PDA

View Full Version : BIR October 15-16

jdando
09-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Hey guys!

:banana2:

Anyone else up for drive up north?

http://www.northstarbmw.org/drivingschools.aspx?ns=Forms

There are spaces available for the advanced driving school. I am about 80% certain I will be there. If you do not want to run, come up and offer me moral support and help changing brake pads:eek:

I wonder how fast the luxo-barge will go on the front straight?
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BIR_track_map2.jpg

jeremy

I Tried
09-01-2005, 08:21 AM
If I didnt have plans that weekend for my 8th wedding anaversary, I would so be in on that. Jermey did you sell your programer?

grampaws
09-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Great Idea! just to far for Me!!:cool:

MNMarauder
09-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Wow Awesome Posting Well In Advance. Hope There Isn't Snow On The Ground Yet.

jdando
09-17-2005, 11:23 AM
:( I "failed" tech inspection :(

My rear tires are down to the wear bars. I wonder how that happened??

I think I need to call our friends at Tire Rack.:rolleyes:

I also need to do a brake fluid flush/change.

Met most of the participants, seems like a good group. I had the only North American car, felt like a fish out of water. Not a chance I will be able to hang with these guys on the corners, but I will chase them down on the straight!!

Stay tuned!

jeremy

HAULNSS
09-17-2005, 08:06 PM
I'd love to go, but I also have tire issues :depress: and plan on hitting SEMA again :coolman: this year.

I highly recommend this to everyone. BIR is a very fast track, with the longest straight in NA, I think.

If you have hi speed download, you can take a few laps with me in the Impala. It is like a virtual tour of the track!

The MN F-body club has hosted several events at BIR and I will post the links to some videos from last year. (Too bad I didn't have the Wilwoods on, though!)

My favorite video. 34.2 mb and 7:25 long! It has great narration, speedo shots and a nice spanking of an NSX. It is the one labeled "04PDE-Impala.WMV "

MN F-body BIR videos (http://www.mnfbody.com/pde_04/media/movies/)

The Impala and Z28 (actually the 2003 event) are my cars. The SS is a club members Camaro.

Enjoy and have fun! Take pics and vids for those of us who can't make it. :(

Randy

jdando
10-14-2005, 06:59 PM
WOO-WOO :banana:

I am in Brainerd and all set for school Driving School tomorrow! Hopefully I will do us MM's proud. I am way out of my comfort zone, I am here with the BMW club. Nice folks but 800-2000 lb lighter than me.

With any luck I will have someone take some video and/or pictures. Think good thoughts for my brake pads and right front tire!

jeremy

GarageMahal
10-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Awesome! Wish I could join you. I am sure you will surprise more that few folks on the track.

jta

jdando
10-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey Cats and Kittens;

I survived Day 1 with no major issues. I am learning tons :D

I had about 100 track miles, got about 8 miles to the galloon and scared the poop out of me. My instructor is great, very tolerant of my lack of skills.

I have kept the car going straight and even got to pass a few people. I think the car has a lot more in it, I just have to learn how to get it out of it. The front straight is nice, I get a chance to relax and reel in all the guys that can make their cars turn. I glanced at the speedo and it was 136. All was smooth and relatively quiet. I actually have not spent more than a second or two at full throttle! Still have lots of rubber on the tires, so we will see what tomorrow brings.

jeremy

PS I have a lot more respect for race car drivers now! This is hard work

VIKINGMM
10-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey Cats and Kittens;

I survived Day 1 with no major issues. I am learning tons :D

Some off us learned more than others today.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT4245a.jpg

Not sure how you explain this to the mrs. It appears he had a suspension failure and spun, went off track and then rolled at a low speed. Driver and instructor are fine. I think the car just became a dedicated track car :(

I had about 100 track miles, got about 8 miles to the galloon and scared the poop out of me. My instructor is great, very tolerant of my lack of skill.

I have kept the car going straight and even got to pass a few people. I think the car has a lot more in it, I just have to learn how to get it out of it. The front straight is nice, I get a chance to relax and reel in all the guys that can make their cars turn. I glanced at the speedo and it was 136. All was smooth and relatively quiet. I actually have not spent more than a second or two at full throttle! Still have lots of rubber on the tires, so we will see what tomorrow brings.

jeremy

PS I have a lot more respect for race car drivers now! This is hard work

Please let us know how day 2 went. Sounds like a blast.

Good Luck and keep all 4 on the ground.

jdando
10-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Day II

We had four track sessions schedule and I wanted to make the most of them!

Session 1 Highlights
Had the TC off and worked on hitting my turn in and apex. Oh sh$%t moment of the session was when a large deer (10 point buck) came bounding out of the woods towards me.:eek: Luckily he got scared of my black out grill and turned away. Needless to say I missed my apex and turn in/out for the next two corners.

Session 2 Highlights
Had the TC off and worked on hitting my turn in and apex. :D moment of the session. Worked on getting the power down coming out of the corners. Proceeded to smoke the tires halfway down the 3-4 straight. I am sure the corner workers were amused. My driving instructor said "don't do that again".

Session 3 Highlight
Working on being smooth. Hit my apexes, turn ins and turn outs I am driving!! Coming out of turn 9 and a quick check of the gauges and my oil pressure is reading zero!!!:eek:!!! I pull off ASAP and try to figure out what is going on. No bizzare noises, temp okay, no dummy light, just the gauge reading zero. I limp to the pits and try to figure out what is going on. Plenty of oil in the car, no loose wires, WTF? Everyone seems to agree on a dead sender, so I put tape on the gauge (I can not bear to see it reading zero).

Session 4
Goal was to be safe, it was getting late in the weekend and that is when mistakes happen.
Had a good smooth run, got some rythmn going and was smooth, I was sad to see the checkered flag come out.

Overall

I learned a ton. Had a good, safe experience. I am not sure I found the limitations of the car, I think I found the limitations of the brakes.

I may have warped my rotors and there is a shudder when the torque converter locks up now (hopefully just a fuild change will fix that). I guess that is part of the cost of track time. I still have lots of rubber left and no dents from the cones. If I get serious about tracking the car I will get different brake pads and track tires/wheels.

jeremy

wesman
10-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Way to go Jeremy, sounds like you had a blast. :D

When your instructor says stuff like that its hiliarous. the BMW boys will be talking about you around their camp fire for a while! :P :beer:

HAULNSS
10-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Pics? :drool: Videos? :drool:

Words don't describe the fun :up: , do they? :banana2: :D

Hopefully, the car troubles are nothing serious. :cool4:

Randy

seabreeze
10-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Minnesota Marauders,

Reading your stuff about BIR brought back memories of when they first put the track in (late 1960's I think). I grew up in Mpls, but my folks had a cottage on a little outcrop of the Mississippi called Rice Lake just east of Brainerd. We used to go up on the weekends and holidays for some R&R. I think the city of Brainerd extends out to my folks place these days.

When the track was active, you could hear the internal combustion engines putting out prodigious horsepower for miles across the lakes up there, and I remember while standing on the dock or out casting for bass & walleye how much I wanted to see the races! Great to read about your track time.

JDANDO, the buck story just about made me run to the bathroom, I was laughing so hard. I swear, the only thing that shakes you up more at speed might be a moose or bear.

Anyway, all the best. Keep the deer off the hood, and keep the rubber side of your MM down!

jdando
10-31-2005, 04:06 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/dsc03251.jpg

Notice how much brake dust is on the front wheels:eek:

I ended up going through 80% of my front pads.

jeremy

wesman
11-01-2005, 08:02 AM
where are you on the track map there Jeremy?

jdando
11-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Wes;

I am at the turn in to corner 9.

This corner has the "bridge" at the turn out. This is a corner you need to get correct since the bridge foundation does not give you much run-off room.:eek:

jeremy