PDA

View Full Version : DR Cobra exhaust install time?

rayjay
10-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Guys I need an honest guesstimate if two people are working on it, one a pro, and using a lift and air tools available. Its been sitting in my garage for some time now while my wrench friend frets about the time involved. I need some ammo that its not a major project. I bought it based on his original willingness to help. I'm sure I can do it in my driveway, alone, but I don't have the time right now to lay on back for 4 hours.

Marauderjack
10-07-2005, 03:20 AM
Why not call Dennis for install info?? :confused:

I'll bet he's done a few!! :beer:

Marauderjack :D

RF Overlord
10-07-2005, 04:11 AM
rayjay, I had my exhaust and gears done at the same time, so I can't give an exact breakdown of which part took how much time, but the techs, who were experienced at custom exhaust work, said they were impressed with the quality of the fit and finish of Dennis's kit and that it went together without problem...I'll give them a call today and see if they can remember how much time it took, and any installation tips they can think of.

DEFYANT
10-07-2005, 04:23 AM
Call Dennis.

FYI, It took Kooks all day to get my exhaust in.

Marauderjack
10-07-2005, 04:30 AM
"RF"....

How much of a difference did "DR System" make in your car....Sound and Performance??

I would expect not much performance wise but about the sound.....Louder...Drone??

Marauderjack :beer:

Zack
10-07-2005, 05:39 AM
A pro and a lift should knock it out in less than 3 hours. Took me the same on the ground.

RF Overlord
10-07-2005, 11:40 AM
How much of a difference did "DR System" make in your car....Sound and Performance??jack, I can't rightly say, as I had the exhaust and 4.10s done at the same time, so it's hard to tell how much improvement came from each. I've been told that the cobra exhaust makes a much greater difference when you have a blower...that was confirmed by Lidio during my dyno-tune. As far as sound, I also had Flowermaster 40s put on, so again, I can't tell how much difference there would have been with the stock mufflers.

BTW, what the Bunny thinks aside, I think the 40s are now too loud with the Trilogy...50s would most likely have been right on....or Magnaflows like Dennis has on his Mk VIII...ooh baby... (sound of Homer drooling)

rayjay
10-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys, I'm hoping the Cobra exhaust will help my low end. A Mustang shop "tweaked" my tune earlier this summer. From about 3500 on up she screams, but the low end seems too sluggish. Maybe next spring I'll do gears.

MM03MOK
10-07-2005, 05:39 PM
rayjay, I hate to burst your bubble, but on an N/A car just doing the exhaust system won't help your low end much. These motors are just naturally high-revving and with the tall tires and 3.55s, the low end just isn't there. The gears WILL make a bigger difference...

rayjay
10-07-2005, 08:43 PM
rayjay, I hate to burst your bubble, but on an N/A car just doing the exhaust system won't help your low end much. These motors are just naturally high-revving and with the tall tires and 3.55s, the low end just isn't there. The gears WILL make a bigger difference...
No burst bubble, I know the gears are a big help in the low end. Just looking to free up some power. I'll wait and see where fuel prices go in the next 6 months. A 15-20% hit in fuel economy is hard to take when gas is $3.45 a gallon here in the woods... :(

Tom Doan
10-07-2005, 08:54 PM
RayJay, 3 hours max. I did it with pro tools on the ground with a jack. The trick I had to do is remove the main drive belt to remove the AC bolts and let the compressor hang on a coat hanger wire while doing the manifold bolts. everything fit perfectly the first time, remember to make all connections before torqueing to spec, easy job and no bloody knuckles.

rayjay
11-11-2005, 03:44 PM
DR Cobra Exhaust installed today by my mod friendly FLM shop. There is a noticeable difference, especially when the car used to bog going into 3rd gear at WOT. The exhaust note is throatier, not loud. Glad I had them do it, cutting exhaust pipes with a sawzall, laying on my back is not my idea of fun. Next will either be pullies or 4.10 gears and shiney hiney, but not till spring 06.

MM03MOK
11-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Next will either be pullies or 4.10 gears and shiney hineyCongrats on the new exhaust...enjoy!

While the underdrive pulleys are a worthwhile mod, and relatively inexpensive, the gears will make a much bigger difference. The shiny-heiny is of more value if you have a power adder, or do a LOT of stoplight dragging. IMHO, the order to do them would be gears, pulleys, heiny.

BruteForce
11-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Congrats on the new exhaust...enjoy!

While the underdrive pulleys are a worthwhile mod, and relatively inexpensive, the gears will make a much bigger difference. The shiny-heiny is of more value if you have a power adder, or do a LOT of stoplight dragging. IMHO, the order to do them would be gears, pulleys, heiny.

I would recommend that you do gears & heiny at the same time. No use in paying twice to open the pumpkin up (wish I had followed my own advice).

rayjay
11-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks folks. The gas prices here are still outrageous, $2.97 for Sunoco 93, what :bs: By next spring maybe they'll be down to semi reasonable. If not, I'll do the pullies 1st.

MarauderMarc
11-11-2005, 09:48 PM
DR Cobra Exhaust installed today by my mod friendly FLM shop. There is a noticeable difference, especially when the car used to bog going into 3rd gear at WOT. The exhaust note is throatier, not loud. Glad I had them do it, cutting exhaust pipes with a sawzall, laying on my back is not my idea of fun. Next will either be pullies or 4.10 gears and shiney hiney, but not till spring 06.

I did the pullies before the gears.....I honestly regret the pullies. No noticable difference and my car has 11 volts at idle and will die if I use accessories for 15 min when the car is off. You can buy mine if you want. The 4.10 gears are the second best mod I have done next to the tuner. Do the hiney at the same time...its only 150$ and you might as well if you are doing the gears anyway. PM me if you want my pullies......

BruteForce
11-11-2005, 11:25 PM
I did the pullies before the gears.....I honestly regret the pullies. No noticable difference and my car has 11 volts at idle and will die if I use accessories for 15 min when the car is off. You can buy mine if you want. The 4.10 gears are the second best mod I have done next to the tuner. Do the hiney at the same time...its only 150$ and you might as well if you are doing the gears anyway. PM me if you want my pullies......

Did you have your tune adjusted to compensate for the pulleys? Raising the idle 200 RPM will probably do the trick.

fastblackmerc
11-12-2005, 07:51 AM
You really need to raise the idle speed. I've had my Steeda underdives on for over 15,000 miles (with a tune from DR) and I can honestly the pulleys were the cheapest self-installed HP mod I've done. Pulleys (less than $190.00) + 1 hour of labor = MORE FUN!

MarauderMarc
11-12-2005, 08:02 AM
How do you raise your idle speed? Do you have to use your tuner? I have the SCT 1725 and it doesnt even adjust a/f ratio....I need a new tuner!!!

maraudernkc
11-12-2005, 08:16 AM
2.25 Hours and done on a lift. RWHP is worth about 30 ponies on a Supercharged Marauder motor.