PDA

View Full Version : My car's shifting weird, I think...

Sully008
09-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Hey everyone,

I don't know if this is a problem or not. I just installed the 4.10 gears a while ago and had to reflash the ECU. Long story short, I thought I reflashed incorrectly, so I sent Lidio my tuner to make sure I didn't screw anything up. He reloaded the tunes and sent them back.

Now here's where it gets weird. With Lidio's 3.55 tune, the shifts were firm, even at part throttle. At WOT, the 1-2 shift slammed with authority. With the 4.10 tune, I can break the tires loose from the get go and at the 1-2 shift. But at part throttle, the shifting feels soft. It feels like the car "drops" into gear, and sometimes it short shifts the 2-3. The last time I felt shifting like this was in my '02 Taurus.

I don't think it's a problem with the tune, since the 3.55 tune was awesome, and Lidio reloaded the 4.10 tunes. The car only has 14,375 miles. Build date and mods are in my sig. Any thoughts? I had my friend (a Ford Senior Tech) check my tranny fluid and said level was fine, but it was a little dark. I was going to flush and fill the tranny at my next oil change, which is coming up soon. Any thoughts?:burnout:

Blackened300a
09-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Hey everyone,

I don't know if this is a problem or not. I just installed the 4.10 gears a while ago and had to reflash the ECU. Long story short, I thought I reflashed incorrectly, so I sent Lidio my tuner to make sure I didn't screw anything up. He reloaded the tunes and sent them back.

Now here's where it gets weird. With Lidio's 3.55 tune, the shifts were firm, even at part throttle. At WOT, the 1-2 shift slammed with authority. With the 4.10 tune, I can break the tires loose from the get go and at the 1-2 shift. But at part throttle, the shifting feels soft. It feels like the car "drops" into gear, and sometimes it short shifts the 2-3. The last time I felt shifting like this was in my '02 Taurus.

I don't think it's a problem with the tune, since the 3.55 tune was awesome, and Lidio reloaded the 4.10 tunes. The car only has 14,375 miles. Build date and mods are in my sig. Any thoughts? I had my friend (a Ford Senior Tech) check my tranny fluid and said level was fine, but it was a little dark. I was going to flush and fill the tranny at my next oil change, which is coming up soon. Any thoughts?:burnout:
Im in the same boat as you! Except, I had DR give me stock shift pressures because of my shift kit install. My Transmission Shifts soft at part throttle most of the time, However at the same throttle position, My Tranny would shift hard. I checked my fluid and its fine and light orange. I really want the car to shift soft at partial to mid throttle and then shift Firmly at WOT. I need answers too!

Sully008
09-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Im in the same boat as you! Except, I had DR give me stock shift pressures because of my shift kit install. My Transmission Shifts soft at part throttle most of the time, However at the same throttle position, My Tranny would shift hard. I checked my fluid and its fine and light orange. I really want the car to shift soft at partial to mid throttle and then shift Firmly at WOT. I need answers too!
It sounds like you want it to shift like mine does now.:D I really liked the way the shifts were with the 3.55 tune. Right now, it feels like the bottom drops out of the car when it shifts at part throttle. I'm not really sure where to begin. According to Lidio, shift firmness is the same in both the 3.55/4.10 programs.

MM2004
09-03-2005, 07:36 AM
I have Lidio's tune in my MM running 3.55's and have soft shifts at light/moderate throttle positions.

WOT will yield a much firmer shift as line pressure builds up higher reaching redline rpm's.

The "falling out" as described, sounds strange as mine feels and acts wonderfully.

Expected quicker shifts and softer would make sense pending on where the position of the throttle is, say during traffic. IMHO.

Mike.

Sully008
09-03-2005, 07:50 AM
I have Lidio's tune in my MM running 3.55's and have soft shifts at light/moderate throttle positions.

WOT will yield a much firmer shift as line pressure builds up higher reaching redline rpm's.

The "falling out" as described, sounds strange as mine feels and acts wonderfully.

Expected quicker shifts and softer would make sense pending on where the position of the throttle is, say during traffic. IMHO.

Mike.
Okay, maybe I'm not describing it well enough. When I say "soft", the 1-2 feels like it's "slipping" or "flaring" into the next gear. That's where I feel it "drop" or "fall" out. It's weird because as I stated in my first post, it feels exactly the same way my Taurus did at part throttle. I thought something was wrong with that car and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.:dunno: Maybe I'm reading too much into this...

Blackened300a
09-03-2005, 08:51 AM
With the 4.10 tune from DR, My shifts are firm but too firm, like Im driving a truck around the city or in traffic. But it dont do it all the time. I notice it more when the car warms up. I put the Factory tune in and you can barely notice the transmission shifting into gear. I have a shift kit installed and its main purpose was to make the shifts Faster not firmer. So this is why Im concerned. I Asked Dennis to Put in the Stock Shift Pressures, But I still have Hard Shifts. Is The Torque Convertor Lock-up the issue here????

Smokie
09-03-2005, 09:16 AM
I am in that 1-2 soft shift limbo myself, and you can substitute soft for feels like is slipping at WOT, this started right after the T-Kit install, my uneducated guess is the extra torque overpowers the tranny, because prior to T-Kit my car went into 1-2 like a slap in the face, now is a gentle caress.

I am working with Lidio to get matter resolved and will report to all the results as they become available.