PDA

View Full Version : Rear Heat/Air Problem?

GodOSpeed
03-24-2003, 04:31 PM
I Know this may sound crazy but here goes. How much air is supposed to come out of the rear vent? Mine has been real weak since I purchased it in January. I'm not looking for knots or anything I just want to know if this is a problem or not.:help:

One more question for ya'all did your Marauders come with a cabin air filter? Mine does'nt have one. Service man couldn't tell me why. The darn thing when you would start it up and turn the defrost on there would be a mini snow storm in the cabin. Had to follow a oil burning chevy the other day for 3 miles with 5.0 on my tail it damn near made me puke!! :po: I may have to bail ship if I come across a dead skunk!!!

Murader03
03-25-2003, 12:43 AM
To the best of my knowlegde, there is "NO" cabin filter in the MM. As for airflow from the rear floor vent, mine would seem to be okay, depending on the fan speed. Don't know what would be considered normal airflow! Seems okay though....

Macon Marauder
03-25-2003, 06:21 AM
Rear vents work fine. Kids were toasty all winter...

martyo
03-25-2003, 06:29 AM
In the words of Hannibal Lechter: "I Like My Kids Toasty"

LincMercLover
03-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick...

mtnh
03-25-2003, 08:13 AM
The rear air vent only blows air when the climate control system is in heat mode, from what I was able to determine last year. In other words, its usefulness is determined by your mode of operation, and is likely to be not very useful in the summertime. A really nice feature would have been to provide an A/C compressor switch beside the mode selector, which would allow you to select a vent path then decide if you wanted the compressor running in that path. That is the way my Lincoln LS runs (as do most other cars I see, like foreign cars, my old Peugeot, my friend's Accord, etc) and it sure does afford you alot more comfort. It also give you a mode of heat path only, vent path only, or both at the same time. Distressingly, the MM only offers one or the other, and only A/C in the dash vents. Booooo. With such a fine air moving device at the heart of this car's climate control system, limiting the A/C to just our dash registers seems to be a waste. Nevermind the extra noise you have to live with by having such a high velocity of air blowing through 4 chest-level registers. Adding the heat path to the vents would lessen the noise, and provide greater comfort all around inside the cabin. As for the cabin air filter, no, MM does not include one, but on my LS, it is not effective against odors, only particulates (dust). I often wish that they would produce a filter with an activated charcoal media embedded, for getting rid of odors, like smoking engines ahead, or smoking humans, especially the cigar types.

Mike

GodOSpeed
03-25-2003, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys! Kinda crusty about the cabin filter I quit smoking when I bought this car to keep it smelling and looking new only to have the cabin filled with diesl exaust. Oh well I feel real healthy and alot stronger now anyways! Thank you Mercury!!
(what I saved in cigs made up the differance in payment. Win win win!)
About the rear heat; I think I'll take it in to get it checked out its been gradually slowing down since purchase.

O's Fan Rich
03-25-2003, 09:54 AM
Did'nt know it existed. The front works great!!! That's where I plan to be in this car at all times!!! Dang kids need to toughen up anyway.:flamer:

FordNut
03-25-2003, 11:07 AM
I just tested mine. Press the "floor" or "flr-def" button and it will blow out cold air, assuming the climate control temperature is set lower than cabin temperature. If you go from "auto" mode to this mode, it will automatically cycle the compressor and adjust the blower speed based on how close the set temperature is to the actual temperature. If you manually set the blower speed, it will only cycle the compressor as needed and will not change the blower speed.