PDA

View Full Version : You get what you bargain for...

kartherma
09-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Yep, add me to the list of sad MM owners who has had their baby mauled by the carelessness of another.

In this case it was the drunkeness of another.

Note to self...If you park at a pub, you might get drunk people parking next to you...

Last night a "lady" got in her car and cut the wheel hard to the left, looked over her left shoulder and drug her front bumper off at the expense of my Marauder. I have yet to see it in the light. I do know it is worked over pretty good, lots of metal damage on both front and rear doors.

Nice.

Better still is it was in a private parking lot, so no police involvement. She was distressed and called her husband who came out immediately. He wants to pay cash for it, I will work with him on it but I wont let it last for ever either.

So if all goes well, I will get it back to Isaac today or tomorrow for the body shop to get me an estimate.

Dang! If we didnt do this 2 hour thing at work today, I would have been in Yuma and this would not have happend!!!

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

OK, now I feel better

Be good!

OH, by the way...
Installed the TorinoDan bumper inserts...AWESOME!
They are dark charcoal and at night you cant see them until the light hits them right...then they glow with pride. AWESME!!!

ckadiddle
09-24-2005, 12:04 PM
I am not sure what you mean by private parking lot, no police involvement. I bet this was THEIR idea, not yours. I'll also bet this is not her first DUI.

kartherma
09-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I am sure it was not a first time thing either.

What I was trying to say is that the incident happened in a parking lot, not a public road or highway. Generally the experience I have had is the LEO's dont do much at all for little fender benders (especially when there is no personal injury).
Since it happened in a parking lot, not much the police can do other than take a report.

Doing that calls attention to the pub, attention that the owner does not want...being a fair to good bud of the owner, I did not think calling the police would have helped much.

Adding to this, her husband is active duty Navy. Being an Officer in the US Navy, I am sensitive to the issue since he is an enlisted man and had enough troubles to worry about.

Sure, no apology could relieve the stress added to my life last night (and now that I am heading out to look at it in the light right now). But I really did not feel like making it any more than it needed to be.

I have the insurance info. I spoke to the people on the 1-800 last night and at least got it logged. The insurance is good.
The husband wants to pay for it out of pocket. I am willing to work with him. In the absolute worst possible case I will have to pay for it myself. Surely not something I want to do, but to put it in perspective, I have lost nothnig compared to the 1000's of families on the gulf coast.

The weather is great here, I am gonna go try and enjoy it some!

be good,
Curt

DeepSea117
09-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Sorry about the car, that stress is totally bad for the blood pressure :mad2:

So you let her off the hook? My thinking is what if another drunk person was crazy enough to be walking between the cars...who knows what she wouldn't have seen? It would have helped her stay off the road, if the cops booked her, especially with this probably not being the first time. And raise her damn insurance rates.

Calling the police does call attention to the owner of the bar, but I figure that's just the risk of owning a bar. The owner didn't put her into the car and start it for her. Sorry, I just think this lady deserved a lot more, especially since someone I know was given a ticket just for sitting drunk in the car while having the key in the ignition (motor not running).

MarauderMark
09-25-2005, 06:56 PM
OH, by the way...
They are dark charcoal and at night you cant see them until the light hits them right...then they glow with pride. AWESME!!!
Sorry to hear of your misfortune ..But if you have pics of these inserts i would gladly like to see um..

Cartman
09-26-2005, 09:19 PM
That's too bad about your car and I hope you get it fixed up asap without a hassle.

A tidbit: A seaman in the Navy is enlisted and an officer has a commission.

CBT
09-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Is that from the big book of Navy trivia? Gotta get me one..

kartherma
09-27-2005, 07:31 PM
A tidbit: A seaman in the Navy is enlisted and an officer has a commission.Another tidbit:
A seaman has a paygrade of E-3, but you generally do not hear of all enlisted as being referred to as seaman. You can refer to pretty much all persons in the Navy as "Sailors" however.

Better still...any Sailors attached to the same ship will at times refer to each other as "shipmate", but the term can be applied between any Sailor regardless of duty assignment.

(no big book here, just a few years on the pond)

torinodan
09-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Another tidbit:
A seaman has a paygrade of E-3, but you generally do not hear of all enlisted as being referred to as seaman. You can refer to pretty much all persons in the Navy as "Sailors" however.

Better still...any Sailors attached to the same ship will at times refer to each other as "shipmate", but the term can be applied between any Sailor regardless of duty assignment.I say most of them on the ship are slimmy POLLY WOGs.:P

CBT
09-28-2005, 11:31 AM
There is a lot of Military in here. Does anyone have an alltime favorite port call or duty station? I would have to say Rhodes Greece.

duhtroll
09-28-2005, 12:05 PM
File a police report.

If they *DO* try to screw you, this is a paper trail you will need to get them to pay at all.

Do it before they get their car repaired and can say "what? That wasn't me."

Trust me.

-A

chicago_cop
09-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Yep, add me to the list of sad MM owners who has had their baby mauled by the carelessness of another.

In this case it was the drunkeness of another.

Note to self...If you park at a pub, you might get drunk people parking next to you...

Last night a "lady" got in her car and cut the wheel hard to the left, looked over her left shoulder and drug her front bumper off at the expense of my Marauder. I have yet to see it in the light. I do know it is worked over pretty good, lots of metal damage on both front and rear doors.

Nice.

Better still is it was in a private parking lot, so no police involvement. She was distressed and called her husband who came out immediately. He wants to pay cash for it, I will work with him on it but I wont let it last for ever either.

So if all goes well, I will get it back to Isaac today or tomorrow for the body shop to get me an estimate.

Dang! If we didnt do this 2 hour thing at work today, I would have been in Yuma and this would not have happend!!!

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

OK, now I feel better

Be good!

OH, by the way...

Very sorry for your damage. It will be repaired and a lesson learned. My wife thinks I'm nuts for parking sometimes two blocks away just to stay away from other cars. I use the club steering wheel lock also ( our cars are the 8th most stolen I understand) I also pray for my cars safety. So far after 24yrs of owning nice looking cars my damage has been almost nill.