PDA

View Full Version : res delete tips installed

thePunisher
10-11-2005, 07:29 PM
just installed my res delete tips i received last week...i cant believe the sound difference...worth every penny. thanks !:)

Marauderjack
10-12-2005, 03:24 AM
Do they resonate in the cabin?? :argue:

Marauderjack :D

thePunisher
10-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Do they resonate in the cabin?? :argue:

Marauderjack :D
yes ther is a notable amount of resonance now...but it doesnt bother me...

mpearce
10-12-2005, 07:43 AM
The only exhaust mods I have are Flowmaster 40's along with the Resonator Delete tips. I think both compliment each other well. I never heard one without the other though becauase both were installed together. If you end up getting mufflers to go with your tips, you'll be pleased again at the change in sound over stock. I love my delete tips.

-Mat

blackf0rk
10-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Do the Megs tips, from Innovative Interceptors cost $140 EACH? Or do they cost $140 for a set?

thePunisher
10-12-2005, 08:49 AM
yes i already installed the flow 40s a month ago...but they didnt quite give me what i was lookin for...but the tips finished it off nice....

texasvic
10-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Do the Megs tips, from Innovative Interceptors cost $140 EACH? Or do they cost $140 for a set? $140 for a set of two (2) Resonated Exhaust Tips

$130 for a set of two (2) Resonator Delete Tips

Linky... (http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com/exdress.html)

blackf0rk
10-12-2005, 03:07 PM
$140 for a set of two (2) Resonated Exhaust Tips

$130 for a ser of two (2) Resonator Delete Tips

Linky... (http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com/exdress.html)

Thanks for the insight. That's probably why I haven't bought them yet - I thought the price listed was for one, not a set.

I'll now have to add this to my serious mod list :)

Mike M
10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I have a stock exhaust, how much difference will it make sound wise if I install the Megs resonator delete tips? Drone? Loud? Bad?
I would not mind a little more aggressive sound.

the_pack_rat
10-12-2005, 05:11 PM
I have a stock exhaust, how much difference will it make sound wise if I install the Megs resonator delete tips? Drone? Loud? Bad?
I would not mind a little more aggressive sound. While I didn't do EXACTLY this ... it's close.

All stock exhaust, but I had custom made tips to replace the stockers. NO drone or anything like that ... in fact it baffles(NO pun intended) me how anyone could have even remotely thought the sound was TOO loud & that our cars ever needed resonators in to begin with.

The one & only reason I chose to go with CUSTOM made tips ...

Is ... I have just NEVER been a fan of the "rolled edge" look on an exhaust tip(which is what we have stock). I went with what's call a "slant cut" look at the end ... the look of rest of the tips are near the same as the OEM's

If you like the factory style rolled edge ... then I see NO reason not to get yourself a set from Wes ... everyone's been happy with them.

The only one & negative thing ever said was a COMPLETE mis-understanding which had NOTHING to do with the product itself NOR Wes ... & this person has since stepped up to the plate & fully accepted the confusion as ignorance on their part.

Again ...

I only chose to do what I did ... because a "slant cut" type exhaust tip is what I've always liked best poking out the back of any vehicle I've owned.

I fully recommemd you get them based on everything I have read here ... if you like the OEM look that is free of the resonators.

:up:

Petrograde
10-12-2005, 05:23 PM
These are on the top of my list for 'stuff I want' but,.. I'll probably wait til I get my Kook's setup next spring. :D

Blackened300a
10-15-2005, 07:04 PM
OK Im Convinced! I just ordered my Res-Delete Tips.

I only waited this long because I had no idea if that price was for a Pair or only One
Now I know, And Now they are ordered!

fastblackmerc
10-15-2005, 07:55 PM
While I didn't do EXACTLY this ... it's close.

All stock exhaust, but I had custom made tips to replace the stockers. NO drone or anything like that ... in fact it baffles(NO pun intended) me how anyone could have even remotely thought the sound was TOO loud & that our cars ever needed resonators in to begin with.

The one & only reason I chose to go with CUSTOM made tips ...

Is ... I have just NEVER been a fan of the "rolled edge" look on an exhaust tip(which is what we have stock). I went with what's call a "slant cut" look at the end ... the look of rest of the tips are near the same as the OEM's

If you like the factory style rolled edge ... then I see NO reason not to get yourself a set from Wes ... everyone's been happy with them.

The only one & negative thing ever said was a COMPLETE mis-understanding which had NOTHING to do with the product itself NOR Wes ... & this person has since stepped up to the plate & fully accepted the confusion as ignorance on their part.

Again ...

I only chose to do what I did ... because a "slant cut" type exhaust tip is what I've always liked best poking out the back of any vehicle I've owned.

I fully recommemd you get them based on everything I have read here ... if you like the OEM look that is free of the resonators.

Do you have any pics??

texasvic
10-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey Wes, looks like I just helped with 2 sales.

You can hold my commission until the next time we meet.

:P

Mike M
10-15-2005, 11:16 PM
I just ordered a set.

Marauderjack
10-16-2005, 03:17 AM
I PM'd Wes but no reply yet......

Do the Delete Tips come with hangers already welded on?? :confused:

I would like to install them like another member did.....Weld a slip flange on them and use an "Easy Clamp" to install them....no permanent welding so I can go back to OEM easily if I want to!! :banana2:

Also I don't want to butcher the OEM's by cutting the hangers off!! :argue:

Marauderjack :cool:

thePunisher
10-16-2005, 06:27 AM
no the hangers have to be welded on to the new tips....

Marauderjack
10-16-2005, 06:47 AM
Did you fabricate the hangers yourself or cut them from the OEM's?? :confused:

Marauderjack :)

Blackened300a
10-16-2005, 07:56 AM
no the hangers have to be welded on to the new tips....
Thank God for the Quality work of American Muffler!!
They have their own Hangers so no Butchering the Stock Tips.

thePunisher
10-16-2005, 10:49 AM
i cut the stock hangers off the old mufflers with my plasma cutter. then i welded the holes in the stock tips shut. then smoothed them out...

the_pack_rat
10-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Do you have any pics?? Check your PM's.

Marauderjack
10-17-2005, 03:21 AM
Eric....

No PM's??? :confused:

wchain
10-17-2005, 07:16 AM
I buy the tips from Megs before the resonators are welded in, and no, there are no hangers from the tips, because sometimes people like to 'extend' their tips out a little, so its really where you want it to be installed!

:beer:

Shora
10-17-2005, 08:05 AM
I too just ordered a set. Is there any advice on what I should tell the installers to do since I would like to keep the originals ready for future use? How much should the installation cost?

By the way, I have the Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40’s. The sound is much better than stock with absolutely no cabin drown. I ordered these delete tips because I want an even more aggressive sound but I am fearful about an annoying and constant cabin drown since I mostly do highway driving.

Any advice/ opinions if these delete tips with the Delta-Flows will cause a cabin drown. If yes, is there a way to minimize it?

Thanks in advance guys. Man I love this site and the people who take their time to help the rest of us.

Marauderjack
10-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Hey Wes...

Is there a possibility you could special order a set with the OEM hangers??

Marauderjack :beer:

SergntMac
10-17-2005, 08:40 AM
There's so much 411 on exhaust systems on file here, it would take you days to sift through it.

Briefly, I avoided the evil cabin drone by adding a two inch section of pipe between the OEM exhaust pipe and the delete tip. After welding, this extended the tip out past the rear bumper cover by about an inch. You can read the "Megs" engraving clearly now, but more importantly, the exhaust drone does not reverberate back through the trunk into the back seat. I like the look.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9997&cat=500&page=1

Haggis
10-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Here is the Thread I started when I added the deleted tips.

The Black Bomber gets new tips (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13560&highlight=black+bomber)

the_pack_rat
10-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Eric....

No PM's??? :confused:

Marauderjack :cool: Eh ?.

Eric < --- Confused

lol

Blackened300a
10-17-2005, 04:02 PM
I have Cherry Bomb Vortex Tuned Mufflers. They sound Awesome with the Stock tips. Ill post a Video or sound clip of before and after the Res Delete tip install

Shora
10-17-2005, 08:43 PM
There's so much 411 on exhaust systems on file here, it would take you days to sift through it.

Briefly, I avoided the evil cabin drone by adding a two inch section of pipe between the OEM exhaust pipe and the delete tip. After welding, this extended the tip out past the rear bumper cover by about an inch. You can read the "Megs" engraving clearly now, but more importantly, the exhaust drone does not reverberate back through the trunk into the back seat. I like the look.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9997&cat=500&page=1Sounds like great advice. Will make sure it gets done.

teamrope
10-18-2005, 09:04 PM
i cut the stock hangers off the old mufflers with my plasma cutter. then i welded the holes in the stock tips shut. then smoothed them out...

That sure beats using a hack saw like I had to do. :depress:

Gave me a good excuse to get a new mig welder though. :)

Marauderjack
10-19-2005, 04:09 AM
Hey Folks....

I looked inside my OEM tips to see the resonator and thought the thing had holes in it like a lawn mower muffler?? NADA.....It seems it is only a "reducer" of sorts?? :confused:

If it had been like a lawn mower muffler I was going to run a sleeve in it and see how loud it was before ordering the Delete tips!! :beer:

Foiled again!! How do these things work?? :argue:

wchain
10-19-2005, 06:24 AM
Hey Folks....

I looked inside my OEM tips to see the resonator and thought the thing had holes in it like a lawn mower muffler?? NADA.....It seems it is only a "reducer" of sorts?? :confused:

If it had been like a lawn mower muffler I was going to run a sleeve in it and see how loud it was before ordering the Delete tips!! :beer:

Foiled again!! How do these things work?? :argue:

Its just a piece of pipe welded solid through to reduce the amount of noise reverberation trhough the larger 3.5" Tip. I.e. the sound is not 'allowed' to bounce around until the last few inches of the tip (where the pipe ends).

With the deleted ones, theres much more room for the sound to bounce and echo for a more 'authoritative' sound.

Marauderjack
10-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Wes....

How bad is the "Drone" inside the car?? :mad:

I really like the quiet at cruise but noise on acceleration!! :beer:

I guess "Dual Mode" mufflers are the way for me if I do anything at all?? :bows:

Marauderjack :coolman:

wchain
10-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Just to update everyone, the tips are arriving this afternoon ( was out of stock) I will be boxing and packing this weekend, and will generate Fedex numbers monday morning! You will get the tracking # via email!

Thanks to all!
Wes

mercmatt
10-23-2005, 08:32 AM
wow awesome thread. when the car goes to sleep in a few weeks, this is the first thing i am doing. as well as an x-pipe. so im guessing the only mod you need to do to this is have a two inch pipe to extend the tips past the bumper and then weld the OEM hangers on to the new tips?

Blackened300a
10-24-2005, 06:12 PM
I have a appointment for dyno tuning in 2 weeks, If I went ahead and installed the Res-Delete Tips after the dyno tuning, Will it change any of the settings of my tune being the car was dynoed WITH the Stock Resonated tips??

I Dont Think it will make a difference but I'd rather be sure
Thanks

1stMerc
10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I've come up with the first sound tuneable exhaust tips ala Supertrap. Unfortunatley it involves a bit of time and effort and a couple of trips to the hardware store.
While the delete tips are nice they would be a little to loud for my taste, on a daily basis and prove a hassle when i wanted a little quieter ride. I drilled 8 7/16" holes in the rear part of the resonator flange. I then took Navigator in hand and cut off the tips (the order doesn't matter).
Now the hard part was drilling 8 holes in the section near the tail pipe. There is a bit of a rise of the resonator just past the opening to drill the holes. For this you need a centerpunch, a vise and a foot long 1/8" BluMol (brand doesn't matter) drill bit since you can't drill regular due to the size of the opening. The foot long bit provides just the right amount of flex to drill the pilot hole (after centerpunching) follow this with a 1/4" bit. You then remove the part of the tail pipe that remained in the tip to be replace by an appropriate sized reducer section. I then welded it back on the tail pipe or you can have it done. Wish i had seen the post of the flanges that Haggis did to his tips, before project completion that is a totally cool and bonafide idea.
Don't know if you could talk a muffler shop into doing this and how much they would charge as it is rather time consuming, or if they would even have the required drill bits in house.
Now if i want to quiet her down all i have to do is screw bolts in the flange holes as appropriate. Gives a nice mellow tone at idle and sings when opened up. I had Magnaflows (now for sale) taken off and the Flowmaster Delta 40's put back on for better sound.
At some point i may follow Haggis's lead and weld flanges on the Flows and the stock mufflers for ease of swappablity.

Smiles for miles
Waymon

Rider90
10-24-2005, 09:13 PM
I have a appointment for dyno tuning in 2 weeks, If I went ahead and installed the Res-Delete Tips after the dyno tuning, Will it change any of the settings of my tune being the car was dynoed WITH the Stock Resonated tips??

I Dont Think it will make a difference but I'd rather be sure
Thanks
no difference, but if you decide to add a Jeg's sticker you better go back to get it retuned.

Blackened300a
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
no difference, but if you decide to add a Jeg's sticker you better go back to get it retuned.
:lol: :lol:

I hear the JEGS Sticker adds 10 RWHP

"Rear Window Horse Power"

Shora
10-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I too just ordered a set. Is there any advice on what I should tell the installers to do since I would like to keep the originals ready for future use? How much should the installation cost?

By the way, I have the Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40’s. The sound is much better than stock with absolutely no cabin drown. I ordered these delete tips because I want an even more aggressive sound but I am fearful about an annoying and constant cabin drown since I mostly do highway driving.

Any advice/ opinions if these delete tips with the Delta-Flows will cause a cabin drown. If yes, is there a way to minimize it?

Thanks in advance guys. Man I love this site and the people who take their time to help the rest of us.Well, I have had the res. delete tips installed and (thanks to the advice of the members on this site) extended so that the Megs label can be read. I want to thank Wes for being such a great vendor to this site.

Now to the review: I had the Flowmaster Stainless Steel Delta Flow 40's installed on the car because it is way to quite stock. Made a night and day difference in my opinion but still just a bit to quite on WOT. After installing these res delete tips the car is much louder especially at lower speeds. There is also cabin drown but again only in the lower speeds. On the Highway they are fine and dandy (I literally forget that I have them on until I get to much lower speeds again). Overall I am very happy with the purchase and would do it all over again in a heart beat. The only problem is, and I am not joking about this, is that my miles per gallon have dropped dramatically. I have lost about 60 miles per tank since this upgrade. I love the sound of the Marauder so much now that I stay on the gas much more then I need to just so that I can hear the beautiful sound of the exhaust. I really try to remind myself to get off the gas a little but hey you cannot have the cake and eat it to. :D

SergntMac
10-30-2005, 10:40 PM
All you need to do to side-step the "drone" is avoid 1800-2200 RPMs while driving around town. No worries...Once you grow into EEC tuning, whether it be SCT, or, Diablo, you'll get a chance to retune your OEM tranny shift program. This will allow you to reshuffle the "overdrive" and "torque converter lock-up" schedules, and you will learn that you can adjust your "driving around town" tranny shift schedules, and RPMs. Once you do, you'll find the "drone" gone. Until then, just shut off the "OD" while cruising Main Street.

Blackened300a
11-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Well Today in the mail I recieved My Shiny new Res-Delete Tips! Right After Work I headed out to my My Favorite Exhaust Shop and had them Installed. for you NY guys, American Muffler on Old Country Road in Westbury is by far in my opinion the Best Place to go. My Marauder was taken Right away, They Promptly Cut off my old Tips, Added a little Extension Pipe to Bring the Tip FLush With the Bottom Lip of the Bumper cover, (Im not a big Fan of having the tips Stick Out, I like a nice Clean and Tight Look to the rear of the Car) They Even made me a new Mounting Braket instead of Cutting the old one Off the OEM tip. Well 15 minutes and $25 Later I Started the Car and I Said Out Loud "WOW"! I finally can hear what the Mufflers were meant to sound like! The engine sounds like it gained a few more Cubes with the New Tips installed. At Idle I have a Nice Mellow Rumble, While Cruising, There is a definate noticable Drone in the car, At Full Throttle, It lets out a Very Throaty Roar! At some points the Car seems Quieter, like just crusing at 65-75mph, however, In Traffic, The Drone is rather loud, Even with the Windows Closed.

Bottom Line, Im happy with this Mod, I really like the sound and the overall tone of the engine, but If you are not a fan of Drone, Then this is not for you!

jgc61sr2002
11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Yes I have to agree they do nice work. They did a complete exhaust system on my 1973 Toronado.

Architect
11-09-2005, 12:32 PM
I think I'm probably the "only one negative"...etc...:shake:
If I may...Let me say that The product (megs) and Wes are both of top notch quality...:beer:

architect

While I didn't do EXACTLY this ... it's close.

mpearce
11-09-2005, 01:27 PM
All you need to do to side-step the "drone" is avoid 1800-2200 RPMs while driving around town. No worries...

Guys...this is great advice. I find this to be true myself. As my car shifts through the gears, there are certian rpm bands that pick up the drone. If you're cruising at a constant speed, feather back the throttle a bit, and you'll find that your drone disappears. If you're still accelerating, wait until the droning rpms pass by, and it'll go right away. I have flowmaster 40's which are supposed to be the "loud" mufflers, and the megs tips as well...so if anyones going to have a drone problem, it's me. I can cruise on the highway at 65, and not even notice anything is done to my exhaust. But, I can also cruise down the neighborhood street at 30, and people can hear me coming a mile away. It's all in how you control the pedal.

-Mat

junior
03-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but my marauder is also too quiet for my tastes, but I'm not sure what the drone talk is about. When I drove it home from Denver, I noticed that it had what sounded like an axle whine at about 40-50 mph thru the twisties of Utah. Could that be the drone you guys are talking about? BTW, the exhaust is stock.

GA-Marauder
03-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but my marauder is also too quiet for my tastes, but I'm not sure what the drone talk is about. When I drove it home from Denver, I noticed that it had what sounded like an axle whine at about 40-50 mph thru the twisties of Utah. Could that be the drone you guys are talking about? BTW, the exhaust is stock.

No...Drone is a low frequency resonance in the cabin, in our case from modified exhausts.

Breadfan
03-30-2006, 02:29 PM
No offense but I kinda like drone...

In my Mustang I'll keep it at 2000rpms sometimes b/c that's when the flowmasters I have are the loudest. :)

I can understand in the MM drone might not always be welcome. Gordon (Haggis) has the great solution of welding on flanges that allow you to swap between the two tips - cuase sometimes you don't want drone.

For me alone in my car though, give me drone in an RPM range and I'm happy, if I don't like it in the Mustang I just down or upshift accordingly. :)