PDA

View Full Version : New tune and octane question...

robodog
09-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Received the XCal2 yesterday and immediately loaded the 93 octane tune. Now I can't wipe the smile off my face. This is the best $400 I've ever spent. Bought the tune solely for the transmission changes and couldn't be happier. Thanks Lidio.
I have hit the throttle hard only once and heard some rattle that I've not heard before. Not sure about the quality of 93 octane here in north AL. Seems like this has been discussed before but wanted to get some feedback from someone. Will switching to the 91 octane tune take care of this?
Any feedback is appreciated.

Bradley G
09-21-2005, 05:58 AM
It very well may.

This is one thing the tuner can not control(fuel quality)
Someone posted (recently)about different fuel blends, depending on where you live.

Enjoy your tune!:burnout:

Lidio
09-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Received the XCal2 yesterday and immediately loaded the 93 octane tune. Now I can't wipe the smile off my face. This is the best $400 I've ever spent. Bought the tune solely for the transmission changes and couldn't be happier. Thanks Lidio.
I have hit the throttle hard only once and heard some rattle that I've not heard before. Not sure about the quality of 93 octane here in north AL. Seems like this has been discussed before but wanted to get some feedback from someone. Will switching to the 91 octane tune take care of this?
Any feedback is appreciated.

Glad to hear your happy so far.

It sounds most likely that it is pinging from your fuel not being quite up to the standards that tune was originally set up for. If the 91 tune fixed it, simply leave it that way and you'll be fine. The 91 tune is still slightly more aggressive then the stock tune with the timing along with all the other stuff we do to improve the drivability of the MM.

Thanks

Mr Johnson
09-22-2005, 06:31 PM
I too had the detonation when I originally installed the tune. I was at 1/2 tank and always used Mobil 93. I decided to fill up with BP Amoco 93 and within 10 miles the detonation is gone.

Guess BP gets my Marauder gas money from now on.

Eric91Z
09-22-2005, 07:46 PM
I too had the detonation when I originally installed the tune. I was at 1/2 tank and always used Mobil 93. I decided to fill up with BP Amoco 93 and within 10 miles the detonation is gone.

Guess BP gets my Marauder gas money from now on.

They will have to get mine too around here since they offer the highest non-ethanol gas at 92. We can get 93, but it has ethanol and pretty much everyone else is at 91. I miss the days when we used to have Sunoco 93.5 around here. That was good stuff.