PDA

View Full Version : I need more help - Window tinting

Wires
09-22-2005, 12:02 PM
I just learned that my window tinting is too dark for Georgia. Rome City cop measured it for me, and it only cost me 80 bucks!! (the bill was on a nice piece of yellow paper.) CRAP!!!

Since the legal transmission is 32, and mine is 15, I guess it's got to go - no matter how much I like it.

Does anyone know of a good place to take my car to get it changed? Someplace that will not damage my interior or paint?

My radio reception is bad enough - I hope I don't need a new rear-window.

Slowpoke
09-22-2005, 01:57 PM
maybe the shop that did the tint will give you a special deal on replacing the tint since they were the ones that installed the wrong tint.

Wires
09-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Sorry, I forgot to say that I bought the car like this, so I don't know who put it on. It was purchased in Georgia new, and was a one owner car when it was traded. The tint law was in effect for all but 2004, so I didn't think it could be illegal. I'm guessing, but since it looks like a CV, maybe it doesn't get as much attention.

I guess I've been lucky so far. I'd go on trying my luck, but I hate the thought that any jursidiction I drive through can charge me several tens of dollars - I guess that meter pays for itself after so many.

What a pain.

There's gotta be somewhere in Atlanta/North Georgia to get this done - I just don't want to go to someone who will do a half-a job and mess up my car in the process.

Hotrauder
09-22-2005, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=Wires]I just learned that my window tinting is too dark for Georgia. Rome City cop measured it for me, and it only cost me 80 bucks!! (the bill was on a nice piece of yellow paper.) CRAP!!!

Since the legal transmission is 32, and mine is 15, I guess it's got to go - no matter how much I like it.

Does anyone know of a good place to take my car to get it changed? Someplace that will not damage my interior or paint?

My radio reception is bad enough - I hope I don't need a new rear-window.[/QUOTE

I have had 4 cars done at Tint Plus. I believe they are a National Franchise but not sure. However my guy is in Plant City, Fl. He recommends and I have always used LLumar Film. They do great work, it is legal, looks nice and they have always thrown in a 6" strip on the top of the windshield at my favorite price - FREE. When they are done you cannot tell they were in your car. Good luck and sorry about the COMPLEMENTARY check.:lol:

kartherma
09-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Ricers are good for one thing....

If you have a large contingency of ricers around, pick one with some good speed graphics and ask where they got it done. Those guys change tint and decals often and the shops that do them tend to specialize in them.

I have one in San Diego that does nothing but that.

Just an idea

be good, Curt

johnfain
09-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I just learned that my window tinting is too dark for Georgia. Rome City cop measured it for me, and it only cost me 80 bucks!! (the bill was on a nice piece of yellow paper.) CRAP!!!

My radio reception is bad enough - I hope I don't need a new rear-window.

You can peel it of yourself. Just use a razor blade thingy. All that is holding it on is a solution of water and soap, providing the original owner had it done by a good shop.

Also, Someplace that will not damage my interior or paint This should not be an issue so long as you don't piss off the guy working on your car. :confused: :confused:

Murader03
09-22-2005, 09:16 PM
You can peel it of yourself. Just use a razor blade thingy. All that is holding it on is a solution of water and soap, providing the original owner had it done by a good shop.

Also, Someplace that will not damage my interior or paint This should not be an issue so long as you don't piss off the guy working on your car. :confused: :confused:

Borrow your wife\girlfriend's hair dryer, get a good razor blade scrapper. Cut the tint in sections\strips of about 3-4 inches in width. Heat the tint till it will peel off easily once you start it with the blade. Keep the hair dryer on it at all times and just heat and peel your way across the strip. Take your time and don't pull too hard or get ahead of the heat. After that, scrap the residue off and then wash the window. It's not a difficult task, and if you mess up the interior, you've got no one to blame but yourself. I had to do this when I moved from one state to another. The driver and passenger window tint had to come off to pass the state inspection. Took about an hour after I figured out what needed to be done. The tint is put on with an soap and water solution and heat is used to completed the install. All your doing is reversing the process, heat to take it off, then soap/water or window cleaner to complete the cleaning. Good luck!