PDA

View Full Version : Attn SoCal MMs

torinodan
10-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Because our normal meeting of showing up at Cruising Grand has now wound up for the season has anyone thought of a new gathering place?
It would be great to have a regional get together so members from Las Angeles or farther north and Arizona can meet one another. I'm game to drive anywhere if I have a weekend off from work and I know others are willing to drive as well. Don't know, how about a weekend get together at a drag strip or just a real good lunch to discuss food, fun, and cars?
I'm just throwing this out to try and get something together out here. Ideas anyone? Thanks, TD.

Dave Compson
10-02-2005, 09:26 AM
There is always... VEGAS!!! Im already here waiting. (with others)

torinodan
10-02-2005, 10:07 AM
We have LACR as well, but Vegas does sound fun.

DeepSea117
10-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Is there a Sonic's down south? I kept seeing the commercials for this place, and it got frustrating cuz their food looked so good...!

I'm suggesting Sonic's because it seems car friendly, and they have tables to just relax at. Went I was visiting Florida one time, my ex took me to a Sonic's over there, and all these cars were gathered in the lot, like the drive-in burger joints I'd only see on TV. And I'm down to go to LA for something like this!
Seems like there's one in Anaheim. :bandit:

torinodan
10-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Is there a Sonic's down south? I kept seeing the commercials for this place, and it got frustrating cuz their food looked so good...!

I'm suggesting Sonic's because it seems car friendly, and they have tables to just relax at. Went I was visiting Florida one time, my ex took me to a Sonic's over there, and all these cars were gathered in the lot, like the drive-in burger joints I'd only see on TV. And I'm down to go to LA for something like this!
Seems like there's one in Anaheim. :bandit:
Yup, there's one in Anaheim that I had to visit when I needed my fix. 110 miles trip for fast food but I got satisfied.

DeepSea117
10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Yup, there's one in Anaheim that I had to visit when I needed my fix. 110 miles trip for fast food but I got satisfied.
Seems like a spot I'd like to meet at. Any coastal areas you can suggest?

torinodan
10-03-2005, 02:45 PM
these couple of beach spots look nice
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/nude-beaches-california.html J/K
more places here: http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html
http://www.centralvalleyclassics.com/events.html
and here: http://www.driveonline.com/html/west2.html

ParkRanger
10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Because our normal meeting of showing up at Cruising Grand has now wound up for the season has anyone thought of a new gathering place?
It would be great to have a regional get together so members from Las Angeles or farther north and Arizona can meet one another. I'm game to drive anywhere if I have a weekend off from work and I know others are willing to drive as well. Don't know, how about a weekend get together at a drag strip or just a real good lunch to discuss food, fun, and cars?
I'm just throwing this out to try and get something together out here. Ideas anyone? Thanks, TD.

I agree! Let's get together and have a little fun. :beer:
Somebody name a place and day - I'll be there. :banana2:
Let's do it!

PR :burnout:

NAVCHAP
10-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Vintage Speed Fest is taking place at Naval Air Station North Island, on the flightline, Saturday and Sunday, 08 & 09 October 05.

Military Tickets are 12.50 for one day and 15.00 for both days. Civilian Tickets are 25.00 for one day and 30.00 for both.

This activity is part of Fleet Week in San Diego. It features 1900's to 1980's vintage race cars competing, by decade. They race on a 1.6 mile track that is set up on the tarmac.

The event has a Car Corral for clubs who want to park together. There is an open "pit row" area that allows any attendees to wander in and talk to crews and drivers.

They have vendors booths for food, for auto products, and for military items, like ship Ball Caps, etc. They also have big tents with special collector cars, some worth in the millions.

Last year Vic Edelbrock and two of his daughters were there racing 60's vintage Mustangs. A former 12 HRs of Sebring winner was racing a 60's vintage Corvette. Barry Meguiar had a huge vendor tent.

Not sure how big it's going to be this year, but the '04 event was the best 2 day event of any size I have ever attended, and my avatar shot came out of it.

Coronado is a long drive, but it is easy to find the event. Take the I-5 South into San Diego, then exit on the Coronado Bridge, aka CA 75.

Then follow the road around a couple of bends, cross the main street of Coronado, and continue for several more blocks until you finally hit a "T" in the road.

Then go left and follow signs for Naval Air Station North Island. The main entrance will be on your right. When you hit the "T" in the road you are actually along the fenceline of the base.

The Military Police will help you find your way in, and there may even be tickets available at the entrance to the event, although I can't guarantee it.

If you do a search for "Fleet Week Activities San Diego 2005" or "Vintage Speed Festival Coronado 2005" you should be able to find links to the event.

My brother is coming out from the area of Tower Shops to participate with us this weekend. Many of my car club buddies are going to be there. Another navchap is even going to display his 50 Buick Sedan out there.

Last year, the food at the event was excellent, and the morale building effect on the Military Folks was incredible.

If you're interested, let us know in this thread. -kjs-

RocketCouch
10-03-2005, 08:36 PM
The only places that I know have worked out well are LACR, The Peterson Museum or JBA for dyno tunes.

I would love to meet at some coastal place so we could take pics overlooking the beach. Either that or the Sonic sounds good to me.

NAVCHAP
10-03-2005, 08:50 PM
NAS North Island, where the Speed Festival is located, sticks out into San Diego Harbor and looks at Point Loma, the Coronado Bridge, Harbor Island, and the Silver Strand. It is a breath taking venue. FYI, -kjs-

jefferson-mo
10-04-2005, 07:22 AM
There's also a Sonic Burger in El Centro..........do-able for San Diego guys and Arizona guys(weather permitting). It's pretty new and a VERY large lot and still has carhop service(Anaheim does not)

torinodan
10-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Gotta love car hops, I miss Sonic back home.

kartherma
10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
I would love to attend. Looks like this weekend and next I will be in Yuma with the kids...and the following two weekends I will be cutting waves.

Keep postin!

Oh yeah, been to that Sonic in El Centro, it is a nice one. There is a nice one in Yuma and it is about 1/2 the distance between Phoenix and San Diego. About 180 miles. Add another 90ish for those in Tucson.

I have been meaning to check out the "Midnight at the Oasis" car show series. They put on a GREAT show in Yuma. It seems like they do one every 6 months or so.

anyways, be good!
Curt

torinodan
10-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Well Arizona guys, any of you feel like a trip to Yuma? Any other ideas?

mongo
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Next weekend yes! Have to work this one . Next three weekends I am free. If plans change to so-cal Iwill just have to stay all weekend. My son is at Pendelton.

Mongo

torinodan
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Next weekend yes! Have to work this one . Next three weekends I am free. If plans change to so-cal Iwill just have to stay all weekend. My son is at Pendelton.

Mongo
Thats cool, I'm stuck at Pendleton for the next few months!

shannon corkill
10-05-2005, 05:15 PM
NAS North Island, where the Speed Festival is located, sticks out into San Diego Harbor and looks at Point Loma, the Coronado Bridge, Harbor Island, and the Silver Strand. It is a breath taking venue. FYI, -kjs-

NAVCHAP,

I spotted you on HWY 209 on PT Loma about 2-3 weeks ago.. .. I own a blacked out MM...The joy of getting pulled over in CA for tinted windows.....

Redster
10-05-2005, 05:18 PM

I'll be there in 2008.

DeepSea117
10-05-2005, 05:29 PM
any place closer around SD yall had in mind? for a weekend trip, putting it closer to arizona makes it out of reach for me. and whoever else wants to go from up here, not that i've heard from anyone else up here :)

as it stands, gettin to SD will take about 9 hours or so from SF. another 180 miles would make it a 12-hour trip to get there.

torinodan
10-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Kinda looks like Peterson Museum or a Sonic burger meet. Shoot we have everything up and down the coast if there's anything else. Hardest part will be setting a date.

drgnrdr33
10-05-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm a bit north of y'all but I get all over LA for work. Weekends are usually tied up with family stuff. Keep throwing out possible meet places and times and hopefully one will stick to me....

AzMarauder
10-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Well Arizona guys, any of you feel like a trip to Yuma? Any other ideas?
Yuma sounds like an interesting idea as it does help with the distance! As far as Vegas is concerned, I can get to San Diego in about the same time as it takes me to get to Vegas.

In any event, I am up for something.... I think I am the furthest away in Arizona.

Of course... if you California guys want to road trip... come to Phoenix. They have a Saturday car gathering ( I don't want to say show as there are no trophies) EVERY Saturday. 300-600 cars is the norm.... As high as 1800 on the weekend of the Barrett-Jackson Auction.

If we plan far enough ahead we can get the place to reserve us spots next to each other. (the gathering is in a big mall parking lot... the gathering sponsored by a McDonalds... they have a DJ etc.)

Pavilions is what it is called. Starts about noonish and runs til 10pm.

NAVCHAP
10-06-2005, 05:59 PM
If anyone is looking for me over the weekend, try the vintage speed festival. Saturday and Sunday. One of my brothers is coming out from Florida and we are going to spend some time over at the show, then we will be driving one of my cars to FL to put into storage for about a year or so due to my upcoming assignment.

This event is totally worth it and it is my hope that we will get a few MMs out there. If you come ask for Les Werling or Tim Crain and tell them you are with the Navy Chaplain and that we made arrangements to put our MMs in the Car Corral.

Shannon, PM me with your cell number and you can expect a call from me. Thanks, -kjs-

torinodan
10-07-2005, 02:17 PM
AzMarauder, Sierra Vista is a bit far for use military guys, even for a four day weekend:( . Los Vegas/Phoenix is about far as we can go for a 4 day. Yup, part of our problem is how far we are allowed to travel around on a given weekend. We'll figure something out though as we allways do. This time I'm going to make a trip to 29 Palms to be with family for a day or two. Some more ideas for a meet might be Lake Havasu or Palm Springs?

torinodan
10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey SoCal guys, we've been invited to this.... What do you think? I'm up for a few used parts that I heard about tonight! Thanks to the SoCalStangs.

SUNDAY OCTOBER 16th 2005: 10am - 4pm BIG SHOW DAY!!
ALL SHOWROOM SALES will have a special discount of 10%* All Day - So Cal

DYNO HORSEPOWER SHOOT OUT, with trophies awarded to top place finishers.

Manufacturers' displays on Sunday ONLY!

THERE WILL BE USED PARTS FOR SALE SUNDAY ONLY OCTOBER 16TH -- CASH ONLY !!

All DYNOS will be $39 - No FREE DYNOS on Sunday

Spend over $100 to receive a FREE ALL NEW DESIGN for 2005 Brothers Performance T Shirt.

All will take place at our Southern California location:
2012 Railroad St Corona CA 92880
www.brothersperformance.com (http://www.brothersperformance.com/)
Everything you need to improve the looks and performance of your Pony, All at super LOW PRICES!

TAKE 10% OFF ALL Brothers Performance regular low prices!*

- ALL DAY - SATURDAY AND SUNDAY OCTOBER 15th & 16th

*10% discount applies to all in stock items excluding the following manufacturers - a 5% discount off Brothers Performance's normal retail prices will apply to:

NAVCHAP
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Folks, will be out of town until the end of the month, won't be able to participate in the So-Cal events.

Shannon, good meeting you at the Speed Festival. T-dan, do you know when you will be leaving the area? Carthema, thanks for the phone call today.

Regards, -kjs-

torinodan
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Just reposting this good info, for some of you that would like to know about your Marauders this would be a great day for a dyno pull......at this price.

SUNDAY OCTOBER 16th 2005: 10am - 4pm BIG SHOW DAY!!
ALL SHOWROOM SALES will have a special discount of 10%* All Day - So Cal

DYNO HORSEPOWER SHOOT OUT, with trophies awarded to top place finishers.

Manufacturers' displays on Sunday ONLY!

THERE WILL BE USED PARTS FOR SALE SUNDAY ONLY OCTOBER 16TH -- CASH ONLY !!

All DYNOS will be $39 - No FREE DYNOS on Sunday

Spend over $100 to receive a FREE ALL NEW DESIGN for 2005 Brothers Performance T Shirt.

All will take place at our Southern California location:
2012 Railroad St Corona CA 92880
www.brothersperformance.com (http://www.brothersperformance.com/)
Everything you need to improve the looks and performance of your Pony, All at super LOW PRICES!

TAKE 10% OFF ALL Brothers Performance regular low prices!*

- ALL DAY - SATURDAY AND SUNDAY OCTOBER 15th & 16th

*10% discount applies to all in stock items excluding the following manufacturers - a 5% discount off Brothers Performance's normal retail prices will apply too.

kingsford
10-15-2005, 12:30 AM
I don't know how many of you are going to be in the area, but today, Saturday the 15 there is a car meet at this home depot sized auto parts store at noon in Stanton. I am going to be there around two probably. It's off the 22 and Beach, called SUPERAUTOBEKS.
my.02

RCSignals
10-15-2005, 10:17 PM
you guys need to get together to plan for MV IV

teamrope
10-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Las Vegas would be a cool venue...:)

torinodan
10-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Las Vegas would be a cool venue...:)I'm working on it, how about the Luxor? Anyone say SEMA?

NAVCHAP
10-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Anybody from So Cal want to car pool or convoy to SEMA? Might be fun. I'll be back to San Diego by then. -kjs-