PDA

View Full Version : Modern tech

FastMerc
09-18-2005, 07:11 AM
A puzzling ques.Years back when gas was .95 cents a gallon for high test,out of high school I had and still have today a 1967 pontiac.I could get 18 miles to a gallon if I kept my FOOT out of it.Now jump ahead 20 some years Ive got a Marauder all those years of development why cant this smaller more efficient motor get more miliage? Or what I should say is why dont todays V8s get way more miliage than they did 20 or 30 years ago.After all look how a computer changes after only 5 years.I think its all:bs: they just dont want to sell it.

Bradley G
09-18-2005, 07:18 AM
The fact is, engines are more effecient today.

You fail to mention, the emmissions that exist today.
Fact:
The 70's four cylinder Ford Pinto, did not achive as good of fuel mileage, than the Eight cylinder Panther in the ninetys & today.

STLR FN
09-18-2005, 07:21 AM
My take is that the car companies were/are/still doing just the minmum to meet current CAFE standards. Can more be done, yes. Only in light of the current gas situation are the car companies doing more. Just my SWAG.

FastMerc
09-18-2005, 07:22 AM
The fact is, engines are more effecient today.

You fail to mention, the emmissions that exist today.
Fact:
The 70's four cylinder Ford Pinto, did not achive as good of fuel mileage, than the Eight cylinder Panther in the ninetys & today. Oh dont get me wrong here I understand what you are saying,I understand about emissions but where is the tech,to improve on the miliage with teh emissions?

Bradley G
09-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Today's vehicles get way better mileage, despite the emmisions restrictions.

FastMerc
09-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Today's vehicles get way better mileage, despite the emmisions restrictions. Yes but it should be much more dont you think!

Bradley G
09-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I think near five hundred horsepower(crank) 4:10 gears on a 4500#car W/ driver, getting twenty miles per gallon highway , is an engineering marvel!:banana2:

What do You think? :P

Skiordie53
09-18-2005, 11:39 AM
The Marauder sucks on mileage I had an 84 Pontiac Parisienne (Cousin to Chevy Caprice) with a 305 4bbl that got 18 mixed driving and about 24 on the highway. I don't get near that in the marauder, i average 14 mixed and maybe 18.5 on the highway. My fuel injected 305 in my 89 firebird formula with 3.73s and alot of other work doen to it i used to get almost 30 on the highway on average and 20 around town.

Smokie
09-18-2005, 11:53 AM
A puzzling ques.Years back when gas was .95 cents a gallon for high test,out of high school I had and still have today a 1967 pontiac.I could get 18 miles to a gallon if I kept my FOOT out of it.Now jump ahead 20 some years Ive got a Marauder all those years of development why cant this smaller more efficient motor get more miliage? Or what I should say is why dont todays V8s get way more miliage than they did 20 or 30 years ago.After all look how a computer changes after only 5 years.I think its all:bs: they just dont want to sell it.Well, we all know what the MM. weighs, engine size and my fuel consumption before S/C was 17 mpg city driving, 23.5 mpg highway, after S/C 16.5 mpg city/22 mpg highway.

What we don't know is your 1967 Pontiac's weight, engine size, and whether you got 18 mpg on the highway or city driving.:)

Skiordie53
09-18-2005, 12:00 PM
how do you guys get thpse numbers ive never gotten enar that and i baby the car

ckadiddle
09-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Seems like I got 15 point something when I checked it last. All was around town driving, not trying to conserve gas at all.

usafsniper
09-18-2005, 06:10 PM
how do you guys get thpse numbers ive never gotten enar that and i baby the car
Not sure how you drive, but I get 17.5 to 18 in the city, even getting into the pedal once or twice a day. I've got stock gears, a JLT intake and a Reinhart tune. On the highway at 80mph I average 24-25. Could be the gas you use or maybe you need to check your intake/injectors etc. to make sure everything's clean and working as best it can. Your numbers sound way too low for a near stock car.

FastMerc
09-20-2005, 05:44 PM
OK the Pontiac in question is a 67 LeMans with a 326 H.O. POWER PLANT with 3:23gears weighs in at approx. 3250 pounds.But my question is why tech,hasnt gotton better with fuel miliage,when I have gotten info from an individual that told me a certain carb. company developed a carb for the 302 v8 for the mustang that got approx. 50 miles to the gallon that never saw the production car.this was back in the 80s:P

Smokie
09-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Not sure how you drive, but I get 17.5 to 18 in the city, even getting into the pedal once or twice a day. I've got stock gears, a JLT intake and a Reinhart tune. On the highway at 80mph I average 24-25. Could be the gas you use or maybe you need to check your intake/injectors etc. to make sure everything's clean and working as best it can. Your numbers sound way too low for a near stock car.For what it maybe worth, my gas mileage improved after I purchased the Reinhart tune back in '03, bonestock my car was doing about 15.5 mpg in the city, 17 mpg after tune.
The highway mileage remained about the same around 23 mpg.

jobrien8
09-20-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm always impressed with the legends of the carb that get mega miles per gallon. This usually happens when fuel prices spike upward. And they target a manufacturer (Ford, GM, Chrysler) that bought the rights and shelved the piece.
What accessories does this Pontiac have? P/S, A/C, air pumps? What type of tires? There are too many factors that affect mileage.
You now have a processor that controls engine functions: EGR, fuel rail pressure, IMRC functions, etc., etc.. In '67, you could tune a carb to do what ever you wanted. You could modify the distributor to change the timing and how slow or fast the advance worked. And you didn't have to worry about CAFE, emission standards.
Also, there are fuels out there that have ethanol, upwards to 10%, that affects your mileage. So instead of saying that the manufacturer is at fault, remember that there are many extenuating factors involved.

Bradley G
09-20-2005, 07:15 PM
It's alot to do with power, I too had a Parisienne Wagon, It got pretty good mileage but it was a real pooch.:woof:

The claim on the Firechicken is a little bit of a strech, eh?

The Marauder sucks on mileage I had an 84 Pontiac Parisienne (Cousin to Chevy Caprice) with a 305 4bbl that got 18 mixed driving and about 24 on the highway. I don't get near that in the marauder, i average 14 mixed and maybe 18.5 on the highway. My fuel injected 305 in my 89 firebird formula with 3.73s and alot of other work doen to it i used to get almost 30 on the highway on average and 20 around town.

SergntMac
09-21-2005, 07:15 AM
The claim on the Firechicken is a little bit of a strech, eh? Indeed...You're stretching the meaning of the word stretch!

At what point does a gasoline buring engine max out MPG. What is the reasonable MPG upper limit? 20-30-40 MPG? Gudlawd, must take some gasoline to make it all work, yes?

I just completed a 2300 mile round trip from Chicago to Jacksonville, FL. Overall MPG was 17.7, and we were flying low all the way. 500+ RWHP, A/C on, 4400 pound car, with at least 2000 pounds of additional luggage, tools, passengers, and so on. The MPG was slightly better on the drive down, but I attribute that to the magnetic pull of the equator. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased with this OTR mileage. Maybe next time I'll try to conserve fuel for better MPG, but I'm not really old enough for that yet.

FastMerc
09-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Indeed...You're stretching the meaning of the word stretch!

At what point does a gasoline buring engine max out MPG. What is the reasonable MPG upper limit? 20-30-40 MPG? Gudlawd, must take some gasoline to make it all work, yes?

I just completed a 2300 mile round trip from Chicago to Jacksonville, FL. Overall MPG was 17.7, and we were flying low all the way. 500+ RWHP, A/C on, 4400 pound car, with at least 2000 pounds of additional luggage, tools, passengers, and so on. The MPG was slightly better on the drive down, but I attribute that to the magnetic pull of the equator. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased with this OTR mileage. Maybe next time I'll try to conserve fuel for better MPG, but I'm not really old enough for that yet. Cool dude:banana: