PDA

View Full Version : Too many sticky topics.

Vince Gortner
03-21-2003, 09:12 PM
I don't assume to know too much about anything, but I think that there are a few too many "important" topics in the garage forum. Not to take anything away from the thought that went into those threads - I just think a couple of them have been played out and it's time to move on. For instance, I'm not really thinking about winter tires anymore.

I could be wrong. Gentlemen, your thoughts?

Logan & LML, feel free to zap me if I'm out of line. I appreciate the time you take to moderate this fine forum and this most excellent website.

Vince Gortner
03-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Wait. Actually, some of those are worth saving somewhere so that people just joining us can easily find the important stuff.

Any way of creating a separate archive forum where threads of lasting significance can be held while not gumming up the works for new activity?

Matt Johnson
03-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Vince...just hit "New Posts" to check out new activity across the forum.

Slowpoke
03-21-2003, 10:45 PM
after the baby is born, they can remove the sticky from my baby thread.

Logan
03-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Hi Vince, you're right.... :) I'll see what I can do to re-organize it a little better... The intent is to make some of the more useful conversation's easier to find...

Vince Gortner
03-22-2003, 08:10 AM
Thanks. I hope my post was taken in a constructive manner.

Poke - I was just talking about the garage forum. Your baby is important and that thread can stay put. My little guy just turned 2 and you're gonna need all the help you can get just to keep your mind right. It's a full time job and then some...

LincMercLover
03-22-2003, 10:04 AM
I went through their earlier this morning after reading this, but didn't have a chance to tell you that I unstuck a couple of them. And like Slowpoke says, as soon as he can get his wife to pop that thing out, that one will come down too. ;)

Otherwise, a few of those threads need to be written up into technical articles and saved in a folder like that. Whacha think Logan?

TAF
03-22-2003, 10:56 AM
as soon as he can get his wife to pop that thing out,

I guess that "Sensitivity Training" worked for you, eh LML??

Logan
03-22-2003, 05:18 PM
"Pop that thing out"?? Can't tell you ain't married can ya? :)

You're right though, I was thinking of a sub-forum to the garage just for "important conversations" to be stuck to...

grzellmer
03-22-2003, 09:48 PM
LML

Yeah, as soon as she "pops", her elapsed time getting a beer for "Daddy" from the fridge should drop by at least 2 tenths of a second.

(OK, did my wife see me type this - Hope Not)

TripleTransAm
03-23-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Logan

You're right though, I was thinking of a sub-forum to the garage just for "important conversations" to be stuck to...

A newbie like myself would greatly appreciate that approach. As I saw the number of stickies grow, I did notice that I felt a sense of reassurance knowing the important information was there for me all assembled in one place, in a sort of FAQ. I intend to address most of those issues one-by-one as soon as I get my MM.

Actually, there's a novel approach: instead of a linear text-based FAQ, this would be the first Forum-based FAQ... a FAQ folder of sorts, at the same level as the 'garage' or 'community' where all that great faqqing info could easily be researched.

I understand the search function exists to help in this research, but on some hot topics there have been several different threads with different outcomes...

LincMercLover
03-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by TAF
I guess that "Sensitivity Training" worked for you, eh LML??

Like a charm! Didn't I ever tell you I won "Most Caring Guy" at my school? :lol:

ANYWAY, back on subject. Yah, a FAQ section would be really nice... :)

cyled
03-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
Yah, a FAQ section would be really nice... :)

Agreed, but only Moderators can post anything in the FAQ section. Moderators would determine when a subject has been resolved or a Fix has been posted then move it to the FAQ section.

Otherwise it will be like all the other forums with good tips mixed in with general information.

May even be a good thing in the FAQ section to divide it up between Performance Mods (would have to be proven they actually increase performance), fixes (i.e. sub rattle, wipers), installation tips (spoiler) and general tips (i.e. silenced silencer, detailing tips and etc).

My .02

RF Overlord
03-24-2003, 08:48 AM
^^^what cyled said^^^

Logan
03-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Are you volunteering to head up the effort there LML?? I have a FAQ module I can turn on if you want to be in charge of populating the content... :)

TAF
03-24-2003, 10:12 AM
I vote YES for LML putting this together

VOTES:
YES = 1

NO = 0

prchrman
03-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Volunteer...who...me...be very keerful LML...old adage "never ever volunteer"...JK...go for it...would be very helpful to all on site...and thanks for stepping up to the plate...I know you will...
PS..2 yes, 0 no

LincMercLover
03-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Yah sure. Why not?

Logan, check your PM's.

RF Overlord
03-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Since LML tried to give me away...no, that's not right...tried to pay BON to to take me off his hands...I vote he has to do all the heavy lifting for the next month...

so that makes it 3 Yes, 0 No...

LincMercLover
03-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Watch it RF. I'll put a FAQ up on how to dis and ignore you! :D

Bigdogjim
03-24-2003, 01:04 PM
LML: What a guy!!! Thanks for stepping up to the plate...... I think you'll do great at the new post........
4=yes
0=no
You win :banana: :banana:
Big Dog

TripleTransAm
03-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
Watch it RF. I'll put a FAQ up on how to dis and ignore you! :D

RF who?? :D

I, for one, will really appreciate such a FAQ. Well, at least after tomorrow night.
(woohoo!!!)!