave or a combination of the two.

I paid the tech $20 to do a thorough job (he was working under warranty), got some good advice and bought a $50 shift kit he'd been putting in his modified Mustang customers' cars. It's the SK AODE & 4R70W "OD band failure--2nd roller failure--soft shifts--soft lockup" kit. So far so good. 3rd feels firmer and the kit also modified the standing start to a 2-1-2, starts in second from idle for just a moment and then backs to first to give less shock to the roller clutch.

1500 miles since the fix and no hint of trouble yet.

RVT04
09-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Folks,

Since we want to share experiences with failures on our transmissions, let's to the following:

1. What was the configuration of the vehicle when the transmission failed (i.e. supercharged or NA)

2. Mileage?

3. RWHP, RWTQ?

4. Build Date?

5. Type of use?

6. Previous trans mods?

7. What was the fix?

8. Dealer fix or Speed Shop fix?

9. Was it handled by warranty?

10. Type of supercharger?

11. etc.

This is how I would recommend informing everyone of our experiences. Non-emotional, non-confrontational. Just facts and helping everyone understand what to do and what not to do.

Thanks

Jerry
1. n/a
3.280 rwhp
4.6/03/02
5.daily driver in d/fw traffic
6.none
7.art karr level II/forced tailshaft lubrication
8.rebuild done by ford tech per Reinhart,
9.I supplied the $$$
11.the original chip bumped the line pressure and it cleaned up the shift points but i knew it was only a matter of time so when i got my car to dennis for the makeover that was number one on the priority: fix the weak link in the chain
i am also adding a b&m cooler, heat being mortal enemy #1, even with the deep sump finned pan and temp guage, Texas heat will kill anything
I'm gonna use this forum to stump for Dennis Reinhart, he did a top level job on my car the balance of power and handling is just what i wanted
thanks
oh yeah just the tranny rebuild i would say that parts and labor were less than a dealer rebuild

Smokie
09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I don't have a problem with tranny per say, after installing the T-Kit my 1-2 shift became very soft and I don't like it, Lidio told me he had a minor tranny mod that will resolve problem, however due to some poor communications it seems the parts will not reach me in time to be installed on the day I made arrangements with Carfixer 9/9/05. I don't know if I will run at Gainesville with the soft shift, I guess I will decide when the time comes.

Zack
09-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't have a problem with tranny per say, after installing the T-Kit my 1-2 shift became very soft and I don't like it, Lidio told me he had a minor tranny mod that will resolve problem, however due to some poor communications it seems the parts will not reach me in time to be installed on the day I made arrangements with Carfixer 9/9/05. I don't know if I will run at Gainesville with the soft shift, I guess I will decide when the time comes.

Ask Lidio to e-mail you your file in .zcf format and save it to disk or cd.
I can give you all the line pressure you want at the track, Im bringing my computer with the software.
You need a chip or a tuner too.

Smokie
09-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Ask Lidio to e-mail you your file in .zcf format and save it to disk or cd.
I can give you all the line pressure you want at the track, Im bringing my computer with the software.
You need a chip or a tuner too.Thank you, you have a PM.