PDA

View Full Version : Tuning questions...

Rider90
10-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Is there software out there that is accessible to the public that you can use to tune your own car or modify an existing tune? Many of you know Scott beer and he has helped me out more than I could ask for, I just get tired of bothering the man. Around here I seem to be getting crappy gas, from BP/Amoco and Shell. Have not tried Mobil, it was my impression BP was the best anyways? I want to retard the timing a few degrees. Winter is around the corner and the gas ain't getting any better.

Marauderjack
10-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Xcal-2 :beer:

Check it out here.....

http://www.sctflash.com/main.php

Marauderjack :D

Zack
10-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Get your file in .zcf format and I can change anything you want.

Petrograde
10-10-2005, 07:34 AM
according to SCT here's what you can adjust:

Wide Open Throttle:
6% Leaner to 14% Richer

Global Spark: -5 to +5 degrees

RPM Adjustment Spark:
0 - 2000RPM: -14 to +4 degrees
2000 - 4000RPM: -8 to +4 degrees
4000 - 8000RPM: -8 to +4 degrees

Gear Ratios:
2.73 to 5.14 Ratios

Choice of MAFs:
80mm to 90mm Lightning SCT Big Air BA-2400 & BA-2800 MAF Meters

Tire Size:
205/65/15 to 315/35/19

Fuel Injector size:
19lb to 60lb Fuel Injectors

Idle RPM: -300 to +300RPM

Cooling Fan: On / Off Temp

Traction Control: On / Off

Two Step: On / Off & RPM

Automatic Transmission Shift Schedule:
WOT 1st - 2nd: -3 to +7mph
WOT 2nd - 3rd: -4 to +8mph
WOT 3rd - 4th: -5 to +10mph
WOT 4th - 5th: -5 to +10mph

Diagnose Check Engine Lights & Clear Trouble Codes
______________________________ ______________________________ ______________________________ ______________________
I just reading the SCT Forums, it looks like some of the features are inoperative at the moment. :rolleyes: One thing I have noticed is the lack of any kind of instructions. I know, I know,.. who needs instructions! ... well,.. when it comes to software,.. I do! :eek:

I hope they fix this stuff soon.

DEFYANT
10-10-2005, 07:46 AM
I just reading the SCT Forums, it looks like some of the features are inoperative at the moment. :rolleyes: One thing I have noticed is the lack of any kind of instructions. I know, I know,.. who needs instructions! ... well,.. when it comes to software,.. I do! :eek:

I hope they fix this stuff soon.
Anit that the truth!! I was getting pissed when I got the Xcal2. I found the answers I needed in the SCT Forums. I started a thread here on it somewhere and linked the solution to SCT.

After spending a big chunk of change on this gizmo, you'd think they would give us a manuel to use it!:mad: :down:

The product it self though is worthy. I have not gotten into the tune, but the data logging is great.

Warpath
10-10-2005, 08:45 AM
You can try using an octane boost additive. I don't have personal experience myself. But, I've heard that prolonged use may clog the 02s.

Rider90
10-10-2005, 09:23 AM
If I uninstall my Predator, will the speedo correction be gone as well? for 4.10s...

Rider90
10-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Get your file in .zcf format and I can change anything you want.
All I've got is .frg

GA-Marauder
10-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Yes it will.

Marauderjack
10-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Do any of you know what the total timing is on a stock Ford tune and what SCT bumps it up to??

I have run a bunch of SCT tunes and all of them have a WOT "Bog" that goes away if you back out of it!! :mad2:

I had a guy write me a ".xtr" file with Ford's stock engine tune and SCT's trans management...may just be the best of both worlds......Linear throttle response with no bogging plus great shifting!!

With Xtreme software you can manipulate a bunch of stuff in "xtr" files and I wondered if bumping the timing up 2 degrees (all they allow) will hurt anything?? :confused:

Marauderjack :D

tmac1337
10-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Call Dave at Injected Racing, www.injectedracing.com, he can alter your tune any way you want it. Your Predator also allows you to adjust the timing + or - 2 degrees. Diablo is coming out with an all new tuner within the next 2 months that is supposed to be light years ahead of the competition. We'll see what it can do. If your naturally aspirated I do not see why you have to change anything.

JohnE
10-10-2005, 11:17 AM
If the car is tuned correctly, a bit of lower octane fuel should not cause drivability issues. There is a knock sensor (1 on 2003MY and 2 on 2004MY) that should be utilized to allow the computer to push the envelop of knock constraints. This allows the computer to pull back timing when you get some poor quality fuel.

From what I have read by Scott Beer indicates a lack of understanding of the intended uses of the factory parameters in the Ford EEC's. If you have ever had a chance to see the factory strategy manuals, you'd be amazed how much there is to it. I think Scott does well with track tunes and max power tunes, but there's much more complication to making a drive train perform in the real world of a daily driver.

By no means am I a tuning expert. However, I've done a lot a research and followed the Ford tuning community for the past 5 years. Currently I perform my own tuning with the SCT Pro Racer package. I've put 70,000mi on the car with a supercharged forged engine (116k total on car) and my tweaks to a SCT tune. Car runs great on the street in all weather conditions and at the track and even when towing my boat, all on the same tune. With exception of my preference to have firm shifts and lockups, you wouldn't be able to tell it’s not a factory tune.

My car runs well with a disconnected MAF Sensor or even a failed intercooler pump. (Don't ask how I know :rolleyes: ) Factory failsafe items have been retained and setup fully functional. These are more important to be than dyno graph bragging rights.

Without a doubt my favorite tuning for Fords comes from SCT.

John Eiswirth

Rider90
10-10-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm not talking about using a lower octane fuel, I always get 92/93 whatever the pump has, but lately the gas has not been very good. Very intresting read, JohnE.

JohnE
10-10-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm not talking about using a lower octane fuel, I always get 92/93 whatever the pump has, but lately the gas has not been very good. Very intresting read, JohnE.

I have gotten 87 octane fuel out of a 93 octane pump at a local Texaco before. I'd call this bad fuel. Here is one advantage of having the ability to create a regular gas tune. I was also able to use regular fuel during hurricane Rita when the only fuel available in the area was one flavor.

The octane rating of fuel is an average of two measured values (R & M). Basically one is resistance to knock at high load the other is resistance to knock unloaded. When pushing the timing hard I've noticed batches of fuel that yield detonation in only one of these areas. Sometimes it's marbles under load and other times its bad all over. Fuel is a blend of multiple components until it meets the legal limits. Sometimes it may stray a bit off on one side and be good in the other, making the batch okay for release. And in this case your engine may not run ideal on it. This is another reason the OEM's keep a little safety margin in the timing tables. And in the case of knock sensors, you can live on the line even if it changes from tank to tank.

For clarity it is useful to provide a general overview of an octane number. An octane number is a quantitative, but imprecise measure of the maximum compression ratio at which a particular fuel can be utilized in an engine without some of the fuel /air mixture "knocking" or self igniting. This self ignition of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder results in a loss of peak power. Directionally as the compression ratio of the engine increases so does the required octane number of the gasoline if engine knocking is to be avoided.

The performance of an engine is dependent upon many factors, one of which is the severity of operation. Accordingly the performance of a fuel is also dependent upon engine severity. To account for differences in the performance quality of a fuel two engine octane numbers are routinely used. Thc Research Octane Number (RON, or F1) simulates fuel performance under low severity engine operation. The Motor Octane Number (MON, or F2) simulates more severe operation that might be incurred at high speed or high load. In practice the octane of a gasoline is reported as the average of RON and MON or R+M/2.

Classically, both numbers are measured with a standardized single cylinder, variable compression ratio engine. For both RON and MON, the engine is operated at a constant speed (RPM's) and the compression ratio is increased until the onset of knocking. For RON engine speed is set at 600 rpm and MON is at 900 rpm.

FCC Octane MON Versus RON (http://www.refiningonline.com/EngelhardKB/crep/TCR4_29.htm)

They test the octane in labs both with expensive analyzers and actual knock engines. And every batch of gasoline must be tested. Guess what, if they don't have the octane just right, they re-blend it. Higher octane than required cost more and lower would get them fined.

Most people have no clue what is in the gasoline and how it gets to your local station. The recipe for gasoline is local government mandated. For instance in large residential areas they may use "reformulated" blends. And there is a difference between winter and summer formulas. Gasoline in most areas come from one source ( a pipeline from multiple refineries ). The difference between the brands of fuel is marketing, distribution and the cleaners added to the blend. The octane rating is created prior to being released at each refinery, this is not changed by the detergents added later. In most cases Brand X gasoline does not come exclusively from Brand X refinery. And in some cases the cleaners may actually be made at Brand Y under contract from Brand X.

In case you're wondering; I'm a control systems engineer currently working on a gasoline blending project at a major refinery in the U.S.

John

metroplex
10-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Then there's the whole executive order that allowed lower quality fuel to hit gas stations to prevent any problems with gas availability. I heard it was lifted on Sept 15 but my exhaust still reeks of rotten eggs. I'm wondering if its still in effect because it covered sulfur content in gasoline as well.

Some MI stations use 10% Ethanol while others don't say anything on the station itself. Mobil's chart shows SE MI to have a 7.6 Reid Vapor Pressure requirement. Also I have not noticed any significant change in gas mileage between "winter" and "summer" formulations. AFAIK SE MI does not use RFG while other parts of the country do use it. I think the Houston metro area uses RFG? This was according to the chart Mobil had on their site.

I'm using Sunoco gas because its convenient for me and never had a problem with their gas. It appears to be very consistent. I've had pinging with Amoco/BP occaisonally and all of the Mobil stations aren't easily accessible on my commuting route.

When I ran SCT's 93 octane tune, Sunoco 93 never failed to prevent knocking. Now that I'm running the stock tune, sunoco 87 also never fails to prevent knocking. I ran some cheap 87 octane gas (Meijer station that uses lowest bidder stuff) and actually got some pinging.

MitchB
10-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I don't know about the other SCT products, but with the pro racer package, you have full access to everything in your Marauder's computer. If you want nothing less than full control, the PRP is for you.

Mitch

Dennis Reinhart
10-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Is there software out there that is accessible to the public that you can use to tune your own car or modify an existing tune? Many of you know Scott beer and he has helped me out more than I could ask for, I just get tired of bothering the man. Around here I seem to be getting crappy gas, from BP/Amoco and Shell. Have not tried Mobil, it was my impression BP was the best anyways? I want to retard the timing a few degrees. Winter is around the corner and the gas ain't getting any better.

A SCT pro racers package does it all

Rider90
10-11-2005, 10:37 AM
A SCT pro racers package does it all
Is that similar to the Diablosport package that only dealers can get a hold of? How much $$$?

Dennis Reinhart
10-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Is that similar to the Diablosport package that only dealers can get a hold of? How much $$$?
I am not familar with what Diablo offers, the SCT pro racers package comes with a Xcall 2 and the software to where you can go in and modify literly any paremeter in the EEC. You have complete access to the Maf transfer function complete timing adjustment as well as transmission functions and it can be updated on the internet with out requiring you to send it back.

The Xcal 2 can monitor over 20 pids at any one time with real time data you can also run a wide bad 02 sensor input into the Xcal2 as well, it is just plain and simple the state of the art tuning for the novice as well as the die hard racer.

Rider90
10-11-2005, 01:57 PM
I am not familar with what Diablo offers, the SCT pro racers package comes with a Xcall 2 and the software to where you can go in and modify literly any paremeter in the EEC. You have complete access to the Maf transfer function complete timing adjustment as well as transmission functions and it can be updated on the internet with out requiring you to send it back.

The Xcal 2 can monitor over 20 pids at any one time with real time data you can also run a wide bad 02 sensor input into the Xcal2 as well, it is just plain and simple the state of the art tuning for the novice as well as the die hard racer.
Is this something only dealers can get a hold of? If not, how much money?

Dennis Reinhart
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Is this something only dealers can get a hold of? If not, how much money?
No its for sale to any one but you have to but it from a SCT dealer

JohnE
10-12-2005, 07:39 AM
One good place to look for information on the SCT Pro Racer Package is on www.modulardepot.com There are pre-purchase forums and a store with prices listed.

Once you purchase the Racer package, you will be allowed into a private forum. Inside this forum is a wealth of knowledge and ability to ask questions and swap files. The racer package is not for everyone. Tuning your car is not easy and it would be your own responsibility. SCT builds you a starting point and you finish it. However, if you want access to all of the settings it is well worth it.

You can certainly go through a dealer to get the package too. By taking this route, you could get a dealer customize your tune (for a fee). And when its over you would still have complete access.

Rider90
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
I keep getting *****ty gas!! :mad2:

I've uninstalled the Predator and I am now saving money to take out the 4.10s. I won't put up with the whine any more... :mad2:

:censor:

BruteForce
10-18-2005, 09:24 PM
I keep getting *****ty gas!! :mad2:

I've uninstalled the Predator and I am now saving money to take out the 4.10s. I won't put up with the whine any more... :mad2:

:censor:

You need to find a competent shop. There shouldn't be any whine.

mercmatt
10-19-2005, 01:16 PM
i think i have the original Xcal which i got from alternative auto. i think the redline shift point is way too high from the noises my car makes when in the zone. is there any way i can adjust it or should i just get the Xcal2. i think it shifts at about 6500rpm at wot

Rider90
10-19-2005, 01:50 PM
6500 at WOT? Way to high IMHO, considering the power levels off at 6100/6200. I would think you could adjust it through the tuner...