View Full Version : Pep Boys anyone?

JAL
03-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Read this, then tell me how you feel...

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/business/3_15_03reservist.html

Jeff

LincMercLover
03-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Sounds pretty cut and dry to me. It's against the law, so he has every right to sue.

Gotta love America! Can sue for ANYTHING! :up:

RF Overlord
03-18-2003, 04:09 PM
PLEASE don't get me going about corporate responsibility, or more correctly, the LACK of it. All major corporations, and many smaller ones are driven by one thing, and one thing only: satisfying Wall Street. Nothing else counts. They will lie, cheat, steal, and trash loyal employees to add 2 cents to their bottom line. Can you spell Enron? WorldCom? Adelphia? K-Mart? and now Pep Boys?

If the above referenced article is true, I will NEVER shop in a Pep Boys.

Sorry, this post is probably against Logan's rules, but I had to say it...

martyo
03-18-2003, 04:13 PM
I guess I will be returning the Maguire's wax i bought at Pep Boysand buying the Zaino's after all.

vaderv
03-18-2003, 04:25 PM
I hope they are happy. If this is true its pure d bs. They outta do something really drastically painfull to the person or persons who fired that manager. I would suggest a letter or e-mail written to pep-boys corp as a sort of "warning shot". This situation if true may just be the result of stupidity on some district managers part and not company policy. If it is found to be true and company policy then a boycott would be called for.

JAL
03-18-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord

Hey RF, it's true alright. Pep Boys already has a statement on their website. It must have been a local manager not knowing federal laws that fired him.

Jeff

TAF
03-18-2003, 04:30 PM

Right On...Funk Brother!!!

Logan
03-18-2003, 05:08 PM
That's ridiculous... This type of story continues to amaze me that this stuff actually happens to folks giving a good chunk of their life to serve the country...

gja
03-18-2003, 05:27 PM
I am f-in finished buying ANYTHING from them. That's more than I can stand. Pepboys is off-limits as far as I am concerned. They had an obligation, both legal and MORAL, to not allow this to happen. I am sick to death of corporate entities raping people of their dignity and livelihoods just to make their numbers. RF knows where I come from on this. It is CRIMINAL, yet nobody will get more than a slap on the wrist for it, and a family is in dire straits because of it.

MMpridenjoy
03-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Sue those b@stards!!:po:

RF Overlord
03-18-2003, 05:54 PM
It gets even better...this is part of what is posted on their web site:

"...this employee's termination, on June 27, 2002, was unrelated to his military reserve status and solely related to other factors dating back to the summer of 2001."

OK, so he gets activated and they dredge up ***** from a YEAR before to justify firing him?!...nice.

And check out the enormous disclaimer at the bottom of the same page their press release is on...it's longer than the release...!

http://www.pepboys.com/about/media/company_pr/pr_031803.html

RCSignals
03-18-2003, 06:19 PM
I can't shop at PeP Boys. They opened a huge new store here a while back, then closed it a few months later.
Beautiful new building just sitting there empty
With all those garage bays it'd make a great MercuryMarauder Club house :lol"

RCSignals
03-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by martyo
I guess I will be returning the Maguire's wax i bought at Pep Boysand buying the Zaino's after all.

Marty buy your Meguires direct. PepBoys aside, they make a great product

RF Overlord
03-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
They opened a huge new store here a while back, then closed it a few months later.
Beautiful new building just sitting there empty

Instead of firing the poor guy who got called up, perhaps they should have fired the BRAINIAC responsible for ^^^THAT^^^ fiasco...I'd be willing to bet he/she still works there, bringing home a lot more money than the other guy ever did...

RF Overlord
03-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Sorry.

I ASKED you not to get me going on this subject, now do you see why?

I'm done.

JohnnyB
03-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Would you bring your MM to PepBoys for an oil change........................ ......NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

merc406
03-18-2003, 06:56 PM
I use to buy from them, but,, NO MORE!!

CRUZTAKER
03-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Logan
........ this stuff actually happens to folks giving a good chunk of their life to serve the country... :confused:

Sounds fishy. One would think the corp. offices of pepboys (a multi-million dollar co.) would be knowledgable of U.S. laws regarding military service and were likely unaware of what a local manager did in his own right.

With out court transcripts, none of us know who did what. Maybe this guys boss WAS an ********* and screwed over him and his family unjustly. Maybe the employee DID have a poor track record as a auto-parts salesman.

As far as news paper articles from little town papers are concerned, .........grain of salt.

Don't boycott Pepboys just on here say.

Service man or not, if my performance on the job was less than acceptable, I need to go. Fortunately, my employer honors, and even endorses my military service. They give full pay in addition to being called, including military pay. Besides, I am honest and dependable, they have no reason to fire me.

Lay me off at any givin moment, but not fire me:P

prchrman
03-19-2003, 05:55 AM
Don't :flamer: me but this situation may not be as clear as it first seems...someone down the chain could have messed up and it is up to PBs to rectify the situation if Mr. Balodis was released for serving his country...if he was wronged and PBs does not support him they deserve what they get...if PBs did Mr. Balodis wrong he will have a very nice new house and several new cars when the labor board and our judicial system gets through with this one...but there are 2 sides to every story...always...someone keep us informed on this because I may change my shopping habits...regardless of how cars like us or people love us...