PDA

View Full Version : Vender policy sucks! Sorry Logan, had to say it.(part two)

MadMav
03-18-2003, 01:39 AM
I haven't posted on here in a while, but check almost daily. Got to keep an eye on the competition you know. This forum is getting bigger, and that is good. I know, I know. It is not my forum. I never will be. But the Vender policy sucks.

""What are the rules for vendors? Are they allowed on the message boards?

MercuryMarauder.net defines a vendor as any company or individual that sells, markets, promotes, manufactures or distributes any products or services for the purpose of generating a profit, regardless of the product or service's cost or profit margins."""

According to the rules, the Marketplace is in violation for allowing people to sell parts and cars. It only seems to come into play when something simply comes close to a contributing Vendors product. You are limiting the competition and constricting the fun for future MM owners. This is not ment as a flame, or to cause a flame war, just trying to help out a good forum to become better. I had wanted to do a poll, but my first posts seems to have not worked.:(
I just want bring up this controversial topic that I know quite a few disagree with, but have nowhere else to go. Logan, this is not a buisness, it is a gathering place for like-minded car guys to come and discuss the things and topics they like. I just want to see it end up that way.

Maverick

P.S. It would be easy for Logan to make sure I never get on this site again because of my location, but I hope he desides not to.

Slowpoke
03-18-2003, 06:31 AM
i can't speak for Logan, but since I 'sell' stuff here; these are MY thoughts....

Logan spent his own money to start this forum; it is NOT a democracy. He ets the final word on what goes on. period. no discussion.

He has costs to run this board in addition to the time he spends supporting users. He has webhosting costs; costs of the software that powers the forums, etc. He needs to recoup these costs and in order to do that he needs paid venders, like Dennis, Sean, and Kenny. All he is looking to do is to make sure that these paying vendor don't get the rug pulled from under them by someone seeking to compete with these paying vendors.

for example, if i set up a repair shop to build chips or bolt-on performance arts and began to promote myself on the forum, he would shut me down because i would be competing directly with the people sho support him finamcially. very logical and I agree 100%

before i sold the first pador pen, i contacted Logan to make sure it was OK - he said 'yes'... why? because my pens/ads do not compete with Dennis or Sean.

The parts for sale forums do not compete with supporting vendors because these are for things not sold by supporting vendors.

I am sure Logan will add to the discussion here....

Logan
03-18-2003, 06:47 AM
Individuals are allowed to post personal, not commercial, classified ads. For instance, an individual selling his marauder or other automotive related parts is fine. A business coming in and offering a group buy or discounts on their parts is not cool.

The vendor policy is meant to restrict the activity of vendors, not the individual member.

You should've quoted this too:

The bottom line is likely this - if you are here to simply take advantage of the MercuryMarauder Community to further your financial goals and you do not wish to give something back to the operator of the site, you are likely not welcome here. If you are here as a Mercury Marauder enthusiast, you are more than welcome.

Ultimately, that's the bottom line.

Like Slowpoke eluded to, this site has some very real and expensive expenses, which grow every month due to the increasing popularity.

People are free to disagree with me so long as it's civil, which is why this thread hasn't been flushed down the toilet.

All that being said, the vendor policy will not be changing. It's what keeps this site in the black.

MadMav
03-18-2003, 04:35 PM
I get what your saying, and I see why you are saying it, but there are other ways to go about it. Better ways to go about it. Many, I mean many forums out there do not feel the need to inhibit venders posting. There are other ways to stay in the black Logan.

For a quick example, the Impalassforum.com. It is paid for mostly by donations and paying vendors. Guess what, there is still a Group Purchase/Vendor section. Thats right, there are no complaints when other "competing" vendors post their products. Z28camaro.com, LS1.com, Supraforums, most if not all of the Ford and SVT forums run this way too.

What if someone on this forum, wanted to program for the members of this board on the side. A few dollars to freind of the forum and you got a simple tune. A few more people later and he gets more experiance. A year down the road he is the best programmer out there. He consitantly produces better power and unique feature adjustments to the cars happenings. He just can't do it without paying you for permission. There are many examples I can throw out there, but I hope you see my point.

The B-body community, and others, are better off having ran without this forums advancement stifling way. Sorry if I have offended anyone, for it is not meant to do that. Just take it as my endless rambling for the advancement of your sport.:D

Thanks,
Mav

martyo
03-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Thanks MadMerv for your input but this is NOT a democcracy and we don't mind. We like the way Logan keeps house. We are guests but we are made to feel like family and friends.

LincMercLover
03-18-2003, 04:46 PM
LOL, if ya haven't figured it out by now, Logan OWNS this site, and he can do whatever he may well please. Pretty simple concept. I'm down with it! :pimp:

Logan
03-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Madmav, you're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I can just as easily ramble off sites that DO restrict vendor activities (www.f150online.com for example).

I see your point, and understand there are other ways to stay in the black, but honestly don't care. This model continues to net the site enough income to operate and there's no interest in making a profit, so I see no reason to change anything.

The only reason I ever get complaints about the vendor policy is ultimately if the one complaining is one of the vendors or representative of a vendor who wants to use my site to line their pockets without paying for the privilege. In that case, I've no use for them anyway.

Discussion ended. Further threads on the topic will be removed.