PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is a Police Interceptor?

TripleTransAm
03-22-2003, 03:31 PM
I wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in, but it's *kinda* MM-related, so here goes...

What the heck is a Police Interceptor? A few weeks ago I spotted a black Crown Victoria in my side mirror as we were stuck in heavy traffic. Knowing that Crown Vics are no longer available in Canada except for fleet use, I figured it was either a MM or an unmarked police car.

As it crept past me, I surmised it was an unmarked police car (complete with 'company car' plates and various antennae discretely placed about the rear window). On the rear decklid I spotted a small emblem with the text "Police Interceptor".

Now, I've heard references to PI on this board before, but always thought it was an internal term for a CV equipped with police-spec equipment (engine, susp, tires, etc.). Now, why in the world would someone driving an unmarked police car WANT to have a small emblem indicating it's a police car? Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

MM-relation: I was thinking of maybe buying one such emblem for my own future MM, in an attempt to get some of the local psycho drivers to back the f*** off...

RCSignals
03-22-2003, 03:43 PM
There are two forms of Police Interceptor. One is essentially "Blacked out" Black honeycomb grille, black door handles, black rear facia with the "Police Interceptor" badging, Black under tail lights, and all red tail lights.

There is a version meant for a more stealthy look, which has all the mechanical amenities of the Blacked out Police interceptor, but all the civilian versions chrome, called the "Street Appearance Package" and no Police Interceptor badge

Here is the Canada Order Guide for interest sake https://web.msslib2.dealerconnection.c om/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c 58803581d9

US Order Guide https://web.msslib2.dealerconnection.c om/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c 588036c30b

mad man
03-22-2003, 03:49 PM
TAXI

RF Overlord
03-22-2003, 05:53 PM
3TA:

Ford makes two very similar cars, the Crown Victoria and the Police Interceptor. Although they look almost identical, the PI is in fact it's own marque. It has a heavy-duty, specially reinforced frame, dual exhaust, beefed-up front and rear sway bars, an auxiliary oil cooler, a 130 amp alternator, slightly different programming of the PCM, and a host of pre-installed wiring options for roof lights, radios, antennas, etc. There are quite a few other differences, too, but those are the major ones. In the US, civilians can't purchase them new, but are free to own used ones...as mad man said, they are also frequently used as taxis, because they last forever.

B-26
03-22-2003, 06:35 PM
To make it even muddier Ford has two options on the PI. one for municipal police and one for state police. I am not sure what the difference is other than maybe cruise control is standard on the state model?

RF Overlord
03-22-2003, 06:49 PM
B-26:

Really? I thought a P71 was a P71...all the same... :confused:

JerseyVics
03-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by B-26
To make it even muddier Ford has two options on the PI. one for municipal police and one for state police. I am not sure what the difference is other than maybe cruise control is standard on the state model?
like RC posted you can get a Police Interceptor or Police Interceptor Street Appearance Package.

Its a cool car really, have had 7 of them already, LOL

--Russ:coolman:

TripleTransAm
03-23-2003, 05:14 AM
Well I'll be darned...

I didn't realize there was so much behind this PI thing. What do you folks think about my idea of putting the PI emblem on the back end of a MM? I mean, it's just an appearance-enhancer (or detractor, depending on personal opinion of course) similar to changing the Mercury grille and trunk logos or windshield banners etc.

Too bad you can't get a reinforced frame on a non-PI... from what I've experienced over the years, a stiffer frame leads by induction to a softer ride, as more of the road imperfections are absorbed by the suspension and not by chassis flex which results in a harsh ride (ask me how I know... hint: 3 letters, starts with a 'G', ends with an 'A' and there's a 'T' in the middle! ;) )

BigMerc
03-23-2003, 07:47 AM
The onterceptor is the one on the right

BigMerc
03-23-2003, 07:48 AM
ok it could be an Interceptor (those onterceptors are rare)

beemer
03-23-2003, 08:23 AM
To clear up some misconception. The frames are identical.
CVPI's get stiffer frame to body bushings, some have blue silicone hoses, some have ground straps on the hoods, decklids as an RFI package. Like the civilian cars, there are options.
Chip programming, transmission shift points, transmission tailshaft, rear end ratio and driveshaft, some had different brake calipers. Springs and shocks, swaybars different.

There's a "street appearance package" with cloth interior, no spotlight, chrome grille and full hubcaps. Some prefer the handling of the HPP package civvie vics, some prefer the PI.
I've been using PI's for daily drivers for some time now. Get a good one, it will spoil you. For a large car, handling is quite good although I found out quite early in my experience that the rearends get light real quick!:alone:

Here's a pic of my current '97PI daily driver

http://home.tiac.net/~ltm/97side.jpg

Best,

Paul:D

Katmandu
03-23-2003, 08:32 AM
-->> Ford's P71 Fleet page <<-- (http://www.fleet.ford.com/products/specialty_vehicles/2003_Police_Interceptor.asp)

-->> 2001 P71 Specs <<-- (http://www.geocities.com/bruzilla/2001specs.html)

-->> The Police Interceptor Home Page <<-- (http://www.geocities.com/bruzilla/)

scottycopcar
08-16-2004, 01:17 PM
try 200 amp alternator(at least for an '04 PI). it can put out 130 amps at idle if needed
3TA:

Ford makes two very similar cars, the Crown Victoria and the Police Interceptor. Although they look almost identical, the PI is in fact it's own marque. It has a heavy-duty, specially reinforced frame, dual exhaust, beefed-up front and rear sway bars, an auxiliary oil cooler, a 130 amp alternator, slightly different programming of the PCM, and a host of pre-installed wiring options for roof lights, radios, antennas, etc. There are quite a few other differences, too, but those are the major ones. In the US, civilians can't purchase them new, but are free to own used ones...as mad man said, they are also frequently used as taxis, because they last forever.

scottycopcar
08-16-2004, 01:24 PM
you don't need the street appearance package option to get cloth seats and carpet. at least not for an '04 PI. i just bought one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemWithCate gory&item=2479715286(link should still work)
To clear up some misconception. The frames are identical.
CVPI's get stiffer frame to body bushings, some have blue silicone hoses, some have ground straps on the hoods, decklids as an RFI package. Like the civilian cars, there are options.
Chip programming, transmission shift points, transmission tailshaft, rear end ratio and driveshaft, some had different brake calipers. Springs and shocks, swaybars different.

There's a "street appearance package" with cloth interior, no spotlight, chrome grille and full hubcaps. Some prefer the handling of the HPP package civvie vics, some prefer the PI.
I've been using PI's for daily drivers for some time now. Get a good one, it will spoil you. For a large car, handling is quite good although I found out quite early in my experience that the rearends get light real quick!:alone:

Here's a pic of my current '97PI daily driver

http://home.tiac.net/~ltm/97side.jpg

Best,

Paul:D

jgc61sr2002
08-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Scotty - Welcome to the MM site. :D Nice folks and good info. :up:

RoyLPita
08-16-2004, 04:52 PM
I would rather have an LX HPP (or LX Sport) with all of the creature comforts and add the PCM + stealth look. I would also have the option of adding the oil cooler, the silicone hoses, and the 140 mph speedo, unless it already has the electronic dash.

Just my .02 and then some.

studio460
08-16-2004, 10:07 PM
What do you folks think about my idea of putting the PI emblem on the back end of a MM?Hey, there, Triple-T!

I think the Ford "Police Interceptor" badges are the FIRST accessories (I bought two) I ever purchased for my Marauder! They're very nicely manufactured and I think they look ultra cool. I first put one on the airbag cover on the passenger-side dash. I did this mainly for people who might be peering into the car, thinking of breaking in, and then seeing the emblem and thinking again. I love the way the badge looks on the rear trim panel where it's really supposed to go; however, I haven't put the second badge there yet since I have mixed feelings about whether that's a good thing to do or not. Once I finally get all my permanent antennas installed in my trunk lid (CB, digital police scanner, analog police scanner bands), I probably will break down and mount the PI badge on the rear trim panel, completing the car's "official-looking" cosmetic effect.

Anyway, if you like it Steve, buy a couple (I ordered mine right from my local Ford dealer) and see how they look!

TripleTransAm
08-17-2004, 06:53 AM
Wow, thanks NBC, that question was from last year actually... my wife seems to like the stealth look better and has voiced her disapproval of a Police Interceptor badge. I like your motivation behind mounting it visibly in the interior, as I had the same intention as well (ie. not to look like an LEO, but to discourage any tampering with the car). However, my window tint pretty much prevents anyone from seeing anything in the car, front or rear... :)

Looking back, I probably did the right thing not putting the emblems on my car. The kiddies in the West Island end of Montreal pretty much walk all over the local cops anyway (when you actually see them, that is)... I'm sure I would have been vandalized before too long, if my car looked remotely like an LEO's. *sigh*
(my new location, on the other hand, is excellent: I see a minimum of one patrol car every two days, just cruising the neighborhood.)

Heavy351
08-17-2004, 07:02 AM

The biggest difference is the rear end gearing I believe. Mine was a unmarked MA State police cruiser with a 2.73 rear gear and the 351W(1988). A real dog off the line but was lots of fun from 40-100 MPH. The Municipal version had the 3.55 and 5.0 back then.

Mine had the rubber floor, mexican air(first thing I fixed), vinyl bench seat, PA speaker, extra guages special wiring harness for the wig-wag lights. I also think mine had triangular gussets welded to the frame behind the front wheel wells.

woaface
08-17-2004, 07:05 AM
:soapbox: Yeah, a dark blue, black or silver colored vic is a cop car to most civilians. Almost every time I meet someone new I hear "Wow...it's like what the cops use" and even to someone who doesn't know much about cars it's very easy to pick out why my car is NOT a cop car. Although when I blacked out the tail lights with electrical tape...a lot more people slowed down before passing me.

Really a regular Vic LX Sport would be better with a center consol and electronic temp control. Just get a dark or silver color and throw a grill, hubcaps and tinted windows on it. People 1) won't pass you 2) when you're coming up from behind, they'll move the heck % Even my light blue car looks silver-ish (what the state troopers use) when I'm flyin' up from behind. And I've verified that...10-4.

THE_INTERCEPTOR
08-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Silly Marauder owners...some of you know so little about your MM's ancestors...the CV. :)

Just kidding, of course. :lol: :birthday: :beatnik:

I know a lot of you guys used to be former CV or GM owners yourselves. :up:

stevengerard
08-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Yeah, the local LEOs I know say the last thing you should do is make your car look like an official car. The wrong folks will key it, kick it, and least painful spit on it. Mac can chime in, I beleive he agreed with this as well.

Amsoil_Dealer
08-17-2004, 12:19 PM
I had a silver 99 LX HPP in which I installed a black honey comb grille. I did not particularly want to look like a cop, I just liked the way the car looked with the black grill.

I absolutely hated the deer in the headlights "uh oh it's a cop" reactions I got from other drivers. I had one bimbo who was going about 80 pass me on I-75. I was going about 75 and when I pulled out behind her to pass a 65 MPH truck she looked up in her mirror saw my grill and slammed on the brakes to bring it down to 70. I darn near rear ended her.

I now have an Arizona beige CV LX Sport with a chrome grille. The combo of beige and chrome rarely causes any panic (except at night) and my drives are much more relaxed.

My advice is to keep it civilian,

Don

RCSignals
08-17-2004, 03:09 PM
:soapbox: Yeah, a dark blue, black or silver colored vic is a cop car to most civilians. Almost every time I meet someone new I hear "Wow...it's like what the cops use" and even to someone who doesn't know much about cars it's very easy to pick out why my car is NOT a cop car. ......................

Especially when they see the driver :drive: :cheer: