PDA

View Full Version : I love my ProCharger

Mike M
08-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Well I finally got to drive my F.I.T. ProCharger Marauder for the first time last week here in sunny Arizona (110 deg) and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!
Driving it in town you would never know there was a supercharger under the hood except for the evil whistle at idle.
Floor the car and hang on, also the tune has my 2nd gear shift so hard and crisp that it rivals my ProStreet Camaro's shift.
I will be going out to Speed World next week and put some passes on it.

Thanks Greg for a great product at a great price!!!!!!

DEFYANT
08-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Congrats!

Another sinister S/C'd Marauder hits the street!

Enjoy that "warped" drive.

HwyCruiser
08-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Awesome! :beer:

Good to finally hear you got your baby back (with a new whistle) and that she's doing fine! The Florida Prochargers fight some pretty tough heat and are running strong. KC's been in the 90-100's it seems forever now and so humid it'll bring you to your knees and mine doesn't sweat it either.

From what I understand, the tune is set up to pull timing when the system starts to get heat soaked, IAT (most likely) or ECT (least likely), so she'll let you know when she starts to get hot... which takes continuous thrashings on the street to get to that point. Just drop back and cruise for a couple of blocks to let the temperature come back down to normal.

The real fun happens when the outside temperatures start to fall!

tmac1337
10-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Mike, have you made it out to the track yet?

Canadasvt
10-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Does anyone know if driving in the winter with all the salt and sand effect the Procharger?:help:

tmac1337
10-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know if driving in the winter with all the salt and sand effect the Procharger?:help:

The intercooler can be mounted either behind the grill or underneath, your choice. The intercooler is alluminum. Tubes are powdercoated. Sand is no concern as the system is closed, just hose it down whenever you would wash, same for salt on any other part of the car.

Mike M
10-20-2005, 10:39 AM

Just the thought of snow, road sand and salt makes mw sick. It's one of the main reasons I left NJ.

MarauderTJA
10-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Well I finally got to drive my F.I.T. ProCharger Marauder for the first time last week here in sunny Arizona (110 deg) and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!
Driving it in town you would never know there was a supercharger under the hood except for the evil whistle at idle.
Floor the car and hang on, also the tune has my 2nd gear shift so hard and crisp that it rivals my ProStreet Camaro's shift.
I will be going out to Speed World next week and put some passes on it.

Thanks Greg for a great product at a great price!!!!!!

Congrats MIke! Glad to hear you love your new Procharger:D Welcome to the S/C's MM world. As Tim says, "the few, the proud, the Prochargers."

Eric91Z
10-20-2005, 04:12 PM
I don't remember if this had been covered before or not, but when the intercooler is mounted behind the grill, is there any cooling issues with the radiator and keeping the motor itself cool?

I have always liked the ProCharger product. When we finally get a boat some day it will get a ProCharger and I would love to have an A&A Procharger setup on a C5 Corvette.

Just wondering if there is any effect with that setup. We can get plenty hot here in Iowa in the middle of summer. Also, any heatsoak between the radiator and intercooler when it is mounted there?

tmac1337
10-20-2005, 04:29 PM
I don't remember if this had been covered before or not, but when the intercooler is mounted behind the grill, is there any cooling issues with the radiator and keeping the motor itself cool?

The best location as tested was the lowered mount. I personally have a transmission cooler mounted behind the grill, the most common location. If that is not a problem, I cannot see how the intercooler would be as it's temps are much lower than a transmission cooler.

Eric91Z
10-20-2005, 04:40 PM
The best location as tested was the lowered mount. I personally have a transmission cooler mounted behind the grill, the most common location. If that is not a problem, I cannot see how the intercooler would be as it's temps are much lower than a transmission cooler.

My biggest concern is that the Marauder is my daily driver and wouldn't want to use it as a snow scoop in the winter. One plus is KC is much closer to me than Detroit for the Trilogy (no, not starting any SC wars - this is the F.I.T. forum and you guys are offering another great product).

tmac1337
10-20-2005, 05:04 PM
My biggest concern is that the Marauder is my daily driver and wouldn't want to use it as a snow scoop in the winter. One plus is KC is much closer to me than Detroit for the Trilogy (no, not starting any SC wars - this is the F.I.T. forum and you guys are offering another great product).

Behind the grill installation would be for you then. For that installation a 360 pulley is included. Thats a common place for the intercooler as well anyway.

Don't forget the cool video JD found:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22001

Eric91Z
10-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Behind the grill installation would be for you then. For that installation a 360 pulley is included. Thats a common place for the intercooler as well anyway.

http://www.procharger.com/video/Ste...isBroadband.wmv

What is the 360 pulley?

Downloading the video now.

HwyCruiser
10-20-2005, 05:30 PM

The Big Boss Applesauce (Mike Mielnicki) dug that one up. I wonder how many times they said Procharger in that vid? Gotta love those shameless promotional plugs. :D

tmac1337
10-20-2005, 05:49 PM
What is the 360 pulley?

The 360 pully is a little smaller and will give you 3 more PSI to account for the increased bends in the tubing to mount the intercooler behind the grill. MarauderTJA and others have the 360 pulley even though they have the cooler mounted below, they must have a few bends between the ears and need more boost :D

tmac1337
10-20-2005, 05:50 PM
The Big Boss Applesauce (Mike Mielnicki) dug that one up. I wonder how many times they said Procharger in that vid? Gotta love those shameless promotional plugs. :D

WHAT! Those were promotional plugs? Noone does that! :rolleyes:

HwyCruiser
10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
What is the 360 pulley?

What Tim said.

The smaller the pulley, the more boost. On the Procharger P1-SC head unit the 360 pulley makes about 12-13 psi. I'm running the 370 which makes 9-10 psi of boost. The spread in the boost is generally determined on the temperature outside (denser air = more boost).

Both Tim and I are around 450 rwhp at 6k rpm with the 370 pulley and the more aggressive Diablo tune. The 360 guys are generally running a less aggressive tune because of the additional boost to keep the stock motor together. I think Tom saw the other side of 500 rwhp on his before having the tune mellowed out a bit for the sake of the drivetrain. The kit was designed around the 370 pulley and going with a smaller pulley generally requires an extender for the 90mm MAF, larger injectors and a different fuel pump to keep up.

Since the weather has cooled I can't keep the rear end planted at anything above mild acceleration. The drag radials are just too hard on the cool roads. When I can get around to it I'm going to have Mike from F.I.T. relocate the intercooler to behind the grill and put on a 380 pulley for use until mid-spring because of the crappy winter gas we get around here. I'm aiming for the neighborhood of 6-7 psi just to pacify the need for speed over the winter.

tmac1337
10-20-2005, 06:07 PM
I've been praying for cool air, and all I got was Hurricane Wilma.

F :( :( K ME!

Eric91Z
10-20-2005, 06:17 PM
What would be the recommendation for the 360 pulley for? I definitely want to keep the motor together as long as possible before planning a rebuild. Then I will build it for big horsepower.

How much horsepower is the P1-SC rated for?

Mike M
10-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Hey...I found it not JD! :-(

HwyCruiser
10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
What would be the recommendation for the 360 pulley for? I definitely want to keep the motor together as long as possible before planning a rebuild. Then I will build it for big horsepower.

825 hp @ 30 psi

http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml

They have a pretty good site and offers a lot of technical info on their products.

I don't know how practical 850 hp would be on the P1-SC though because of the tiny pulley you'd have to run and the havoc it would put on the belt. You'd probably be better off upgrading the head unit down the line (trading it in) when you put in a built motor.

tmac1337
10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
What would be the recommendation for the 360 pulley for?

If the cooler is placed behind the grill there are more elbos in the tubing as Procharger has offset inlet/outlet openings on the cooler to make sure that the air goes through all the cells and gets cooled instead of just blowing through the bottom if it was same side inlet/outlet. More elbos = more obstruction off the airflow so if you use a 360 pulley there is a little more boost.

I personally don't see the need for it. With a 370 pulley the car will still make at least 450 RWHP. More than enough. Buyers choice.

HwyCruiser
10-20-2005, 10:39 PM
I think locating the 2-core intercooler behind the grill with a 370 blower pulley would be a good idea for anyone wanting to go stealth or concerned about clearance. I'm not planning on plowing the driveway with the Marauder either.

I wouldn't think that going to a 360 pulley just to overcome the minor additional pressure drop is really necessary though. Maybe one of our "behind the grill" guys can chime in here.

Although from what I understand the 3-core Procharger intercooler won't fit behind the grill due to the additional width, so scoop mounting may be the only way to go for that option.

snowbird
10-21-2005, 03:29 AM
Hi,

For the ones wandering about heat when going behind the grille, there is enough cooling power with the stock rad that the intercooler - radiator - AC condenser sandwich is not an overheating issue for normat strret usage and some room to spare. My engine temp gauge stays at the same location then when i was NA.

I ordered Greg an alternate pulley (380) for my winter setup and should get it any day soon. I'll then report what will be the pressure loss going with a bigger pulley. IMO, there is a need for a safer setup because of cheap winter gas, effect of colder and denser air and the fact that the tires will call it quit anyway traction wise.

MarauderTJA
10-21-2005, 05:17 AM

Unless your looking for extreme horsepower, the 370 pulley is really all you need. I have a 360 pulley makng 12 lbs boost with the under front air dam air scoop. I had to move up to 60 lb injectors and a MAfia m ass air extender as well as dual Cobra fuel pump. I had a high pull of 515 RWHP and 430 Ft lbs torque, It was de-tuned to around 475 RWHP to keep everythng safe. My Diablosport tune pulls timing in hot weather to keep eveything safe. I too am not ready to build a forged motor yet. I have a really safe tune, but keep in mind my car was on the dyno for more than 10 hours of tuning by one of the best in the business, Scott Beer. I like extreme performance cars. Not for everyone though. It is all in your preferences.

Tom, Cape Coral, Florida

Eric91Z
10-21-2005, 05:21 AM
Unless your looking for extreme horsepower, the 370 pulley is really all you need. I have a 360 pulley makng 12 lbs boost with the under front air dam air scoop. I had to move up to 60 lb injectors and a MAfia m ass air extender as well as dual Cobra fuel pump. I had a high pull of 515 RWHP and 430 Ft lbs torque, It was de-tuned to around 475 RWHP to keep everythng safe. My Diablosport tune pulls timing in hot weather to keep eveything safe. I too am not ready to build a forged motor yet. I have a really safe tune, but keep in mind my car was on the dyno for more than 10 hours of tuning by one of the best in the business, Scott Beer. I like extreme performance cars. Not for everyone though. It is all in your preferences.

Tom, Cape Coral, Florida

And if one already has a tuner (I have the XCal2) is there a credit towards the purchase price?

maraudernkc
10-21-2005, 05:45 AM
Eric91Z, If you send in your tuner, I will give you a credit if you buy our kit. When factoring your boost you must remember that if you have stock exhaust that you boost levels will run about 1 PSI higher than if you have cobra exhaust manifolds and an x pipe.

If you go with behind the grille Intercooling mounting (which I highly reccomend if you do winter driving) you only need to one 1 more PSI to over the stealth Location.

We will install your kit for you for $500.00 here in Kansas City.

Good luck in whatever choice you go with.

Thanks, Greg

And if one already has a tuner (I have the XCal2) is there a credit towards the purchase price?

Eric91Z
10-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Eric91Z, If you send in your tuner, I will give you a credit if you buy our kit. When factoring your boost you must remember that if you have stock exhaust that you boost levels will run about 1 PSI higher than if you have cobra exhaust manifolds and an x pipe.

If you go with behind the grille Intercooling mounting (which I highly reccomend if you do winter driving) you only need to one 1 more PSI to over the stealth Location.

We will install your kit for you for $500.00 here in Kansas City.

Good luck in whatever choice you go with.

Thanks, Greg

Thanks for the followup Greg. Will you just re-tune using my tuner or will it get replaced with the Diablo?

I do plan on going with Kook's headers, cats, etc before the S/C ever goes on. And $500 for an install and only being 3 hours away is a nice plus, too.

I will keep it all in mind and I really apprecaite all the input.

NAVCHAP
10-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Drove TMAC's car a couple of nights ago. Superb tune and amazing performance. Great car! -kjs-

maraudernkc
10-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Eric91Z,We will give you a new Diablo handheld tuner.

Thanks for the followup Greg. Will you just re-tune using my tuner or will it get replaced with the Diablo?

I do plan on going with Kook's headers, cats, etc before the S/C ever goes on. And $500 for an install and only being 3 hours away is a nice plus, too.

I will keep it all in mind and I really apprecaite all the input.

tmac1337
10-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Eric91Z,We will give you a new Diablo handheld tuner.

Have a couple new tunes that Rock too! If it's cool where you are you can see 15-16 degrees timing WOT. If it's hot the tune pulls timing, in 95 degree heat I saw 11 degrees and am now waiting for the weather to cool.

Here is my TOTALLY SHAMELESS PICTURE PLUG!

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/intake1.jpg

Rider90
10-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Man that PROCHARGER is sweet!