PDA

View Full Version : 4:10 gear....I need one

marauder007
09-16-2005, 09:28 AM
i am trying to buy a 4:10 gear does anyone know prices and where to go and also how to install is it hard

pantheroc
09-16-2005, 09:47 AM
i am trying to buy a 4:10 gear does anyone know prices and where to go and also how to install is it hardFirst off, welcome to MM.net! I joined recently too (lurked for a few years prior) and everyone is a great help.

Here is a site http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

Check forums on this site for info on installs and potential gotchas.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20743&highlight=4.10
If you need location of where to go, post your location, I'm sure there will be someone near you to give info.

ckadiddle
09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Dennis Reinhart of Reinhart Performance sells the Ford Racing Products 4.10s. I believe he is a supporting vendor of mm.net.

http://reinhartautomotive.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=12345&Product_Code=MM-FRP410&Category_Code=9

jgc61sr2002
09-16-2005, 02:58 PM
007 - Welcome to the MM site. :D There are several supporting vendors of this site that will hoop you up.

marauder007
09-16-2005, 10:26 PM
has anyone installed one of theseif so how hard is it and shoul i take it to a transmision shop or cold i do it myself

BillyGman
09-16-2005, 10:56 PM
has anyone installed one of theseif so how hard is it and shoul i take it to a transmision shop or cold i do it myselfI did it on my Marauder twice. I was successful both times, but the reason for the second time was simply because that was well before I ever had any intention of supercharging the car, and the 4.10 gears just didn't provide enough acceleration from 0-80 MPH for me, so I then installed the 4.56's.

It's a big job if you're not someone that's used to doing it quite often. You can definately do it if you're mechanically inclined, but you had better do your homework if you want it to be safe and come out right. I went on three differnt websites to read their instructions for the job that were specific to Ford 8.8 rear ends, and I also used the 2003 Ford shop manual for Marauders.

You'll need some special tools also such as a depth micrometer for measuring the pinion depth, a dial indicator with a magnetic base for measuring for proper backlash, and an inch pounds torque wrench that has a dial on it for setting the proper pinion bearing pre-load (which should be set to 25 in/LBS for new bearings). I also viewed some pics I found on one website which clearly showed what the marking pattern on the gear teeth should look like, and what it should NOT look like. And that's important since you'll have to use the white marking compound on the gear teeth to check for proper gear teeth mesh. Like I said, it can be done, but don't think that it's going to be something you can just breeze through if you've never done it before.

If you don't take all the neccessary measurements and be analytical about it, then your Marauder's rear end can literally bust apart on the highway. But it likely will not happen right away. I've heard that when the job isn't done properly, after a few hundred miles it starts out as a definate noise, and the noise gets louder and louder as you tack on the mileage, and sometimes it goes like that for up to a 1,000 miles or so, before it busts apart. NOT good!!!

BTW, I bought my gears at www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com) the first time I did the job (the 4.10 installation) I used a lift, but the second time I did it (the 4.56 installation) I didn't have use of a lift, and I did it on my back, which makes it even more challenging. Again, it can even be performed w/out the use of a lift, but in that case you need to get the car up as high as possible on jackstands, because you'll need room. I have heavy duty 6 ton jackstands that reach up to a 23" height, and I had them extended all the way up when I did the 4.56 gear installation. If you don't have an impact gun (like I didn't) Then you'll have to use a four foot iron plumbing pipe (like I did) to get the pinion nut fully torqued (not easy doing that while on your back either).

stevengerard
09-17-2005, 07:15 AM
has anyone installed one of theseif so how hard is it and shoul i take it to a transmision shop or cold i do it myself

There is a shop near Cicero Ave and 127th of of 294 that did mine and works on many other Windy City cars forgot the name but begins with an M I beleive. Mac, Zack or Slopoke can tell you. Dennis Reinhart sells the gears.

marauder007
09-17-2005, 10:33 AM
anyone know what they would charge for doing this i was curious

BillyGman
09-17-2005, 10:51 AM
anyone know what they would charge for doing this i was curiousLOL..... apparently you're a little intimidated by the sound of the installation procedure details. :)

jgc61sr2002
09-17-2005, 11:03 AM

IMO this should be left to the experts.

BillyGman
09-17-2005, 01:13 PM
IMO this should be left to the experts.That's what I used to think about supercharger installations. However, the ring & pinion gear swap is something that requires attention to detail.

Bradley G
09-17-2005, 03:55 PM
We are in Fox River Grove.

We can take care of the Gear swap.

marauder007
09-18-2005, 09:59 AM
:D:D
We are in Fox River Grove.

We can take care of the Gear swap.
how much would u charge for the install just curious at this point but definately interested
thank agai for all your help

Bradley G
09-18-2005, 10:59 AM
PM me or better yet call for details!