PDA

View Full Version : Which Zaino products...?

RF Overlord
03-17-2003, 08:55 AM
It seems that spring is almost here in New England, so I am going to place my order with the Zaino brothers for some of their miracle curatives, and I'd like input from anyone who has used them. I was thinking of the Z-2 Polish for Clear-coat, the Z-5 Polish for Swirl Marks, etc, and the Z-16 Tire Gloss...

Any other recommendations? Please bear in mind that I'm just looking for something to make the car look nice, I'm not entering it in a concourse d'elegance...

Thanks all...

TAF
03-17-2003, 09:02 AM
I went "all the way" and couldn't recommend it any more!!!

Order:

ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive for Z-2, Z-3 & Z-5 * NEW *
Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Finishes
Z-5 Polish for Swirl Marks & Fine Scratches
Z-6 Ultra Clean "Gloss Enhancer" Spray
Z-7 Show Car Wash
Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner
Z-10 "Leather in a Bottle" Treatment and Conditioner
Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss
Z-18 ClayBar

This will come FREE with your order, but for $2.50/I'd order a couple more
#314 Custom 4x5 Polish Applicator

Print out and follow the directions. Plan on a long day for the first application and from then on it's just maintenance.

DO the Clay-Bar...using the Z-6 spray for lube...it's worth it!

RF Overlord
03-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Jesus, todd, I just want the black to look nice, not disappear into itself...

:lol:

Besides, I don't think my right arm can take that much "wax on, wax off" all at once...

TAF
03-17-2003, 09:30 AM
It's WORTH it...just be nice to the "bunny" and MAYBE you'll get some help...

I'm tellin you...this is the BEST investment to the paint that you can make. See below...she sure is purdy when she's clean...

WolfeBros
03-17-2003, 10:22 AM
^^^What Todd said^^^

RF it is definitely worth it. And believe it or not you do need all that stuff. It is easy to put on and take off......so no arm strain.
That leather conditioner is awesome. New smell in a bottle.

Any questions on how to use it.......come back and ask.
The first application is the most time consuming. After that it is very easy.

TAF
03-17-2003, 10:23 AM
^^^^It's like we're "brothers"^^^^

WolfeBros
03-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Thats what makes this site so cool.......we are all Brothers. :D

B-26
03-17-2003, 04:55 PM
I've been using Meguiar's but you guys have almost convinced me to switch. I don't care what it costs if it is that good? If so i will get me some.

tomd
03-21-2003, 04:00 PM
what's the Z-18 ClayBar? Is it like a bar of soap, how does it go on? :bandit:

sailsmen
03-21-2003, 09:11 PM
For a daily driver I highly reccommend Collinite. It is the most durable carnuba based wax I have found. The shine is good, perhaps not as wet as some of the show car finish coatings but the durability protects the paint finish.

Effster
03-22-2003, 10:05 PM
RF,,go zaino or go home..........PERIOD!

Bigdogjim
03-22-2003, 10:38 PM
sailsmen: Where did you get your Collinite?? I used that in the early 80's have not seen it in a long time.... Can you post a reply or PM me with web site or address??
Thanks
Big Dog

sailsmen
03-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Do a search for Collinite wax. Check your pm.

martyo
03-23-2003, 07:32 AM
I have not bought any of the Zaino's products yet. Can some one post how the clay bar works and how it is applied, etc. Thanks!

TAF
03-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Marty,

It's a very simple process. (Think Demi Moore in the scene from "Ghost"....NOT)

It's literally a bar or soft, pliable clay. You use the Z-6 Spray Gloss enhancer as the "lube". Spray Z-6 on a section of the car (after you've washed it thoroughly with Dawn dishwashing soap to remove any wax or build-up). Rub the Clay Bar over the section that you just sprayed and it will pick up most if not all particles of dirt, brakedust and debris that has become enbedded into your paint. Do the entire car (front-back/top-bottom). The finish will now feel like glass! End with washing once with Zaino Z-7 carwash then add as many layers as you want of the Z-2 Polish Lok for the best shine you've ever seen. If you have any swirls or scratches, do a couple applications of the Z-5 before "locking-in" with the Z-2. Spray and wipe off between each application with the same Z-6 you used with the Clay Bar.

Step back....and enjoy!

martyo
03-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Todd: Thanks for the response. This looks like a good project for my GF! Unless of course I can get RF or you to come to NY!!

RF Overlord
03-23-2003, 09:10 AM
I dunno, todd, sounds like a fairly complex, time-consuming job...maybe I should have a professional (todd) or someone with experience (todd) come up and do it for me the first time (todd).

My Zaino collection should be here this week, so maybe I can start on it next weekend...todd, you gonna be around in case I end up stripping the paint with it, or something else happens?

:lol: :D

SergntMac
03-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Good Lord, I'm exhausted from just reading!

After reading this whole thread, I'm real, real glad that I live four blocks from an old time hand wash, where my guy "Zeus" (not kidding here, he's 6'8", 170#, and talks porch monkey country, just like the chauffer in Driving Miss Daisy) has an knack for the perfect wash and hand wax of a black car. I don't know his secrets, seems I got to move on until he's done, but it takes only 2 hours, costs only 60 bucks, (including a 10 buck tip) and I get his '02 GM (with pimp kit) to run my errands.

Zaino this, eh? Find yourself a Zeus! Ahh...IMHO?

PS. Zeus' wifey runs the lunch bar next door, with the best cornbread muffins and black-eyes you could ask for, and she howls all day long over a cop in a kilt...Go figure.

TAF
03-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Sarge,

You may have me on the mods (right now)...but I'll park mine next to yours anytime for the "shine-off", even right after Zeus does his voo-doo and I haven't washed her for a couple of weeks. Just ask anyone on here that's seen her....

It's just the first time that takes a little more time (shouldn't that ALWAYS be the case, in life)...after that...it's just a quick wash and dry...and @ $60 a pop? Too rich for my blood...

I will come share some of that cornbread and blackeyed peas with ya sometime, though...sounds like Zeus and wife came from down here where we know how to cook that stuff...

Marauderman
03-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Been with TAF--He's right about that food and stuff-- being down south and all!!!!

Marauderman
03-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Also --saw his MM for the first time and was amazed-asked him then---"did you just wash it" He (Todd-TAF) replied--"No - been a couple of weeks and have ride'n it in a couple of rain storems as well since then"--I couldn't believe it--it looked as though he just washed it before we just met--In Jan. no doubt. SO...I believe in the "Z" use..However-If I ever get the chance--I dread the time it takes to do the first application as everyone has said is ther most time consuming-- TAF is correct--in other words--- whether or not he is willing to aid--well name a $$$ or two to intice him and lets see if he is intrigued--
maybe he may bite---but I doubt it!!!

IN the end --The "Z' Car is the most recommended!!

CRUZTAKER
03-23-2003, 06:39 PM
As a guy who considered himself as an above ordinary auto detailer..........I actually had never heard of a clay bar.

The 19 year old girl (they have girls now) at the auto parts store showed me maguires version of the clay bar. I got anxious while waiting for my Zaino stuff to come.

I gotta tell you all, a clay bar is a clay bar. Lube is lube. Both products are nearly the same. The clay bar reminds me of stale playdoe, or the material the old stretch arm strong's were made of. Remember those you under 40's? Its plyable like wax, but doesn't fall apart.

IT REQUIRES ABSOLUTELY NO ARM STRENGTH. I thought this would be a pain in the a$$ as well. With the lube, the bar glides. You just fold it over and knead it after each little section. I found that keeping a real good quality 100% cotton towel over your shoulder, and wipe the 2x2 section you just did to a high shine each time.....before you know it, you're done. I am not kidding, for an amateure clay bar user, I did the whole car in 30 minutes. That included the initial getting used to it, and then flying through. Do not swirl, use back and forth motions.

Now I see why LML does it like once a month or something....

JohnnyB
03-23-2003, 06:54 PM
I just did the Zaino treatment on my MArk VIII this morning. Used Dawn liquid first, followed by claybar, followed by polish lock, followed by z-1 and topped of with gloss enhancer. Also did the interior with the leather cleaner and conditioner. Took two hours........

CRUZTAKER
03-23-2003, 06:54 PM
AND!!!

The zaino bro HIMSELF recommended I use 3m's swirl mark remover first, because of the scratching I told him of. I am thinking two things.......1) Why would he recommend a competitor over his own product? .....2)I'll never find this stuff.

Wrong! Found it in the first auto part store I went in. A very plain generic black bottle with a label similar to industrial supply cleaner. One would overlook it for it unpretentious label.
"3M SWIRL MARK REMOVER" if you open it and look, it is a dark charcoal color. First time use....difficult. Results.....bye bye scratches, spider marks, and swirl marks.

3M also makes a phase two to this product. What do you know....they also claim wet look. Like I said, I bought Zainos product, just the bars, Z-5, and Zaino polish lock. <<3M doesn't make this killer polish lock.
3M does the rest. And their wax is comparable.

If Zaino was an advertiser on this site, I would have kept this to myself.....but Zaino himself recommended it.....probably not a good idea.

TAF
03-23-2003, 07:28 PM
You're right, CRUZ.

When I "lifted" my rear badge for the replacement, I used an old "credit-dard" type hotel room key (this is before I realized and recommended here to use a common plastic scraper available at Home Depot) and got a few minor scratches around where the badge was. I tried the Z-5, but could still see them. Called Sal Zaino and asked his advice...he recommended the 3M product. I just consider that great and honest customer service.

SergntMac
03-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Okay, okay...Jezze! Leggo my arm, okay!

Give a guy a break, eh? Just offering another train of thought on this, right?

My MM sees all kinds of weather, all kinds of neighborhoods, and all kinds of parking lots. I can't help that, when I feel like it's a day she's gonna take me to work, she takes me.

When it's time to wax her down, Zeus gets my money. She doesn't come out looking "wet," but she IS clean, and as shinny as she is going to be, considering her cir***stances.

Sorry, I just don't have the time in my life to give her the attention she begs for, she will have to do with what she gets.

OMG...Sounds like my divorce papers...

LincMercLover
03-23-2003, 08:46 PM
Yup yup, once a month (or every other wash in the winter) with the clay bar and you'll be amazed! I use Magic Clay Bar though. I've had this thing for quite some time now, so lube is LONG gone. Use Meguires Quick Detailer for the same effect. However, I do not use the same process, for I believe it's too time consuming. After the wash, I make sure the whole car is wet. Take out the clay bar and just mist over the water with the Meguires. Any spot that needs a little more, gets a little more. Run over with the clay bar. Once completed, rinse the car down really well again and dry.

Every other wash (when I do the clay bar) I also apply Meguires Gold Class paste. It does REALLY well at getting rid of the swirl marks. However, I may check out this 3M stuff this summer.

tomd
03-28-2003, 08:10 AM
Car wax test

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html
:coolman:

mdmarauder
03-28-2003, 08:30 AM
I've been using the 3M Swirl Mark Remover for years. It's great on a black car and cheap to boot. I follow with the 3M Cleaner Wax. Works for me. It was recommended to me by a friend of mine who is a body shop manager.

Bigdogjim
03-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Hey Sarge I agree with you find a good wax guy... unless we can talk the Hooters girls in Ct. next week to a wax-off in the parking lot...........
Big Dog

Kelly
03-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Can anyone give me the ordering information on the 3M Swirl Mark Remover, I have checked all of my local auto parts and have also checked with 3M on the web for the product and have come up still wanting, is a product # or web order site available. :help:

vaderv
03-28-2003, 11:12 PM
Listen up brothers and sisters. I am whats known in Ford and Lincoln Merc as a paint repair utility. I have painted numerous Ford show cars. I have never used zainos before but I am gonna give it a shot. My concern is with the "clay" bar. Your Ford, Merc paintjob consist of an e-coat layer a color coded prime layer a color layer and a clear layer. The total of these layers usually adds up to 5 to 6 mils. Do not I reapete DO NOT USE THE CLAYBAR ANY MORE THAN ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR OR YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY CLEAR LEFT OVER YOUR COLOR COAT. Clay bars amount to light duty sand paper. If logan is usin it as often as u say he will be pullin black off his car in a year to eighteen months I promise you that. Nothing in excess is a great rule of thumb here.

RF Overlord
03-29-2003, 07:08 AM
vader:

Thanks for posting that...I just received my Zaino order on Thursday and have yet to try any of it...can't do much until next weekend at the earliest, and then only if the weather cooperates, so I'm anxiously waiting the results of your testing.

I'm sure, as others have reported here, the stuff does make a beautiful finish, but I need to keep this car around for quite a few more years, and don't want to be be having expensive paint problems on an out-of-warranty car...

TAF
03-29-2003, 05:52 PM
vader,

I respect your expertise and I understand the process behind the thought. I've only used the Clay Bar once and the results are phenominal. It makes the cars surface like molton glass.

I'm not the expert, just a user, but...I don't think that the clay bar removes the clearcoat. It just lifts out impediments that have "imbedded" in the clearcoat i.e. raildust, brakedust, "bug-innereds", etc. I would never use it more than once or twice a year. I feel that is all that's needed. And, I have only used the Zaino Clay Bar with the Z-6 as a lube. I know there are other clay bars out there that perform the same process.

As well, the "key" to the Zaino process is to protect the clearcoat after using the Clay Bar with layers of the Z-2 Polish Lok.

Just didn't want anyone to get the idea they are stripping their clearcoat with the use of Clay Bar (Zaino's or any others). BTW...it's LML who's "Clay Bar Crazy" and not Logan, just for clarification.

my humble layman's opinion...for what it's worth.

1badcar
03-29-2003, 07:00 PM
I have used Zaino #5, #2 and #6 in that order (#6 Gloss enhancing spray between each coat). And was thrilled with the results. Excellent product.

VaderSS
03-30-2003, 12:06 PM
One interesting thing about that wax test.

The Zaino won, hands down, but he only applied one coat.

The finish becomes more brilliant with each coat, and 3 coats seems to be the norm on the Impala boards.

My understanding is also that the clay bar does not abrade paint. From what I've seen, it "sounds" like sandpaper, while it is lifting the embedded contamination, but as soon as it has lifted it, that sound, and the very slight friction, is gone. Usually one pass is all that is needed and the paint is clean.

DLoreanMARAUDER
04-04-2003, 07:54 PM
ever since the NY meet at Hooters the name Zaino has been in the back of my head after Rob and a few others mentioned it, but couldnt find anything on it (Mistake:looking in every auto parts store instead of here online). i finaly found their website from another post on this fourm and priced the whole set (about $170 or so) but didnt realy wanna take the chance, so i bought a whole bunch of other crap from autozone (Meguires, turtle wax, scratch x, etc.) and began testing some on various parts of the MM. after spending so much time and detail its heart breaking to see all the imperfections on the paint:alone: and then all the stone chips from big rigs and swirl marks from the dealer:po: but the worst was a 2in drip of paint on the pass. door:flamer: . anyway none of that crap worked and then it started raining 5 mins after i was done. ive tried the 3m scratch remover after going off road in my dads black suburban before, but must have done it wrong because i saw no improvement, also its abrassive isnt it? after this and other post's Im convinced and im gonna make the almost $200 investment, ZAINO HERE I COME! too bad i dont have a garage:(

This site is GREAT i look to it for advice. i think some of the guys here know more about these cars then anyone at FORD

TAF
04-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Tony...it's the best money you could spend for the paint on your car.

Be sure your $170 includes extra Z-6 which you will use the most.

MMM2003
04-22-2003, 07:11 AM
Allright, all you wax experts.
Looking for opinions here.

I got one of those electric car buffers for my birthday. Spring is finally here and got to get the MM waxed.

In the past, I have always done the wax on and off by hand. My friend swears by the buffer and claims he can do his car ('stang) complete (one layer Zymol) in one hour.

I'm concenered about the risk of getting swirl marks easier with the electric buffer. What do you guys use? Good old hand-job or electric buffer (get your mind out off the gutter, I'm talking car-waxing here).

I tried the electric buffer on my wifes black Honda and wasn't all that impressed. Opinions?! Suggestions?!

Thanks for your input.

WolfeBros
04-22-2003, 07:44 AM
If you aren't experienced with that buffer you can do more damage with swirl marks then you can get out in awhile. Especially on a black finish. A tip.....let the weight of the buffer do all the work. Do not press it into the finish. Zymol is a good product. If you are using Zaino (which many on here are using and my recommendation) ......I would hand polish it. It takes very little effort.

TAF
04-22-2003, 07:50 AM
^^^What Wolfe said^^^

Zaino by hand is EASY!
Take the gift back and turn it in for an electric shaver...
a back scratcher...
something for the wife...

RF Overlord
04-22-2003, 07:51 AM
MMM:

I'm not a wax expert either, and like you, I'm more concerned with doing damage by improper use of the buffer...it may be more trouble, but I'm going to do my first Zaino application by hand.

If the DAMN weather will ever cooperate...supposed to rain or be crappy all weekend AGAIN!

RF Overlord
04-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by TAF
[BTake the gift back and turn it in for an electric shaver...
a back scratcher...
something for the wife... [/B]

What's that, TAF? Get an electric back shaver for the wife?

tomd
04-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by TAF
^^^What Wolfe said^^^

Zaino by hand is EASY!
Take the gift back and turn it in for an electric shaver...
a back scratcher...
something for the wife...

Since we are talking “Zaino Wax” here and I got mine 2 weeks ago ($90.00!) and just about ready to apply it to Marauder.

THE QUESTION IS
Do you guys get the cotton applicator damp so it doesn't suck up all the wax???
:help: :help: :help: :help:

TAF
04-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Tom,

Spray it with a little Z-6 to get it damp.

TAF
04-22-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
What's that, TAF? Get an electric back shaver for the wife?

You are the KING of "out-of-context" remarks....

tomd
04-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by TAF
Tom,

Spray it with a little Z-6 to get it damp.

Thanks, I'll do that!

LincMercLover
04-22-2003, 10:48 AM
I use my buffer for wax off purposes only. Use an 100% terry cloth bonnet and let the buffer do the work. Any wax that doesn't come out with the buffer, I use a yellow 3M, what I call "super soft cloth" to remove the rest after I dust the wax powder off the car(CA Car Duster). After all that, I finish up with a soft wool bonnet for a final light buff, to even everything out.

jgc61sr2002
04-22-2003, 11:06 AM
I prefer to do it the old fashion way to apply and remove wax by hand. John:)

ChuckB
04-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Hey Guys,

don't want to bash the Zaino products because it seems like a good product or restart the great wax debate. But wanted to share a product the dealer detail guy turned me on to for dark and black cars. the stuff is called velocity glaze (C1301) and is from P & S Sales - search for it on the web or PM for phone#.

This stuff is awsome!!! (yes it deserves 3 !'s) - i did it on my MM and my 87 original black paint 4runner. the Toyota i don't think has looked this good for 10 years easily - it's black and shiny again. Easy on easier off - it literally deepened the MM black made the swirl marks MUCH less notible and gave just just an incredible shine in less than 1 hr - including wash.

the price is very very reasonable when compared to other top shelf products. i'm not affiliated with it at all - just passing a good product along.

MMM2003
04-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks for everybodys feedback on the electric buffer/hand on&off waxing.

I got some buffing bonnets. Will try it on bumpers and other "swirl/scratch" areas. Noticed a lot of scratches around gas tank. Must be from the the dangling gas cap, when filling her up.

Maybe I'll do one coat by hand and a second with buffer.

tomd
04-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ChuckB
Hey Guys,

don't want to bash the Zaino products because it seems like a good product or restart the great wax debate. But wanted to share a product the dealer detail guy turned me on to for dark and black cars. the stuff is called velocity glaze (C1301) and is from P & S Sales - search for it on the web or PM for phone#.

This stuff is awsome!!! (yes it deserves 3 !'s) - i did it on my MM and my 87 original black paint 4runner. the Toyota i don't think has looked this good for 10 years easily - it's black and shiny again. Easy on easier off - it literally deepened the MM black made the swirl marks MUCH less notible and gave just just an incredible shine in less than 1 hr - including wash.

the price is very very reasonable when compared to other top shelf products. i'm not affiliated with it at all - just passing a good product along.

http://www.pssales.com/about.html

I found haven't read anything yet. :coolman:

tomd
04-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Where Do Swirl Marks Come From and How can I tell If I have removed them?

Swirls are created when using a spin/rotary polisher to remove sanding marks, oxidation, paint defects or scratches from the paint. The swirls are put into the paint by abrasive particles in compounds and/or the surface of the buffing pad.
The amount of swirls left behind after compounding is based upon the size and hardness of the abrasive particle, the type of buffing pad and the ability of the detailer.
The most efficient way to tell if all of the swirls are gone is to limit the amount you produce. First, compound if only necessary. Products such as Smart Compound, Smart Polish and Ultra Coat Compound can buff out scratches and partial imperfections without using an aggressive heavy duty compound.
If you have to use a heavy duty compound, try buffing with a foam pad first, and a conventional pad can be used as a last resort.
When compounding, make sure you buff long enough to
complete the process. Many times, people rush and don't buff for long enough. Clearcut II or Heavy Duty Smart Compound, for example, will actually polish out their own swirls. The above rules apply to the polishing process as well.

From P & S

Kelly
04-26-2003, 07:24 PM
The Black wax products, mine was turtle Wax help to hide the little rock chips very well, used only on the chipped areas though.

schuvwj
04-29-2003, 02:18 PM
I have an older brother who is a Corvette nut and he says the best wax he has ever used in made by IBIZ Inc. It is the official wax of the Corvette club of America which is sold at the website below. It has been internationally recognized as the best wax in the world. I have used it on my MM and does an outstanding job!

http://www.ibiz-inc.com/

Have a Great Day!

MMM2003
05-04-2003, 08:37 AM
The results are in:

After debatting if I should use the electric buffer or not. I decided not to use.
For those of you who haven't waxed their car yet, here is a little breakdown of what I did and used.

After trying Zymoel and Maguire's#7, I decided to got with the Maguire's#7. It goes on and polishes up better in my opinion. The biggest advantage to me is, that it doesn't leave that white powder residue after polishing.

I washed the car twice (Armor All car wash concentrate) and used "The Absorber" to dry it.
I used some simple "applicator" pads (4) to apply the wax and some 100% cotton supersoft polishing cloth (3).

The exhaust tips were polished with "Mothers chrome polish" (Thanks LML, good tip).

It took me a good 3 hours to finish. The results are just great. Looks like the day I got it, no wait, it looks better !

I'm beginning to see some "spider-web" scratches, even after the waxing. I'll probably will have to do a "Zaino treatment" at some point.

The only thing I had problems with, were those small "pits" in the paint. I knew they were there (others have reported this before), but I didn't know how many, until I started polishing.

The polishing cloth had a tendency to get caught on them. I found at least 10-15 all over my car.

Nothing I can do about it now. Cheap a$$ paint job !

jokers impala s
05-20-2003, 03:51 AM
Hey guys there is so much info on Zaino at www.impalassforum.com its not even funny, you know the Impala crowd swears by the stuff and if you see Kevin Overall who is also a Zaino Distributor and will probally hook you guys up with a Group Purchase or a discount for individuals who buy from him, thatd be something youd need to talk to him about, just a thought, Oh and to top it off you dont get the white residue if u miss some zaino like you would with regualr wax, Zaino is worth every penny