PDA

View Full Version : Not The Brightest Idea I've Ever Had......."

WJSOLOMON
09-02-2002, 10:29 PM
Wanting to impart more of a look with the Haligen Blue Head Lamps of our Europeon Counterparts, I had my Dealer install some upgraded Halogen Blue-Tipped Bulbs for the Head Lamps..............WRONG!

Because they are positioned behind of a Mirrored Reflector, the Strong Bright Light that was intended to come directly into these Reflectors, and be sent back to the Rear Mirrored Reflectors behind them, was blocked by the Blue Tips.

First Chance I get to take it into a Dealer out here on the road, I'll have them reinstall the OEM Clear-Tipped Bulbs, or stop in at one of the Parts Stores along the way, and upgrade to a more intensive Bulb.

Sign me: "Dim Wit"!

warren
09-03-2002, 03:48 PM
Solo I

I have tried them all and the ones that looked blue to look at when lit were the all-weather ones from JC Whitney - the 100/80w. They gave the road and snow a slight yellow cast which made things easier to see, however when you look at these lights they have a blue, white cast from the front. Not a bad deal for 13.99ea.

Warren B.

KazMan
09-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Hey WJSOLOMON,

Just upgraded my lamps today.
I put in a set of Halogen XtraVision by Sylvania
They give a bit more light then the stock ones.You might want to try them.

WJSOLOMON
09-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by KazMan: "Hey WJSOLOMON, Just upgraded my Lmps today.I put in a set of Halogen XtraVision by Sylvania They give a bit more light then the stock ones.You might want to try them."

I bought some today while a I was up around the Chicago area at a Automotive Parts Store, and when I took them in to the area Dealer to install them, he begged off suggesting that it could "Melt the surrounding Plastic and / or Wiring", possibly "Burn the Car Up", and in any case, VOID the New Car Warranty. Such a Negative Attitude these Old Fogey Service Managers seem to have!

If your's hasn't "melted" anything, I think that I'll have my Performance Shop Install them for me, and be done with it.

Do they have any Blue to them, or just Brilliant White Light?

KazMan
09-05-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by WJSOLOMON
Such a Negative Attitude these Old Fogey Service Managers seem to have!

If your's hasn't "melted" anything, I think that I'll have my Performance Shop Install them for me, and be done with it.

Do they have any Blue to them, or just Brilliant White Light?

Yes they do...

Haven't "melted" anything yet...:) Really don't think I will.
(they were on for 3 hours lastnight)
But I'll be out again tonight, just to make sure.

They don't have any blue in them. Not that I can see.

It's just a brighter light, the wattage is the same.
I don't know if it's the pattern it throws or whatever.

I just feel more comfortable with them in.

Link to Sylvania (http://www.sylvania.com/auto/xtravis.htm)

What other people are saying about Xrtra Vision bulbs (http://www.crownvic.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f =2;t=002085)

03 Merc
09-07-2002, 06:56 AM
Guys,

The key to not melting the plastic parts or burning out wirng harnesses is to watch the wattage rating of what you install. The Sylvanias are the same wattage as the factory stock bulbs, at least the ones I looked up are anyway, so you won't harm anything.

For those that are interested here is one of the formulas you need when playing with the electrical system.

Wattage = Power (P)
Amperage = (I)
Electrical Voltage = (E) I know it is 13.8 volts but most folks use 12 volts

Power = I X E

Since we know Wattage (P) is 60 Watts and Voltage (E) is 12 Volts solve for I is : P / E equals 5 Amps.

Now if you are going to exceed 5 Amps in this case check the fuse for that circuit and see what it's rated amperage is on the fuse. In the case of a Circuit controlling multiple lights, like both high beams, you would need to divide by 2 to know the safe amperage for one leg of the circuit (or take your results times two for the total). In the parking light / running light circuit you would have to add up all the lights to know the true rating of the circuit and how much you can add individually if you wanted to put in the new LED 3057s for example...

If you buy some of the cheap 130 / 90 watt lights off the web the answer is:

P = 130 Divided by E = 12 equals 11 amps, rounded (twice your factory rating), and you are going to risk melting plastic stuff and / or blow fuses left and right!!! BTW Never replace a fuse with a higher rating or the wiring harness can be damaged and you can cause a fire...

Enough of the EE crap, just be sensible in your mods and watch the wattage compared to stock....

warren
09-09-2002, 12:52 PM
:( Wayne,

Thanks so much for the info. and formula. I was just not thinking that far ahead. I will make sure to check the fuses and do the math first before putting in new bulbs or even a HID system.
Thanks Again.

Warren B.:rolleyes: