PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ticking Sound

bchapman
03-25-2003, 03:54 AM
When I'm idling alongside a building (like at an ATM) and can hear the sound of the engine echoing off the brick, I hear a quiet tick-tick-tick-tick-tick sound. The guy who changes my oil said "Noisy lifters -- it's a Ford, after all."

Is it noisy lifters? Can I do anything to silence that?

Thanks.

SergntMac
03-25-2003, 06:55 AM
I hear this too, and only from behind the wheel. It sounds like I'm a quart low on oil, and the sound drifts to me from behind the glove box, windows up or down. I've heard it from day 1, yet others driving my car do not notice, and I cannot hear it from the passenger seat, or, under the hood.

I have been assured by the SM and wrench at my dealer that some "lifter noise" is normal and common with DOHC motors, and it may be telegraphing into the cabin through the heating/AC ducts. How much I notice over what they hear as normal, can be argued. My previous automobiles were very cabin quiet, and I have enjoyed listening to all aspects of my MM, so, I suppose I could have been a bit too sensitive to it at first. I can still hear it, but I've come to consider it normal.

RF Overlord
03-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Sarge:

Thanks for the 411 on that...I can't say I've heard the noise from MY car, but Mary drives it a LOT more than I get to... :(
Now at least if I DO hear it, I won't be concerned...

God, I love this place... :banana:

merc
03-25-2003, 07:56 AM
The noise that everyone is describing is not noisy lifters but injectors. If you don’t believe me then the acid test is to place you finger on one of the ejectors while the engine is idling.

LincMercLover
03-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Inject! Eject! We all ject! :D :shot:

Fourth Horseman
03-25-2003, 10:55 AM
My '97 T-Bird 4.6 Liter SOHC had the same ticking noise, but curiously only from the right bank. So far I haven't heard it from my Marauder.

WolfeBros
03-25-2003, 11:06 AM
I hear it on occasion, mainly at idle and have attributed it to the fuel injectors. But of course I reserve the option to be wrong. ;)

jefferson-mo
03-25-2003, 11:27 AM
There's multiple TSBs for the Cobra DOHC about the ticking noise.....one of the 'fixes'(which doesn't change anything) is to loosen and retorque the cam retaining caps. One of the original ones was to replace all 32 lifters......

the 'official word' I'm hearing is that Ford's 'working on it' and they'll let us(the dealers) know when they come up with something.

My car does it but I can only hear it in the "Chicken Shack" drive-thru. And only at idle in drive so the engine is at it's lowest speed.
And then it really only sounds like a low knock more than a tick.....

Sarge...if you hear it all the time and loud enough to hear it in the car(I assuume with the windows up) maybe it's a little more than this......

Hey Merc I know of the injector noise but what I'm hearing and what some of the Cobras are experiencing is more of a single tick every 1.5-3 seconds....................... ..

CRUZTAKER
03-25-2003, 11:48 AM
To me it sounded like an exhaust leak tick at the header, same idea, a tick. I asked about this weeks ago, my tech siad it was normal and nothing to worry about.

merc
03-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Yo Jefferson, I am not hearing single ticking noise, thank God. I guess the problem stated is more complex then I imagined.

RCSignals
03-25-2003, 02:40 PM
There was a time guys wanted to hear the tick of solid lifters from their HP engine ;)

TAF
03-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Now...remember RF....this thread is about the "ticking noise" coming from the engine....

NOT the "voices" in your head...:lol:

Sidney
03-25-2003, 04:25 PM
I hear the same noise also. Called LM and they didn't have any fix or recalls. It can be kind of annoying in drive-thrus.

RF Overlord
03-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TAF
the "ticking noise" coming from the engine....

NOT the "voices" in your head...:lol:

Must...drive...to Atlanta......must...put...fing erprints...on TAF's...car...

LincMercLover
03-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Must...drive...to Atlanta......must...put...fing erprints...on TAF's...car...

Good job TAF, you lured him away! Now I'll sabbaoge his car and...

Oh wait a sec... DAMNIT!

bchapman
03-26-2003, 03:27 AM
Thanks, guys, for all the informative input. I had a '97 T-Bird 4.6 too but I don't recall if I ever heard any "heartbeat" from it. I guess as long as I put quality fuel in it, and I only hear the sound with the window open at the drive-through at idle, I'll chalk it up to impatiently tapping feet, getting ready to zoom out onto the highway.

:burnout:

looking97233
03-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Mine does this too. Sounds like an exhaust leak. Or the lifter noise. I can really hear it in the cabin, windows up. It can be heard from idle, but is loudest at about 2000-2500 rpm. I have been wondering about it, I figure I'll ask the next time it goes in (next week.)

handlon
11-10-2003, 09:04 PM
i,ve had my mm to dealer 10 times they say they can,t hear the ticking but replaced lifters and retorked heads it still ticks does any one know what is causing this problem

jgc61sr2002
11-10-2003, 09:12 PM
handlon - Welcome aboard. Check with Triple TA , his engine had a ticking sound that was corrected by the dealer.:(

AFSP13
11-10-2003, 09:53 PM
I took my MM back for a check on the ticking sound they finally admitted they could hear the sound but that they had no documentation from the manufacturer of any problems with the engine . i asked to have it in writing it is documented .

junehhan
11-10-2003, 11:22 PM
My old Crown Victoria also made that light ticking noise at idle. It was actually pretty loud when I first bought it, but got quieter as I started putting the miles on it. I no longer own it, but my father does as he bought it from me a while ago. I still drive it every once in a blue moon when I take it in to have maintenance done on it(parents have no concept of that at all), and it's still not consuming any oil between changes, and still has that light tick which i've chalked upto noisy valve lifters.........

His is a 00 CV with the handling and performance package.

handlon
11-13-2003, 05:37 PM
good news today ford is going to replace the head i hope that cures the ticking noise i will keep every one posted